1993 Skamper 17C remixed

Discussion in 'Checkout My Rig !' started by justins, Jul 20, 2021.

1. justins

justins New Member

I've been working on this off and on for about 5 years. This last burst of work took about 3 months to complete. I kept the original box, frame, lift system, roof skin, interior cabinets but really went to town with the rest of it. I focused on:

- Roof resurfacing with grizzly grip urethane and ceiling rebuild using durable FRP and PVC materials
    - Replace the tent canvas with brand new custom made canvas from Canvas Replacements
    - Replace and rewire trailer vehicle lighting with LED lighting, and really organized it to make it all user accessible for repairs or future modifications.
    - Remove heating, propane and plumbing equipment. We never cook or wash up inside. I've never been a fan of propane in a tent.
    - Install 12V DC Solar PV system with 200W of solar panels and a 105Ah AGM deep cycle battery.
    - Install 12V DC and USB outlets throughout the trailer.
    - Install remote control zone dimmable LED lighting in the trailer.
    - Refinish the interior with new paint, new cabinet pulls, new flooring, new counters and new trim.
    - Rebuild the exterior of the trailer using aluminum sheet metal and angle aluminum trim.
    - Replace wheel hubs, wheels, and tires with contemporary parts.
    - Replace trailer tongue jack (hired a welder to get rid of the old plates and install new ones do I could put a larger bulldog jack on)
    - The osb floor needed a bit of rebuilding in the corners and I also added some angle iron under the door and the inside of the front cabinet by the door to stiffen it up a bit - the 8' box had trouble with the large pullout at the front right at the door. The door would pop open sometimes when shifting weight while sleeping. Screwing the osb down to the frame through the angle iron and screwing the upper leg into the box fixed this nicely.

I am a professional filmmaker and had grand ideas about redefining my practice over the last year of the pandemic. What I ended up doing was this tent trailer. I am going to do a little youtube series on it, but here are a few before and after photos.

We just did the inaugural trip and it was fantastic.
    20180930_114058.jpg PXL_20210524_182039258.jpg PXL_20210529_212908547.jpg PXL_20210619_205259251.jpg vlcsnap-2021-07-20-10h44m22s988.jpg PXL_20210715_124142609.jpg PXL_20210715_124205772.jpg PXL_20210715_131624761.jpg PXL_20210715_131952699.jpg PXL_20210715_132014576.jpg

Last edited: Jul 20, 2021
  2. Sabman

Sabman New Member

Absolutely beautiful! Nice job.

justins likes this.
  3. PaulaBrensinger

PaulaBrensinger Active Member Silver Supporting Member

I love the fun yellow exterior paint job, and the clean light airy interior!

justins likes this.
  4. DaWallys5

DaWallys5 New Member

Very nice job ! End results are to be commended !

justins likes this.
  5. bobinfleet

bobinfleet Well-Known Member

Great job, well done it looks neat in that colour.

justins likes this.
  6. ccarley

ccarley Active Member

Nicely done! I totally dig it. the lighting is a great idea too.

7. Lady Popup

Lady Popup New Member

It's beautiful! Love the yellow, we just bought our first popup, a 93 Skamper also.

justins likes this.
  8. justins

justins New Member

Thanks, Everyone. We only managed to go out a couple of times this summer after completing the build in July, but they were amazing trips in the renoed trailer. It functions really well. Some highlights for you:

- The door stays closed when we're moving around inside. These 8' trailers often have issues with the box flexing when open - I stiffened everything up with some angle iron screwed through the floor into the frame and then to the side of the box in the corner on the door-side. You can see it in one of the images in the post.
    - The solar DC system is really amazing. We run the lights, some fans and charge our devices with it and they hardly put a dent in the battery. Base on our usage, it charges in sun/partial shade by noon. When it is mixed-cloudy, it is fully charged by about 4:00pm.
    - It is nice to have reliable wiring for the trailer lights - skamper had used those vampire clips to split wiring all over the place. These corrode over time and the stock trailer lights would sometimes work, sometimes not. It is nice to feel confident everything is working.
    - We do not miss the sink or interior propane at all.
    - The extra space afforded by removing the plumbing, propane and cold box allows us to store our stuff in a way that it is not all over the place. We even have room for a small porta-potty where the cold-box was.
    - We picked up a nice Pelican cooler that we keep in the vehicle. It held ice for 3 days straight. When we arrived home, everything was still properly cool and not floating in yucky water. This it totally the way to go for keeping food cool. The original Skamper cold box was really not useful.
    - It's nice to have the little touches - the wood counters, the flooring, the paint, the dimmable lighting. We were stuck inside one evening due to rain and it felt really lovely to watch a movie and read some books in there - very cosy and comfortable for everyone.

Thanks for the kind words. There are a few little things to still do, but it will take just a day to get it all done, which is nothing when measured against the time it took to do the build. We're all happy with it. I hope to get a few years of adventures in with my daughter before she's too cool to go camping with her parents. On the other hand, I can't wait until my wife and I go on some adventures of our own.

9. Katskamper

Katskamper Well-Known Member

mine is a 2003 & yes the dang vampire clips have caused me grief!
    looks very nice.