1992 Starcraft starlite Rebuild with pics

Discussion in 'Camper Restoration Projects' started by Rhconcepts, Jul 22, 2017.

1. BigTap

BigTap Active Member

Well i ended up getting an external bathroom for now privacy tent, toilet, and solar shower. I am.toying with the idea of removing the ice box for either a double stack of draws or toilet storage for when we cant use the privacy tent similar to your set up.
    I was looking at the water setup you have and dont recall seeing if you posted a conclusion to if you had to do anything with the pump and water hook up you had. You mentioned a worry that the city water would prevent the pump from working correctly.

2. Rhconcepts

Rhconcepts Active Member

I replaced the faucet with a house hot and cold faucet so city is on cold and the pump is on hot. No worries about feed back now. Here is a video I made showing off the pump with cut off foot switch. https://www.youtube.com/edit?o=U&video_id=234RN_y2cKY

3. Rhconcepts

Rhconcepts Active Member

Today I made my cabinet for the new stove. Its a few pounds more but I should make up the weight by dumping the pans and large cast iron skillet I bought last year.
    I made it the same overall height so it will go under the bench for travel. The stove is bolted to the counter top.

IMG-1502.JPG IMG-1504.JPG IMG-1505.JPG IMG-1506.JPG

ezakoske likes this.
  4. BigTap

BigTap Active Member

looks great!

5. ezakoske

ezakoske Active Member

Great build log!!

6. DFire2

DFire2 Active Member

Anything more on the roof progress?

7. Rhconcepts

Rhconcepts Active Member

Nothings changed with the roof and its holding up great. I did replace the vent cover that got cracked last year in a hail storm. The cover just came off the camper and it looks great. Im adding a fuse block system so the lights, heater, water pump and USB outlets all have separate fuses.

DFire2 likes this.
  8. Rhconcepts

Rhconcepts Active Member

Well I got the black stone hooked up to the main gas line but the stove cant be used in that location, heat comes out the back and its to close to the canvas. If I had a shield behind the stove it would be fine. So Im going to un-mount the grill and put the feet back on it. The grill will be placed on the end of the long table leaf that I made and the cabinet will stay and just act as a cabinet and extra counter space. Ill add another photo after I get it unmounted and set back up.

9. lakkdainen

lakkdainen New Member

Great work! This is awesome! I recently bought a 1991 and seeing this helps immensely. At the very least, I need to redo my roof, and hope to redo the entire thing when time/money permits. I see you reused the aluminum edging from the bottom of your roof... what did you replace the rubber gasket/seal with?

10. Rhconcepts

Rhconcepts Active Member

Actually nothing was reused on the roof except for the metal trim that holds the gasket in place. The sides are flashing from Home Depot, they come in a roll of 25 feet or so and are brown on one side and white on the other. As for the gasket I believe I purchased that online and as long as it fits in the groove it should seal. Start looking for parts before ripping the roof off. You may find the original gasket online someplace.
    I would have loved it if I could have used the original aluminum metal top but it was corroded so bad it could not be saved.

11. Rhconcepts

Rhconcepts Active Member

This will be the end. The camper sold and I am looking for a new project.
    Thank you to everyone that helped me.
    IMG-1897.JPG IMG-1924.JPG IMG-1926.JPG IMG-1928.JPG IMG-1931.JPG IMG-1932.JPG
    Sold for 2000.00 6/1/2018

DJS12354 likes this.
  12. Woodrow SC RT11

Woodrow SC RT11 New Member

For future reference, you may consider a welders blanket to place behind the blackstone or stove. Could hang it from the roof and is designed to deflect heat. I think they are pretty cheap and can pick them up at any hardware store with welding supplies or at harbor freight and come in many different sizes.

13. Woodrow SC RT11

Woodrow SC RT11 New Member

I had a 70's camper with an icebox and used it a lot. It worked just like a cooler, just had to make sure the block of ice was still in it. The tray had a drain tube so the water drained outside the camper. The block ice takes up a fair amount of room, but a block would typically get me through a weekend of camping and kept food just as cold as a cooler would have.

Another thought may be one of the electric coolers that truckers use, run on DC and will cool to about 35-40 degrees below ambient temp. They are typically small and cheap (<$100 new), or i see them come up on places like craigs list often for around $40. They would insulate like a cooler if you placed cubes in them during travel and then plugged in at site, or hook it up to DC system and it should run off you battery depending on draw. Couple of thoughts anyway.

Rhconcepts likes this.
  14. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

Ok I have watched this rebuild from the start. You did a great job on it so the only questions I have are why did you sell it & how much did it end up costing you?

15. Rhconcepts

Rhconcepts Active Member

I paid 500.00 for it and might have put 800.00 into it plus my time. Im looking to buy a utility trailer and convert that into a camper. I want something I dont need to setup and is water tight.... I have seen alot of nice conversions from the utility trailers and it looks like fun :)

16. PUPLizCA

PUPLizCA New Member

What material did you end up using for the counters?

17. Rhconcepts

Rhconcepts Active Member

I used 1/2 and 3/4 in plywood that has pine in the center and a birch finish. Its very light weight and used for cabinet faces. For the top i just applied formica with cement.

PUPLizCA likes this.
  18. Cameron

Cameron Member

Rh, Crazy you sold your camper!! I still have mine. I need to go through and ad finished photos to my rotmobile thread. Only a few more small things that need to be done to the interior, I ended up canning the fridge since the replacement was $500, I figured a Rtic cooler at $159 bucks would do the trick. I'm going to try and ad "2 1/2 lift block spacers on top the torsion axle so I'm not dragging bottom up the mountain.

19. PUPLizCA

PUPLizCA New Member

Have you thought about doing a spring over vs adding spacers? That gave me loads of clearance.

20. Cameron

Cameron Member

Mine has the torsion axle in it.