1996 Rockwood Roof/Sideboard Repair

HappyCamperTX

Camping in and around Central Texas!
Jun 30, 2010
I do realize there is a great chance that there is likely more to be done to my PUP. Right now though I am just trying to get it ready to go camping. Over the coming months of use I will be developing my lists for my winter projects :)

Most of ya'll are probably out enjoying the 4th weekend, but I hope me and my family will be out there to join you soon!

tntrucknut

May 16, 2010
Trust me, I understand. Wishing I was out camping right now instead of my roof laying on my front porch and working on it in 95 degree weather! Good luck!

HappyCamperTX

Jun 30, 2010
Okay all...tomorrow there will be pictures. I got into a rhythm and really wanted to get this done by tomorrow. The new side is installed, the canvas rehung and the trim is 90% complete. It has come together well and I am pleased!

HappyCamperTX

Jun 30, 2010
SNAG!!!

I am almost done and was putting the final touches on it when I noticed the roof wasn't sitting square on the box. I didn't notice it before for some reason, but apparently when the original bind took place, the very top of the drivers front lift post bent. Its the thin metal strip at the very top where the roof bolts to the arm.

I've tried straightening it several times but as soon as I put the weight of the roof back on it, it bends again. Its causing the roof to stick out on that side by about 3/4 of an inch whereas the other corners only stand 1/4 of an inch from the support.

I'm to the point now that I'm afraid if I bend it much more it is just gonna snap from metal fatigue. I was so happy to accomplish this feat, but its looking now like I haven't won at all.

MikeInLa

Don't forget the A/C cover!
Jul 28, 2008
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Hmmm, that isn't good. Maybe find a large washer to put behind it to keep it from bending anymore. Large enough that it covers the inside of the rod end as much as possible without overlaping the square tube itself. Your local hardware store might have something you can use to do this. Take some pictures of it on your phone to show them, and bring the bolt iself as well. The weight there is "straight down" weight (and about 1/4 of the total roof weight). That tip shouldn't bend unless it was not fully straight to begin with. I had this issue with mine when one corner had busted loose (through the sideboard... prompting my rebuild). I remember that tip was a beast to straighten!! I used a big 10 lb maul as a backing, and a regular hammer to straighten mine. If that tip is not straight, it will keep bending. Thats a fairly strong metal (at least on mine, which can't be much different from yours). Although, If you're afraid it might break, I hate to tell you to go beating on it again. How many times have you bent it? And are you sure it was straight the last time?

HappyCamperTX

Jun 30, 2010
Victory!!!!!!!!!!

Once again my "never throw hardware away" mentality paid off! I found some very sturdy metal the exact width of the post. It was in an L-shape but I put an extra bend in it and attached the bottom end to the pole. Then I drilled a small hole through the lift post slightly below the mounting hole and screwed the two pieces together. THis extra reinforcement pulled the post end straight up and its now even all the way around!!!

I gave everything a fresh coat of paint and you can't even tell its a rebuild (unless you are familiar with these campers. Pictures will be forthcoming, but I am pooped.

HappyCamperTX

Jun 30, 2010
Here are a few pictures of the finished product. I took a number of pictures of the WIP but they are not on the card anymore. I am guessing someone got ahold of the camera and got it ready for the campout without realizing I had pictures on there.

006.jpg

007.jpg

008.jpg

claw2322

Aug 10, 2010
Good evening I am new to the post and searching the internet i came across this site, I recently purchased a 1996 Rockwood 1940 Freedom Edition, the roof is in need of repair.

ErikRuud

Aug 10, 2009
claw2322 said:
I found your pictures very helpful in what I might have to look for and fix.

I have a bunch more pictures here as well: http://www.popupportal.com/index.php?topic=35050.0

ErikRuud

Aug 10, 2009
MikeInLa said:
The skin on yours is aluminum? Interesting... Most of the Rockwoods I've seen didn't have the aluminum skin.
I don't remember if there were staples in mine. In fact, it seems like the only staples I had were the ones holding the inside track (that holds the canvas at the top). When I took all the screws out of that trim piece, my old sideboard was ready to come off.

I don't know what you plan to use for skin. If it really had aluminum skin (not plastic/fiberglass), then maybe you'll want to find something similar. I can tell you that the FRP I used (as I suggested above) came out perfect for me and has held up well for 2 years now.

The skin on my 1991 Rockwood was aluminum as well and there were lots of staples along the bottom edges of the aluminum.

claw2322

Aug 10, 2010
To ErikRuud thanks for the additional pictures, I have noticed that the roof behind the the air vent is sagging and there are some additional spots in the roof that are soft. Any further help would be great. I plan on just rebuilding the whole roof but im not sure what size of boards to use as the truss pieces and then what to use as the interior ceiling so any further help on this would be appreciated as well.

ErikRuud

Aug 10, 2009
I did not have to rebuild my entire roof, my side boards rotted from the bottom up and there is no sign that water ever got into the foam.

I can tell you that the wood in horizontal portions of the roof is 3/4" thick and 1-1/4" wide. When the light hits it at a low angle, I can see the outline of the framing.