1993 HiLo

Discussion in 'Camper Pre-Purchase Questions' started by Lady Mj, Jul 7, 2021.

1. Lady Mj

Lady Mj Member

Hi everyone,
    So I came across an ad for a 1993 HL camper. The guy says he’s only the second owner and everything in the trailer works. I haven’t looked at it yet in person but the pictures look great!
    Any tips, thoughts, advice….thanks so much!

M

2. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

Prior to moving to a TT, I wanted a HiLo.

kcsa75 and Lady Mj like this.
  3. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Raise and lower it while you are in his driveway yourself before buying. Look it over very very carefully to make sure everything works and you don’t see water damage etc.
    Now I don’t know your level of handiness but I suspect you are not going find RV shops willing to work on them. Because they are not made any more, and even suspect they wouldn’t know how to if they never seen one themselves. I would also worry about finding parts that could be specific to a high low.
    Good luck and hope it works out for you. I’ve been wanting a high low or trail manor myself for years. Sadly they are not something you see around here on sale. Had a buddy with a Dutch oven group that let me walk through his high=low and it was so cool.

neighbormike and Lady Mj like this.
  4. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Un-Supported Member

What are you towing with? Hi-Los can be heavy.

Lady Mj and jmkay1 like this.
  5. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

Buy it

Lady Mj likes this.
  6. rabird

rabird Howdy!

Sjm9911 and Lady Mj like this.
  7. Lady Mj

Lady Mj Member

If I decided to look at it I was going to ask the owner. Or do some digging. I would love to but it but I am getting ready to put my house up for sale and have to get that squared away 1st. The owner is not in a hurry to sell, so we’ll see what happens;) Thanks.

8. Lady Mj

Lady Mj Member

9. Turfit

Turfit Member

I had a 86' year model, it leaked hydro oil underneath the camper. The seal between the top and bottom was worn out and leaked water into the camper when driving down the road in wet weather that led to water damage.

10. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Un-Supported Member

As with anything electrical, mechanical, hydraulic, weather exposed, etc., it has to be maintained.

1380ken likes this.
  11. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

So cool!!!!!

12. Turfit

Turfit Member

Yes, all things needs to be maintained. But if I'm going to be looking at buying a Hi-Lo trailer, I will be looking closely at the hydraulic cylinder and the seal between the two pieces of the camper based on my past history of these campers. How many other campers do you know that has a hydraulic cylinder and a seal going around the camper very close to the ground when in the transport position? These two things are unique to this camper and should be useful for someone looking at one for the first time.

xxxapache likes this.
  13. rabird

rabird Howdy!

Coleman had a hydraulic lift on some models.

Turfit likes this.
  14. RichRL

RichRL New Member

Go to the Hi-Lo Trailer Forum to get answers to your questions: https://www.hilotrailerforum.com/. there are over 11,000 members there and someone will be there to answer your questions. Parts are available from a couple of sources that were associated with the Hi-Lo company. Other than the lift system components most everything else is generic to most travel trailers. As with most trailers, you will want to check for bowed walls and other signs of water damage. What is the model of the Hi-Lo?

15. vagov

vagov Well-Known Member

MJ, I agree with wrkrbee, first you need to look at what your tow vechile is, And what you can tow safely . hi lo campers are cool, but depending on what your looking at. They can still be pretty heavy, even canvas pop ups. Weigh more than most people realize,especially with slide outs . Not 100 % sure , but I’m pretty certain that they sell, plus service. Hi lo campers at Kerola,s camper sales in Hermitage Pa. only 1.5 hours north of Pittsburgh. Is the used hi lo ad you saw local to Pittsburgh? I wouldn’t mind looking it over myself , I am no expert , but would give you my personal opinion on it, even if you don’t buy I may be interested myself If you don’t mind.

16. vagov

vagov Well-Known Member

Is this it? DEA06BDB-2A4A-4B56-9DC0-BFE1DC2D4F96.png

17. Turfit

Turfit Member

If it is this one, GVWR is 6300 and over 26' in length. But it looks good in the pictures and that front window is super clean!!!

18. vagov

vagov Well-Known Member

I was in the beaver falls area today visiting as I got family that live down that way, was going to actually ride over and physically look at this hi low today, however. Started to rain heavy. So opted out, I get down that way quite often , so maybe next time if it don’t sell beforehand. It looks pretty nice in the pics, however it also looks like a big camper. Almost as long as my fifth wheel. ( more than I would want as a secondary unit). Probally wouldn’t buy for myself. But May definitely be worth a look

Sjm9911 likes this.
  19. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member