1997 Camplite

Discussion in 'Camper Pre-Purchase Questions' started by SybleEllen, Mar 10, 2019.

1. SybleEllen

SybleEllen New Member

Good Morning Everyone.

I currently have my eye on a 1997 Camplite pop up.

Is anyone familiar with this make and year?
    Also, what are the pros and cons of purchasing a pop up that is 22 years old?

I am a little skiddish on purchasing due to its age. I don’t want it to start falling apart. However, in the sellers description he did state that the suspension was replaced last year.

Any advice would help!

2. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

I rented/borrowed a 2000 Camplite for four years before I bought my Flagstaff. Camplite is an orphaned company and is an average, run of the mill pup. When I used it, like any older pup, it was in constant need of maintenance. The owner wanted to sell it to me but I wan't overly impressed with how he maintained it (old tires, some wood rot on the roof sides, wiring issues). It was fine to rent, but it was far from desirable to own.

If you haven't already, take a look at THIS thread so that you know what to look for.

3. SybleEllen

SybleEllen New Member

Thank you BikeNFish!
    Your advice was very helpful. I have not come across the Campsite brand before so I was curious wether or not it was a good Make. This will be my first camper for my family to take trips in so I want to be sure what I purchase is going to be good.

BikeNFish likes this.
  4. momofEAP

momofEAP Member

I wouldn't let the age scare you away. We bought a 1994 Coleman in 2017. It wasn't in perfect condition but it has served us well.

neighbormike likes this.
  5. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

This is true. Until my coworker (@J Starsky) purchased a TT last year, he was using, as he says, "the finest 1984 Starcraft" popup for years and loved it. In fact, he still has it as he doesn't want to let it go.

J Starsky, momofEAP and neighbormike like this.
  6. J Starsky

J Starsky Well-Known Member

The wife had decreed "The finest in the land" shall stay in my holding for all time. She loves it too much. It's far too nice to let it leave. It does have its quirks, but wouldn't have it another way!

Attached Files:

momofEAP and BikeNFish like this.