1991 Sun-lite Discovery 181

Discussion in 'PopOut (Hybrids)' started by rolodetective, Nov 10, 2012.

1. rolodetective

rolodetective New Member

Today while looking at a Rockwood Freedom, my sales person showed me a 1991 Sun-lite Discovery. Man this thing was cool...literally in like new condition. Since it's the off-season they'll take $2995. I've never seen one before and I searched the internet using 1991 Sun-lite Discovery 181 as my search and I didn't find much. You enter from the back on this particular model, had a potty and shower immediately to the left with a dinning and galley beyond that, couch and sitting area beyond the galley and double decker queen beds beyond the couch.
    Very cool unit and looked to be of pretty substantial construction (corrugated aluminum).
    Just wondering if anyone has any info or experiences with this model.
    -Rolo

2. Penny Logan

Penny Logan The traveling teepee in her Dreamcatcher

I have a hybrid Sunlite Apache, 1999 model. The company went out of business and I have never been able to find any info on mine, but I love it all the same.

3. 01YZF6

01YZF6 Dothan, AL

the only sunlite discovery I have seen was a 19 footer with a roof that expands UP 2 feet.

4. Mickeyrv

Mickeyrv Week day camping is great

[PU] [HYC] Post some pics, I would like to see it.

5. Hawkester

Hawkester Hawkesnest

6. Storm Trooper

Storm Trooper Home is where you park it!

For those of you who know Tim Conway, his Dorf character would be perfect for this camper.

7. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

The big advantage I see is that like my TrailManor and a Hi-Lo, it has (mostly in this case) solid sides but no high, exposed frontal area to cause wind resistance when towing. I also like the swing up/down rack system for the cabinets. It doesn't seem like it would take long to set it up.

8. bondebond

bondebond New Member

Storm Trooper, you're dating yourself.

9. Storm Trooper

Storm Trooper Home is where you park it!

bondebond,
    [LOL] [LOL] [LOL],
    Obviously you know who Dorf was. I certainly wouldn't be able to get in that door without any injury.

I'll end this with "A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away." With no comment on my age.. [;)] [;)]

10. bondebond

bondebond New Member

And so I revealed a little about my own age. Carol Burnett and Friends was one of my favorite shows (when I was a little bitty kid)!

11. camper2009

camper2009 New Member

I had a "Shadow Cruiser" Pop up truck camper on my 6 ft Truck box that was much like these units.. It raised some 24 or more inches like this and worked really well .. The disadvantage is the short door meaning you had to bend over to get in and mostly back out leaving.. Very easy to set up in minutes. I traded it in last year for my new Palamino pop up and no regrets.. Due to age(of me) and back and leg problems it was time to loose it.. They still make them in different names but you do not see a lot around. I maybe see two or so each summer..
    g

12. Nixie

Nixie New Member

We are actually going to look at a 94 Sun Lite Eclipse this weekend. The door is on the side on this model and the canvas attaches at the top of the door to make it "taller". Only the top part pops up which gives like 2 more feet of head room. (Is it considered a hybrid or just a true pop up? ;) ) If the condition is good, we might get it and sell off the pop up once it gets warmer.