1995 Jayco Jay Series flooring

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by Kduds, Apr 23, 2020.

1. Kduds

Kduds New Member

Hi all! I am brand new to pop up camping, although I have been an avid camper for as long as I can remember. So, my husband and I followed what we thought was a good lead on a nice used camper last spring. Bought from a friend who somewhat reconditioned the camper so it's got some nice amenities (new fridge, cute dining table, brand new interior A/C unit, new wiring, new lighting, and new textiles which I don't love but I'll get to that later, and new appearing flooring). We used it one time and quickly discovered she was going to need a lot more love and we were going to need to remove a bunch of "bandaids over bullet holes" to get to the root of some pretty significant problems. I had to replace the camper cables (if you need any advice on how to rework an L&W lift system, I am your girl, I rebuilt ours from basically scratch thanks to popupparts.com and our local hardware store). We're waiting on the world to reopen to get our new canvas which we ordered right before COVID-19. And so I got into the camper the other day (it's just starting to get warm where I live, so I've got the itch to start some projects) to repaint the cabinets which were done with crappy paint that's chipping. Anyway. While I was in there I noticed a smell. So I went a little crazy and started to peel up some of the flooring to find more flooring underneath that. And below that was some fairly moldy subfloor. So out came the cabinets and the rest of the flooring. The subfloor is not soft, it's not rotted, and some Concrobium killed and sealed that pretty quickly and quite well. No more smell. But. Now I have to replace the flooring. I found some that I like quite a bit, but I should have prefaced all of this by saying I'm a super cheap-wad and hate spending money. I can buy enough to cover the entire floor from wall to wall with a click together LVP, but my square footage is such that I need to buy a whole extra carton for just like 5 more square feet. If you're still with me, I appreciate you hanging in there to get to my point :). With everything stripped down to the subfloor and all of the cabinets out - do I need to do wall to wall flooring, or can I get away with just doing the areas that are visible and not doing flooring underneath my benches/cabinets/fridge/air conditioner? Keeping in mind that I would likely do a lip/strip of the flooring around areas where the benches and cabinets touch the subfloor just to give them a little extra reinforcement, and also so I don't have to do quarter round or other trim to cover the expansion gap around the fixtures. Or. Do I suck it up and spend the stupid $40 on another carton of flooring to cover everything? Thanks for all of your thoughts!!

2. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Welcome.png
    If you are just doing squares I would do it the easy way.

3. jeeper88

jeeper88 Let's go Camping and Jeepin

What Raycfe said.. Welcome to the portal from sunny fla

4. Kduds

Kduds New Member

Can you clarify what you mean? Which is the easy way? I'm going to buy wood-look LVP planks.

5. Kduds

Kduds New Member

Also, is there any harm in not having a floor covering under the cabinets/benches?

6. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

If you don't have to do a lot of cutting of the planks you could just do the main area. Plan you layout well.
    Planks may be thicker than square tiles so if the planks went under the cabinets, the cabinets would be taller and may cause a problem.
    When the camper is built they lay the wood floor panels and then cover the whole thing with a single sheet of floor covering, keeps it neat and protected. If you don't mind the inside of the cabinets with the old covering leave it. I cut up carpet pieces to put inside the cabinets to make them look nicer.

7. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

I would do.what you have to do. No problem with not running it under everything as long as its even. Just remember that vinal flooring needs to expand and contract. And its not supost to run under anything. Otherwise it can buckle. Before i did anything i would try to see what was causing the moisture problem. Where os the ac? Dosen't sound like its on the roof?

8. Kduds

Kduds New Member

There are a ton of spots that we’re looking at that caused the leakage, I think the previous owners filled a bunch of spots but never checked for moisture, also, there’s a weird 2x6 bolted to the outside of the roof and the roof has a ton of rot on that side, so I’ll be tearing that apart next. The good news is it’s stored year round in our garage so it’s not as big of an immediate issue - probably for next week and I’ll tons of questions about the roof, then.

Sjm9911 likes this.