1994 Coleman Destiny Rio Grande - I'm not handy but will learn!

Discussion in 'Camper Restoration Projects' started by RoseTheJinx, Apr 8, 2017.

1. RoseTheJinx

RoseTheJinx New Member

So, here is my 1994 Coleman Destiny Rio Grande. The canvas was worse than was thought, but the inside was better than we thought. Does that make sense?

I know this is backwards from what most people want, but I with to take out my galley. I don't want the water hookups or the heater. I have no intention of cooking inside. I have tent camped for several years with 6/7 kids and a husband with a physical disability that leaves me setting up camp myself... We do get weather down to 40*, but we have camped (in a tent) in it before with 6 month old infants. You just have to be prepared. We have camped with all weekend rain in a tent... That is why we have a 10x10 pop up canopy to add in a dry cooking space as well as play area. I actually have a full set up for an outdoor camp kitchen. So I have no desire to have the heater or galley. I can actually see my littles (youngest is now 2 & Eldest is 9) getting into trouble with it.

Attached Files:

2. Morgan23

Morgan23 Member

Congrats on your new PUP! We had a Coleman Destiny Royale as our first PUP and loved it. In the five years we had it, we never once used the galley. We had the small pump sink and a two burner cooktop and the whole space was wasted. Usually, we'd put a hamper on top of the cooktop and a trash bag in the sink. We did all of our cooking outside, too, so I can see where you are coming from. I think I saw somewhere that a person took their galley completely off and used the extra space for a bench by adding upohlstered foam. Good luck with your PUP!

3. kjspitzer717

kjspitzer717 New Member

4. kjspitzer717

kjspitzer717 New Member

My 23 year old son and i just bought a 1999 rockwood pop up about a month ago and I am in the process of renovating it now. It doesn't have the galley. Somebody has removed it in the past and I'm alright with that. We had a pop up years ago and never cooked inside. We did use the sink occasionally, but I'm fine with the way we tent camp. I removed the refrigerator and am making that space into extra cabinet space. I opened up the area where the water tank should be and found cut off hoses and no tank. I'm glad we didn't try hooking water to it like we thought about. So, I plan to cut a door in the front of that space and make another cabinet.
    I had to fix the normal roof rot and replaced both sides of the roof and am now working on the inside.
    I have it in my garage and I'm really enjoying working on it.