1991 Starcraft Starflyer. Won't crank up

Discussion in 'Lift Systems' started by StarflyerBC, Jul 8, 2019.

1. StarflyerBC

StarflyerBC New Member

Hello,
    I recently bought a 1991 Starcraft Starflyer and I couldn't crank the roof up on our first camping trip. I had it set up in the driveway for a month and it had cranked up fine. When I put it down, everything was fine and then the crank just started spinning until the roof was about 5 inches from closing. I finished packing it up thinking/hoping it was just a fluke.

Sure enough, not a fluke. We arrived at the campsite and the roof would not crank more than 5 inches. Turning the crank became quite difficult and made a loud bang noise with every turn but the roof wouldn't go up. We were able to push the roof up with 4 people while one cranked. We survived the weekend but same deal when I tried to set it up when we got home.

I have been searching for ideas on what it is but mostly coming up with how to fix things. Most of the repairs look straightforward but I'm not sure what is actually broken or how to figure it out.

Thanks in advance for your advice and help.
    Lori

2. eoleson1

eoleson1 Well-Known Member

The first thing I would do is to crawl underneath it as do a visual of the winch itself. I suspect that's where you'll find the problem.

J Starsky likes this.
  3. StarflyerBC

StarflyerBC New Member

Thank-you so much eoleson1. I really appreciate having a place to start.

4. eoleson1

eoleson1 Well-Known Member

There is a manual for your lift system in the resources area. It may help you understand what's going on when you do the visual.

5. StarflyerBC

StarflyerBC New Member

J Starsky and eoleson1 like this.
  6. J Starsky

J Starsky Well-Known Member

I emailed StarCraft and they had a full PDF manual for my 1984 Starflyer. Worth the email!

eoleson1 likes this.
  7. J Starsky

I think, maybe, you have a single cable to pull 4 lay cables. I'd be something snapped on the single pull cable setup. If you get under there, take some pics if you are confused at what you see. We can help more with some pics of your setup. Good Luck!

8. StarflyerBC

StarflyerBC New Member

I've attached some pictures of things that don't look quite right to me. Should the pulley be straight and doing something? I also noticed this hook on the other side of the pulley that looks like it should be doing something, possibly to the left cable? I have also uploaded some other pictures of the lift system.

I will tackled removing the winch plate tomorrow. It's raining here and I also just discovered water on one of the beds. I thought having a camper was suppose to be fun :)

Thanks in advance for any guidance. The lift system is starting to feel a bit intimidating to tackle.

Note: You may notice we have brand new tires, hubs and wheel bearings. Right before I tried to crank up the camper (first trip with the camper), I noticed a huge bubble in one tire and a grinding noise.

20190709_141706.jpg ?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 10, 2019
  9. J Starsky

I truly wish I knew more about what you system is suppose to look like, because something is certainly wrong. All those cable and pulleys don't hang by themselves, doing nothing. Time for you to study the layout and try to get it all back to where it belongs.

10. StarflyerBC

StarflyerBC New Member

It looks like we found the problem. The bushing where the driveshaft enters the winch must of broke years ago and wasn't repaired. It looks like the years of cranking it up and down (before us) caused the bushing to become an oval. Now the driveshaft slips and shifts in the oval instead of continually cranking. I've attached a file from the manual with pictures of the problem we're facing.

We're looking to replace/update the winch, housing and driveshaft.

Any leads on where to get parts (in Canada or ships to Canada) or can we simply update the system with any old winch and driveshaft?

Thanks.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 14, 2019
    J Starsky likes this.
  11. J Starsky

Is there enough of a bearing race that a number is still on it? You might be able to order a replacement bearing from someone more local. I would try to stay stock as much as possible. Wish I could help with a Canadian source. Does StarCraft themselves have any tips or contacts for our up north folks? Provincial dealers or anyone?