1997 Dutchman - Goshen Lift System Winch

Discussion in 'Lift Systems' started by bhahn1800, Mar 21, 2020.

1. bhahn1800

bhahn1800 New Member

So I have a 1997 Dutchman popup that uses the spring Goshen lift system. The cable snapped on us while camping last year and I made an attempt at replacing it. It seemed to be working on the next camp trip but when we were bringing the pop-up down to go home, the front would not go down all the way.

I suspect that I didn't do something right when putting in the new cable with the same springs. The one thing I did notice was that the winch (seen in the video) would not rotate when bringing down. We pretty much had to push the top down as far as we could but the front still would not go down all the way.

I'm not 100% sure here if it is the winch itself, but I did find it unusual that the cable wouldn't move when moving the crank around to typically bring the top of the pop-up downward.

Any thoughts on how this winch is supposed to work or should I just look to purchase a new one? Looks to be about $115 online.

I did post a video of what I'm talking about out on Reddit as well - https://old.reddit.com/r/popups/comments/fmq4xz/goshen_popup_winch_slipsdoes_not_reverse_crank/

2. bobinfleet

bobinfleet Active Member

I have no knowledge of this system but I would have thought that friction plate should be snug against the ratchet?

3. bhahn1800

bhahn1800 New Member

yeah, I'm at a loss as I don't know the system either. Here's a quick video on how to replace the drive shaft - - in case you want to learn more on how it mechanically works.

4. bondo54

bondo54 Well-Known Member

5. bobinfleet

bobinfleet Active Member

I can't see from your video but is the pressure washer in place? also is there a spring under the nut holding the handle on?