1992 Williamsburg Americana Roof repair

Discussion in 'Roof/Floor Repair & Maintenance' started by mbuxx, Jul 29, 2015.

1. mbuxx

mbuxx New Member

I noticed some old water damage in the roof and around the sink area on our NTU 1992 Williamsburg Americana. I'm not quite sure where to start. But it does look like it needs a new roof seal. There is actually about an 8 inch section where it is missing around one of the corners. It doesnt seem to leak when the roof is up, only when its closed and there is heavy rain.

I also noticed that when I latch the roof down, the end caps seem to pull apart ever so slightly... I've seen some of the write ups on here about replacing the wood and sealing it up. I will have to check that out when I have some more free time.

I was looking at this roof seal on ebay, but the guy says it will not work with my camper. I don't see the difference.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/COLEMAN-FLEETWOOD-ABS-ROOF-SEAL-41-STORAGE-SEAL-15-COMBO-/131558154508?hash=item1ea17a210c&vxp=mtr

Does anyone know of a place in canada to get coleman replacement parts :( The exchange is crazy right now and I would like to avoid it if possible.

If I replace the roof seal, can I just throw some caulking between the roof end caps and the roof to hold me over for now? I already bought some flooring and plan to do something to the countertops but I dont want to get too far if its going to leak :(

Thank you in advance, Mike.

2. mdigby

mdigby New Member

I can relate to your dilemma, but I live in the USA, so I cannot help you with a source for your parts. We did not need to replace the seal.

We also had to repair the roof on out 92 Coleman. Here is the thread, maybe it can help you. http://www.popupportal.com/index.php?topic=49794.msg380333#msg380333

My advice is that take the time to do it right and do it once. If this project isn't what you want to do, you are probably better served by buying a different camper or in the very short term covering it with a blue tarp after you set it up.

More caulking is not the solution in this case. On my camper I applied wide strips of Eternabond tape under the caps. This will work for you also, but the key is to make sure the roof is clean before you apply, and to plan the application be cause the adhesive is very strong. You'll only have one chance to line things up.

If the roof latches are beginning to pull loose, you may want to secure the roof with a ratchet belt over the roof and under the camper, at the front when traveling, until the roof is repaired. If the latch fails and you are traveling at speed, bad things will happen to the camper and could also happen for fellow travelers.

I'd be glad to answer more questions if you have them.

3. mbuxx

mbuxx New Member

Can anyone else chime in to as if the weather seal I linked would fit my 92 Coleman Williamsburg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. edh

edh Active Member

If you tarp it I would suggest doing something so the tarp is arched and the water runs off rather than pooling. Alternately, tilt your camper as much as you can (probably a good idea anyways when storing). I thought a blue tarp was protecting mine and when I pulled the tarp, water that had pooled on the tarp had actually leaked through it...

5. mbuxx

mbuxx New Member

I ended up buying an actual cover made for pop ups, the roof racks form the perfect slope for drainage :)

6. Harrison_Creek

Harrison_Creek New Member

I don't think that is the right seal for your model and year. The eBay one is for an abs roof and I think you have an aluminum roof with a much smaller channel for the gasket to fit into.

I am looking for a seal for a 1990 Sequoia (see photo). As you can see in the photo, the little arrowhead part of the gasket fits up in the channel in the roof trim and the two little flaps seal the bottom ledge of the camper when it is compressed. I have ordered a one foot piece of a seal from Beckley's that I think might work for mine. It is due in this week. I will try it and post the results.

Attached Files:

7. mbuxx

mbuxx New Member

Your right Harrison creek. Had to send it back to beckleys