1991 jayco 1206, convert to electric brakes

Discussion in 'Tires / Brakes / Bearings / Axles' started by New Old Jayco, Sep 27, 2021.

1. New Old Jayco

New Old Jayco New Member

Good afternoon, all. I'm hoping for some help in finding what I need to do in order to add electric brakes for my old (new to us) camper. I have already had my TV wired for a 7 blade plug, and have the same on my camper. And I have a brake controller. I'd like to put on electric brakes, but I've run into a road block.

I ordered 7in brakes assemblies, and hubs for the 1 1/16" spindles. However, the spindles are just barely too short. The spindle nut won't go on enough to allow for the cotter pin hole to be exposed. (I'm told these shorter, welded-on spindles are categorized as STUB.) Originally, this 1206 deluxe had hydraulic surge brakes, but they are all dried out and probably haven't worked in decades.

So, here are my questions for anyone who has done this before with a 1206:

1. Will I need a new axle with spindles that can accept electric brakes/hubs? (I'm assuming the answer is yes.) The original is a Dexter Torflex.

2. Do you have a Dexter model number you would share with me?

3. On another, related topic....did you find that a new torsion axle gives any more ground clearance, given that the rubber is newer?

Thanks for your help! I've enjoyed working on this camper and we've certainly enjoyed diving into pop up camping as a family!

2. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

. On my old 1990 Jayco without breaks this was what my repair shop said I would have to do if I wanted to add electric breaks. I never did it as I was on a very tight and limited budget and new axle, tires etc wasn't in the cards for me. Not sure if he was just blowing hot air for more $$$ so take it with a grain of salt.
    Good luck on my new to me camper I love my electric breaks as I don't have to think about it unless I switch tow vehicles. It's so worth adding breaks so I do wish I did upgrade my old one.

3. New Old Jayco

New Old Jayco New Member

Thanks for the reply! This sounds in line with what I've been told (and what I've experienced, after unsuccessfully putting on electric brakes and hubs.) And good luck with your new-to-you Fleetwood.

4. John Kytasty

John Kytasty New Member

Look for a shop that builds / sells / supplies utility trailers rather than an RV shop. They'll have a much better idea of what to to.
    Seems like your best bet is to swap in a new axle. You will have the chance to change the ride height if you'd like to do that; Dexter has many options from using and axle with a different downturn of the trailing arm to spacer blocks between the axle mount flange and trailer frame.

5. SteveP

SteveP Well-Known Member Platinum Supporting Member

Contact Dexter customer support with the model and year of your pup. If the original axle was built by Dexter they'll be able to give you the specs, or if necessary, build a new one for you.

6. New Old Jayco

New Old Jayco New Member

Thanks for the advice. I contacted Dexter and they pointed me to one of their suppliers (Redneck Trailers in Tuscumbia, AL). I'm going to storage today to double check all of my measurements and then place an order for an axle with brakes and hubs/drums attached. I'll likely also get a larger angle on the trailing arm as you suggested. Scraping on the driveway is no fun.

7. New Old Jayco

New Old Jayco New Member

I did contact Dexter and they were very thorough and helpful. Looks like they'll be building a new one for me, since it doesn't seem like anyone would have this older, light weight axle in stock.

8. Carl Schwarz

Carl Schwarz New Member

I bought a full electric axle kit. It was not much more than the price of just the electric drums and if you don't have the right axle for electric brakes you would need to modify the axle anyway.
    I bought it in Australia from a place called Huntsman products. Not sure if I'm allowed to link here but here it is: https://www.huntsmanproducts.com.au...mper-trailer-part?_pos=4&_sid=1e4f87a4c&_ss=r
    I also did the axle swap myself, the swap was pretty easy as there were just 4 x U-Bolts holding the axle to the suspension.
    This is my old axle: IMG_20200918_091758.jpg [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 10, 2021