1995 Coleman Cedar: Roof Crank Question

Discussion in 'First Time & New Camper Owners' started by 1995ColemanCedar, Jun 4, 2018.

1. 1995ColemanCedar

1995ColemanCedar New Member

Hey all,

My family and I just bought our first tent trailer and we took it out for the first time yesterday. We only had time to go for one night which means a lot of setting up and tearing down just for 24 hours in the woods with a couple of kids who absolutely refused to sleep or get along or even just stop crying for a second, but such is life when you're camping with 2 kids under the age of 4 ;)

We love the camper so far. It's exactly what we wanted- lightweight, easy to tow and store, and much more comfortable than tent camping which we've done with both of the girls for years.

MY QUESTION- Today when I was cranking the roof down I noticed that I was turning the handle but the roof wasn't lowering, and it would happen intermittently. When I looked closer at the mechanism I could see that the part between the handle and the actual gears would sometimes turn with the handle but not move the gears.

Imagine that the gear that rotates the chain the raise to lower the cables and the handle that you insert and turn have a metal tube between them (I don't know the names for any of these parts). If you turn the handle it will turn the tube which will turn the gear. But in my case sometimes when I would turn the handle the tube would turn and the gear would not. But then I would turn it clockwise a few times to get the tube to butt back up against the gear and then turn clockwise and the roof would lower a little but then the tube would back off the gear a little bit and stop turning it.

I know that's confusing and I'm trying to explain this the best that I can. I hope someone out there knows what I'm trying to say.

Either way, I'm looking forward to what my trailer, as well as this forum, has in store for me and my girls in the future.

2. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

3. smit1088

smit1088 Well-Known Member

jnc likes this.
  4. 1995ColemanCedar

Oh wow, that’s really unexpected. So replacing those parts is the only way to fix this? There’s nothing I could do to repair it with the existing parts?

I knew when I bought this that there would be some upkeep but I didn’t expect to be spending $200-300 within a week of buying it

Thanks for the help!

5. smit1088

It really matters what is the actual problem. If it is just the extension tube and not the driveshaft, then you could possibly get away with just trimming off some of the tube. But that is an advanced repair.

First thing you should do is grease your wiffle tree and inspect the lift. You may be able to have a working system by just cleaning it all up. Make sure you read the roof won't lower to understand what the system does. A 1995 was the very start of this system.

1995ColemanCedar likes this.
  6. jnc

I know it sucks to spend that kind of cash but look at it like at least those parts lasted 23 years and the odds of you ever having to replace them again are in your favor. Who knows maybe cleaning and Oiling the whole lift system will let you get away with it as is for this summer.

7. jnc

@smit1088 " then you could possibly get away with just trimming off some of the tube."
    Now you got me wanting more info on this Trick! I was gifted a 2000 Niagara from NH-popper with the same issue. I have the old Tube from when I replaced the one on my Mesa to Sacrifice.

8. smit1088

I haven't tested this myself yet. Long ago there was a post describing this method and it seems sound. Since it is only the first few threads on the extension tube that get stripped and there are deeper threads in there still, you just have to cut off a small amount of the extension tube. This will in turn reveal the good thread to be used again. You will have to probably add some spacers inside of the tube and make sure to cut it off straight but it should work just fine. This assumes that the driveshaft threads are still good also.

9. jnc

I will have to remove the Tube and get a better look at the Drive when the rain lets up.

10. 1995ColemanCedar

I wonder if my problem is a little different. If there’s a bit holding the extension tube in place, I think that may be loose.

When I crank the handle all the way to the right it butts up against the washer. When I turn the handle to the left it backs off the washer and then starts lowering the top.

It’s like the extension tube needs to be tightened. Can I do that by taking the pin out of the end and sticking a long socket in there or is there another way to do that?

Any idea if this is even possible, or am i just being too optimistic?

Attached Files:

11. fourhallatts

fourhallatts Well-Known Member

Your problem sounds similar to what my dh had to repair on ours (we have a cedar as well). He had to tighten it all up (I will ask him to write it down for me and I will send you a pm).

12. 1995ColemanCedar

Thank you so much! Even if it doesn’t work, it wouldn’t hurt to try.

13. jnc

That why you need a new extension tub the threads are stripped and the treads on the Drive Hub may also be worn out. This same issue is how I found the PopupPortal and Have read many posts on the subject. I believe that @smit1088 was the guy that built these things at the Factory.

smit1088 likes this.
  14. smit1088

[:D]

Seriously, 1995ColemanCedar, Have you read this?
    http://www.campersolutions.com/home/help-my-roof-won-t-lower

15. 1995ColemanCedar

His first thing to check sounds exactly like what I was thinking. It seems like there’s a loose nut in the extension tube, which he says is possible. I’ll check that out. Thanks!

16. jnc

17. 1995ColemanCedar

Attached Files:

18. jnc

I found it much easier to take the whole crank assembly off and work on a bench in a vice.

19. smit1088

It looks like someone has exchanged your extension tube already. I would try and hit the pin from the side inside the bumper. The pins come out really easy. They are long so you can just use a hammer to get it started and then a punch to push it all the way through. I think I use a 3/16" punch for my pin.

20. 1995ColemanCedar

I tried a hammer but I couldn’t really get to it so I used some pliers to squeeze the pin partway out and now it’s close to coming loose but I just can’t get a good angle on it to smack it with a hammer and nail