1993 Coleman Cape Cod Renovation

Discussion in 'Camper Restoration Projects' started by Formula388, May 1, 2017.

1. Formula388

Formula388 New Member

I am currently in the process of redoing the pop up that I purchased in October 2016. I found it at a garage sale in decent shape for $1500. My fiance and I are first time pop up owners. I have been camping much of my life on land in a tent and she has spent much time camping on the water in a boat. The previous owner was able to show me how to set it up and take it down. What really convinced us to buy this camper was the unique hard sided walls. The bunk ends are still canvas.

Here is the original brochure advertisement (found on here in the resources area)
    [​IMG][/URL][/IMG][​IMG]

When we purchased it we wanted to just clean it up a little bit as it had been used but seemed to be in okay shape.
    Here it is as we found it, it still looked like the advertisement above. Straight from 1993.
    [​IMG]

And an outside look at this hard sided pop up:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As we started, the domino effect came into play and one thing turned into another and now we are on the path of basically redoing everything on the interior at least. Our initial inspection showed no wood rot, though the frame had surface rust. I later found some roof rot on the front and rear side panels of the roof. The top is solid still. That will have to be a project for later.
    So far we have stripped out the interior. (Kept the walls up)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Inspected the electrical. Had a few minor issues that are now taken care of. We also put in a new GFCI, new outside outlet (inline with gfci) and changed the other interior outlet to have USB inputs in it.
    Lighting is being changed to all LED. LED on the left and Incandescent on the right.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

All seat cushions have been reupholstered professionally. No pics yet, they look good though!

Cabinets are in the process of getting painted (spraying with Rustoleum Universal Paint and Primer, gloss white)
    [​IMG]

Spray Painting: This was LOTS of paint and lots of layers. I am still not doing painting everything.

[​IMG]

Counter Surfaces are being resurfaced with new laminate. (Hint: ask your laminate supplier to look through broken/ discontinued pieces, we got over 60% off a 5'x10' piece.)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Edge banding being installed. It is looking good. I got 3/4 edge banding for most surfaces but also needed to buy 1/2" edge banding for the outside stove area. The cheapest place I found it was on ebay. I needed to buy 3- 20ft rolls of the 3/4" and 1 20" roll of the 1/2" I will have extra but that is how I got the cheapest price.

[​IMG]

The flooring is in, it is a single sheet wood look vinyl. We removed the old floor, made a template out of paper, layed the new floor out, cut and installed. I will be using construction adhesive in a few spots to hold it in place but really all the screws for the cabinets will be holding it in for the long haul.

[​IMG]

My father helping with the process :)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I have much more planned and will hopefully keep you updated on the progress if anyone is interested.

Last edited: May 13, 2017
  2. Jenkamus

Jenkamus Active Member

what a great find! I think the hard side walls are so neat.

Good job on the update, cant wait to see how it all turns out!

3. Darlene B.

Darlene B. New Member

Thanks for sharing your photos! We just bought a very used 1993 Coleman Cape Cod, and are trying to inventory what it needs. First priority is canvas repair from mouse damage. :( We would love to replace the canvas, but it would cost way more than the entire camper.

4. Formula388

Formula388 New Member

My canvas also has mouse damage. The previous owner patched it and that is good enough for us for now. I have more pictures to update this I will get up later this week. Luckily for Cape Cod owners we have half the amount of canvas to replace from other pop ups since we have hard sides. If I recall when I was pricing things out canvas was less then $700. A bit much but worth it if everything else is good. I also have the original owners manual (and receipt) for the Cape Cod that I haven't been able to find on the resources link on here. If you need that I can get to scanning it in the future.

5. Darlene B.

Darlene B. New Member

Love the brochure, it shows the heyday of the camper. I'd be interested in anything you scan. We've never camped this way before, so we're kind of the Laurel and Hardy of the popup world for now. The first thing we did was get the camper up and break something underneath. Luckily, it is in the yard for now, and my husband managed to get it down. I'll watch for your updates. Looks like you're doing a great job!

6. IngieBee

IngieBee New Member

I never saw one of these! It's awesome! I would love to know how it sets up! I'm off to find more info

7. Formula388

Formula388 New Member

Test fitting the first cabinet. This was before I put the edge banding on it.
    [​IMG]

This shows the gloss paint very well. Obviously the door isnt hung yet in this picture.

