1991 Coleman cable replacement confusion

Discussion in 'Lift Systems' started by kunuter, Aug 15, 2011.

1. kunuter

kunuter New Member

[?]I am attempting to replace a broken lift cable on my 1991 Coleman Laramie camper. I've downloaded the lift repair manual and have all the necessary supplies and tools. But now I am very confused. According to the manual, I have a 1991 Americana series which requires a 52" pole for support and adjustment. The raised height of my good corners is only about 50.5". Even trying to shove it, there is no way I can get these poles to fit. Verified the proper position (body rail and weatherstrip mounting), I know it's a Laramie 'cause it's painted on the side. I was confused on the year, though. My registration says 1990, but the VIN breakdown has a year code of "L", which is 1991. Either way, I'm stuck on the first step, which is not good. Any advice???

2. Matt O

Matt O Strangers are friends who have not yet met

What size supports do you need for a 1990 Coleman? If those instructions have the right height for step 1, I would follow those steps for everything. It could have been manufactured in 1990 but have a vin from 1991.

3. kunuter

kunuter New Member

I also thought of that, but following the chart in the manual, there is no listing for a 1990 Americana(laramie) camper. I'd have to go back to a 1989 to get the shorter dimensions. I also thought that it may have been that far out of adjustment (it is obvious the main cable on this corner has been replaced before), but I don't think the canvas can stretch that far.

4. dgeddes

dgeddes Member

When I repaired my lift cable I didn't follow the instructions exactly but it turned out just fine in the end. The important thing is that you support the roof on the corner where the cable is broken while you are doing the repair. Raise the roof enough to get the lift arm out, and then once you have replaced the cables and routed them through the lift arm, just re-install the lift arm, lower the roof all the way down, and then route the cable all the way back to the whiffle tree. If you cut the cable to the proper length you should be pretty close on the adjustment and you can then make sure the corner with the new cable is raising the roof to the same height on that corner as the other corners.

Hopefully that makes sense? I guess what I am saying is that I never worried much about the length of the support pole, we just used boards of different lengths and they seemed to do the trick.

5. Dusty82

Dusty82 Active Member

Check the pulleys on the 4 corners of the frame, under the pup, where the cable disappears into the frame and up into the lift arm. Someone may have done a top height adjustment a while back by moving those pulleys in their brackets. According to the manual, moving the pulley 1 hole changes the top height 1 1/2 inches - which is what your measurement is off by.

Personally, I'd try moving any 1 pulley 1 hole and trying to lift that corner higher than the rest with the support pole. If it works, there's the problem. If the top won't go up as high as the others, you moved the pulley the wrong way - move to another hole in the opposite direction.