1994 coleman pioneer chesapeake roof material?

Discussion in 'Roof/Floor Repair & Maintenance' started by Aleeman27, Aug 26, 2015.

1. Aleeman27

Aleeman27 New Member

Hello all. I just purchased a 1994 coleman pioneer chesapeake and there are a few spots on the roof that could use some attention. I've searched and searched these forums and Internet just to find out what material it is but not having any luck. There is a spot that looks like something was dragged against the top and it almost looks like metal underneath but at the same time the roof feels like plastic. I'm sure that's a coating but I wanted to make sure before I do any repairs. I posted a picture of it taken right after I brought it home and spent 6 hrs scrubbing the heck out if haha. Hope someone on here can give me some direction. Can't wait to take her out in 2 weeks! Thanks for the help!
    I can add another close up pic of the spot I am taking about in the morning

Attached Files:

2. ripopuptwins

ripopuptwins It's All Good

This is section I cut out of mine when I put in the vent
    Vinyl coated aluminum,foam core,1/8th luan,[​IMG] and vinyl on the ceiling

3. Aleeman27

Aleeman27 New Member

Here is the spot I mentioned. Recommendatins for fixing would be great!

Attached Files:

4. mdigby

mdigby New Member

It looks like the aluminum has been "cut" in your picture. You will need to seal this so that water can't get into the foam.

There are three possible methods that I would consider. You will need to choose one based on what you want the repair to look like and what tools and skills you have.

The first is probably the easiest. You might use "dicor lap sealant" to "caulk" the cut. This material is available on like or at RV dealers. DO NOT use "regular" caulking that can be purchased at the local hardware store. http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/dicor-self-leveling-lap-sealant-white/32125

The second is to use a piece of "eternabond" roof repair tape. This is also "easy" but the roof must be extremely clean, and if you want to take it off later, it is nearly impossible. YOU MUST be sure all of the edges of the tape are bonded to the roof if you choose this strategy.

The third method is to fill the cut with bondo or another "epoxy resin" type body filler and then primer and paint the repair. This is probably the most difficult, but will also be the least visible after the roof is repaired. Painting is the key, becasue some body fillers are not "waterproof" and the pores will allow water through.

5. Aleeman27

Aleeman27 New Member

Thanks for the tips. Where would be the best place to get eternabond tape? It's kept in covered storage when not in use for the time being but I don't want to out adventuring and end up with some thing major. I plan on fixing as soon as I get my hands on something to do it with. Not worried about the look in just want to not have to worry about it. I've also heard that if using the lap sealant that it may require additional applications in the future if that's true or not I'm not sure. I do not have any experience with it. Eternabond sounds like the way to go for me since it's a rather flat and clean opening. Just have to find the stuff first lol

6. mdigby

mdigby New Member

EBay should have it. If you are nearby a camping world or an rv dealer they should also stock it.

Amazon might have it online.

Good luck