[​IMG]

Second cabinet being installed. This time with the edge banding. This also shows the USB outlet installed. The cover just barely fit with the counter top on. The thickness of the floor which is slightly higher then the original coupled with the thickness of the counter top which went on top of the original one made some areas a little tight fit.

[​IMG]

I didn't paint the edge on this, really because I didn't realize it would be visible. Also the previous owner must have drilled holes in the cabinet face and I didn't realize it when painting that they weren't supposed to be there. Otherwise I would have filled them in. Luckily the edge isn't visible with the cushion on and the holes are hard to see as well because they are under the overhang of the counter top.

[​IMG]

Here are both of them installed with edge banding. It is slowly starting to piece back together again.

[​IMG]

With the added cushion and seat installed. The LED lighting is creating a streaky yellow and white light and I dont care for it much. The cushions have a strange yellow hue to them in this picture.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

With the last cabinet for that side installed it seems like we are finally making progress. The door and drawer pulls are installed as well.

[​IMG]

Moving on to the other side of the interior, the first dining seat is installed. Excuse the mess of tools on the bunk. Also visible is the poor patch job the previous owner attempted after a mouse problem. In this picture you can also see the cheap battery gauge with switch and usb outlets installed next to the electrical center.

[​IMG]

With the table installed, We decided against painting the table legs for now. The brown doesnt go bad with the new floor and we feel that the legs with all the pivot points may not paint well. You can also see the electrical center installed at this point.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A view looking in:

[​IMG]

My mother is making us new curtains and valences :) here she is after we test fit the valences. I don't get why the handles for the walls are in such a bad spot, nor do I understand how the original valences overcame this problem.

[​IMG]

This is the spec sheet on the inside of a cabinet door, just incase anyone needs any specs without going to the pop up.

[​IMG]

I also added some pictures to the original post. I didnt realize there is a character and picture limit for each post.

8. Sotovoce

Sotovoce Active Member

I had forgotten that Coleman made those hard side campers. You're doing a fantastic job and are well on your way to turning your Cape Cod into a glamper. Keep the pictures coming and do include some after you finish the renovation.

9. christbride

christbride New Member

I love the hard sided popup. now I want one.

10. 87ColemanLaramie

87ColemanLaramie Member

Looks great, good luck with the rest of the renovation. Good move updating the interior fabrics (I'm still stuck in the 80s) and the floor looks fantastic. As long as the canvas isn't leaking I wouldn't worry about going to the expense of replacing it. It looks to be in good shape except the one hole. Maybe hang a picture over it? :wink:

11. Formula388

Formula388 New Member

Thanks for the kind words everyone, I will update with pictures later in the week for anyone following along.
    My mom is all done with the curtains and valence. They came out great. We reused the original clips, as the ones from amazon were not correct for our track.
    The seating is all done. I now have to finish the kitchen area. Then I am in the home stretch with just many small details. I have gotten a chance to really get into the working details of the pop up. I found a poor connection from the battery.
    I ordered "Loadstar K399 Bias Trailer Tire - 205/65-10 - Load Range E" from etrailer.com @$62.55 each with free shipping (I found them cheaper elsewhere after the ordering process. I would have saved $16 from trailertiresandwheels.com, oh well.)

My next big project for the pop up is putting it on the automotive lift in my garage and treating the frame to some POR15. Then, doing a full inspection under there and redoing anything that needs to be redone.

My BIG goal is to be done before Memorial Day as we have friends with property upstate New York and plan to take it up there for the long weekend.

12. Darlene B.

Darlene B. New Member

Hi, everything is looking super! Question, does your door have glass in it, or just screen? Ours only has screen and we are wondering if glass is doable for cool weather camping. So far, everything we have done has caused something else to go wrong. :)

13. Rideswithchrist

Rideswithchrist Member

That looks amazing! Did you just use cans of gloss spray paint?

14. Pickle1959

Pickle1959 New Member

Hello,

I have a coleman cape cod camper and I had given it to my son. Now I have just gotten it back and need a cope of the owners manual would love to just print one on my printer. Any help would be welcomed. Love what you did with the camper. Thanks,

15. BethB

BethB New Member

Hi Darlene. I have a '94 Coleman Yosemite and the panels in my door are plastic and allow light. Hope that helps. BethB