1992 Jayco King SD 6 converter / light question

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by ESommer911, Sep 16, 2019.

  1. ESommer911

    ESommer911 New Member

    Messages:
    4
    Likes Received:
    0
    Joined:
    Sep 16, 2019
    A few things:
    1. The 12v lights on the ceiling and "porch light" do not work. 110v electrical outlets work fine.
    2. The fuse that is missing in the pic, blows immediately when a fuse is inserted.
    3. Anybody have a full wiring diagram for this camper? Is there such a thing?

    I am guessing (or hoping) that there is a correlation between the lights not working and the fuse blowing. A wiring diagram would really really help track down the issue. Or does anyone know what that last fuse to the right runs?

    Also, how hard is it to change this whole converter out? Like to upgrade/update for a little more power?

    Any and all suggestions are welcome. Thanks in advanced! AC Convertor - Jayco.jpg
     
  2. McFlyfi

    McFlyfi Active Member

    Messages:
    404
    Likes Received:
    168
    Joined:
    Aug 1, 2014
    Location:
    Thousand Oaks CA
    Battery polarity:
    White = Negative
    Black = Positive
    Are you hooked up correctly?
     
  3. burtonfamily101

    burtonfamily101 Member

    Messages:
    42
    Likes Received:
    15
    Joined:
    Aug 8, 2017
  4. SteveP

    SteveP Well-Known Member

    Messages:
    1,470
    Likes Received:
    397
    Joined:
    May 21, 2015
    http://carson-mfg.com/wp-content/uploads/Carson_CP-20FK-2_Manual.pdf
    Because your converter has charge capability battery polarity is important. Make sure that the wire with the inline fuse holder is connected to the battery + pole. Also note that your model, FKCR2, calls for 1 15 and 2 7.5 amp fuses. The charger only puts out 3 amps so if your battery polarity is right I don't think the battery is the problem, but an extremely depleted battery can pull a lot of juice so make sure your battery is fully charged.
     
  5. ESommer911

    ESommer911 New Member

    Messages:
    4
    Likes Received:
    0
    Joined:
    Sep 16, 2019
    No battery is currently hooked up... Which may actually be the reason. I will have to look at the terminals where the battery should be as it looks like the previous owner did some rewiring of his own there. Thanks for the tip!
     
  6. ESommer911

    ESommer911 New Member

    Messages:
    4
    Likes Received:
    0
    Joined:
    Sep 16, 2019
    Thanks! See my reply on the next post. I think NOT having the battery and the homemade wiring mess may be the cause. I will be looking into it later today. Thanks!
     
  7. jmkay1

    jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

    Messages:
    4,738
    Likes Received:
    1,642
    Joined:
    Oct 10, 2013
    Location:
    Northern Virginia
    I had an older Jayco and once when my lights were not working I discovered the wires that ran from near the dinnette table aka the converter to the roof were kinked. On mine the wires ran through a pocket so that complicates things a bit. Thankfully my issue was closer to the beginning. Can’t help you with the fuse as my old converter although similar only had one fuse. As bare bones as they came back then.
     
  8. ESommer911

    ESommer911 New Member

    Messages:
    4
    Likes Received:
    0
    Joined:
    Sep 16, 2019
    Thanks everyone, I was able to narrow it down to a kink in the wire... causing that fuse to blow.
    Now on to the the next fix.. Thetford cassette toilet pump not working, lol.
     
  9. MNTCamper

    MNTCamper Active Member

    Messages:
    858
    Likes Received:
    173
    Joined:
    Jun 14, 2014
    Location:
    MN
    In regards to a new converter, yes, you could easily replace with something like a WFCO 8725 which would give you more power, capacity and circuits. It will also give you a better battery charger if you intend to dry camp and sometimes charge your battery from hookups.
     
  10. Raycfe

    Raycfe Waterford Ct.

    Messages:
    15,104
    Likes Received:
    1,373
    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2007
    Location:
    Waterford, Ct
    The first thing I would do is check the bulbs in the lights ...... if the wrong bulb is installed it could cause a short. The inside of the sockets the bulbs go into are either single contact or two contacts. The wrong bulb would cause your problem. Post what you have for socket contacts and we can suggest the correct bulbs.
     

Share This Page

  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.