1992 Starcraft starlite Rebuild with pics

Discussion in 'Camper Restoration Projects' started by Rhconcepts, Jul 22, 2017.

1. R&B camping

R&B camping New Member

So what did you end up using for the roof ? I know you used rolled metal on the sides but what about the top?

2. Rhconcepts

Rhconcepts Active Member

So the roof is wood with all the seams and corners fiber glassed. Then a nice coat of primer that works on wood and fiberglass, I think it was a oil base. And the coating that I think you're asking about is a rubber roof paint for flat roofs. I used this brand and when I sold the camper this year it was still holding up like the day I put it on. :)
    Oh the wood was luan underlayment 1/8" thick for the top

Flygirl95 likes this.
  3. Pnut

Pnut Member

Someone got a steal on your camper. From what I saw they basically got a better than new camper (except for canvas). You did a great job and thanks for posting all the pictures and details. I'm sure this thread will help many others in the future.

jessMN likes this.
  4. Nat2341

Nat2341 New Member

Hi there,
    I am replacing the flashing on one side of my camper and have been searching urgently for someone who can tell me how to take the metal trim off that holds the gasket so I can put the flashing under it...I cant find screws anywhere and I dont have time before this weekend to remove any glue!
    Please help

5. Rhconcepts

Rhconcepts Active Member

I can’t remember if it had any screws from the bottom. If there is you would need to take the gasket off to reach them. After you get the trim off it will also be held in place by a sealant. So after removing the trim you’ll have to clean up the old sealant. Then add new sealant and then push it into place and I believe screws are held in from underneath, then the rubber seal is pushed into the trim. I’ll look through my pictures and if I find anything that proves there is screws I will let you know

6. Nat2341

Nat2341 New Member

Thanks so much for your reply! You were right they are under the gasket...
    I did eventually find them by ripping out the trim but now I need a new gasket

7. Rhconcepts

Rhconcepts Active Member

When I purchase a new gasket I know for a fact it didn’t match the old one. I basically just looked for one that had the same design to fit in the groove of the trim. GL

8. Nat2341

Nat2341 New Member

Thanks, I will keep looking!
    The trim still wouldnt come off anyway...it was so loaded with butyl tape and a previous roof repair includes intense corner reinforcement. If I take it off I will have to redo alot of the roof so I just sealed the new side panel with lap sealant.

Now Im camping and the left side of the roof wont come down!! Argh!!
    I cant get the tray off that covers the gears...
    If I dont get it by tomorrow I wil have to snip them to leave the park