1994 Coleman Roof Won't Stay Raised

Discussion in 'Lift Systems' started by arhuranna, Jun 21, 2015.

1. arhuranna

arhuranna New Member

Hello,
    I have a 1994 Coleman Fleetwood Pioneer Avalon that when I raise the roof it wont stay raised. Does this model have a clutch system? Anyplace to still order parts for it? I haven't crawled under it to check things out yet. What's the best way to get it up off the ground enough to work on it? Thanks for the help.

Mitch

2. mdigby

mdigby New Member

I have a 92 Coleman arcadia pioneer. On our camper there is an external "hook" which catches on the end of the whiffletree down near the location where the crank attaches, to keep the roof "OPEN".

On the info that I could find for 1994 Coleman pioneers, it appears that your camper should have a spring loaded Pawl, that should be catching on the a gear, as you raise the roof.

See pg 3 of this pdf

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/37743407/COLEMAN%20PARTS%20BOOK/1994/1994%20coleman%20pioneer%20series.pdf

The mechanism for this process will be behind the front plastic panel on your camper. There may be screws or pop rivets holding it in place.

As far as ordering parts... it depends. Some new parts are still available. You probably need to search online by part number. Canvas replacements is a business that may have parts or suggestions about where they can be found. Used parts are also sometimes available on eBay, or another pup member may have a "parts" camper that can help you.

I would try to look at the parts book, to see how it goes together. It might just need a cleaning and lubrication to get it working again.

Good luck

3. arhuranna

arhuranna New Member

Thanks for the info. My lift mechanism is located on the rear of the camper and looks like I will have to take the whole rear panel off just to get to the pawl. Looks like the rear panel is riveted on. I was hoping for an easier location. Thanks again!

4. swordfish

swordfish Well-Known Member

5. smit1088

smit1088 Well-Known Member

Watch the video Swordfish linked to. That should help. :)