1997 Viking Legend 2460 - advice needed!

Discussion in 'Camper Pre-Purchase Questions' started by tuna_mackeral, Aug 3, 2015.

1. tuna_mackeral

tuna_mackeral New Member

Hi all!

Brand new to this forum, and looking for guidance on purchasing our first pop up...

Found a 1997 Viking Legend 2460 on Craigslist for $2500. Looks to be in very good condition from the pics, and luckily we live close enough to the buyer to check it out.

My main question is about age - obviously older models will have more wear & tear, but does age really matter if it's been well-kept? From what I've read so far, soft spots in the floor, canvas shape, and axels are the three biggies to look out for.
    Also, what general questions should we ask the seller?

Any advice for a first time buyer would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
    Tuna

2. novagirl

novagirl retired camper

Look for signs of bubbling on the roof sideboards and the ceiling. Sure sign of water intrusion. Open the cabinets and look for water damage. Look under the mattresses at the bed platforms. Make sure the lift system raises and lowers smoothly. Lots to remember. Good luck!

Sent from my KFTHWI using Tapatalk HD

3. Dubbya

Dubbya Wherever you go, there you are...

Ask how old the tires are, ask when the last time the bearings were repacked, when was the last time the brakes were serviced (if so equipped), ask what size the battery is and how old it is, Ask if the water heater has a hot water bypass valve, ask the seller to light the hot water tank, run the furnace and fridge. Ask if the front fridge operates in 12 V, 110 V, and LPG gas modes.

Make sure that the seller raises and lowers the roof and that everything operates smoothly in the lift system. Ask if they've had any problems with it and ask who's done the repairs.

Ask the seller where they store the pop in the off season. If the pop has air-conditioning, ask the seller to run it and ask if it has any problems.

Be sure to look underneath the pup. Pay particular attention close to the door, wheel wells, inside and under the fridge compartment, fresh water tank compartment and the front and rear walls for signs of excessive water damage and wood rot.

Where the front and rear skins wrap underneath the edge of the floor, make sure that the staples are holding securely and that the edges of the wood floor are not rotted out. If the staples are loose and the skins are loose, chances are you're looking at a problem floor.

Also open the storage compartment lid and hatches and visually inspect the underside of the storage compartment roof and the insides of the side hatches to make sure there's no wood rot in there.

Make a tight fist, stick out your thumb, and around the pup while pushing on the sideboards, front and end board skins to see if they're soft and the skins are de-laminating. Pay particular attention near the plastic corner caps. Do the same thing on the roof along the roof edge trim and as far into the roof as you can easily reach.

Pay close attention to the ceiling inside looking for staining bubbling and wood rot. As best you can, run your hands or push back the tenting and look at the backsides of the front and inside boards for signs of wood rot.

Under no circumstances assume it would rot is an cheap and easy fix, it's not. If you have any doubts or suspect you're looking at a major project, take it from someone who's been there, it's easier to walk away now than to find out the hard way that you've made a terrible mistake that's going to cost you a lot of money time and effort to fix.

Those are great pups, that's a good price and I hope everything checks out!

Happy hunting!

4. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

The age is not the problem. You need to find out how much money you need to spend to get it road worthy and fit to sleep in.
    If the tires are more than 5 years old you will need new ones regardless of the looks of the tred.
    Make sure all electrical items work (AC and DC) and trailer lights.
    For me if there were signs of water damage I would pass on it.
    I think $ 2500 is on the high side if work needs to be done.

5. StPeteClipper

StPeteClipper Member

"Ask how old the tires are".....then check the DOT date stamp. Format should be for example DOT XXXX 5009.

The 50 is the 50th week of the year, and the 09 is 2009.

If they tell you the tires were just bought new last summer and they are in reality 10 years old they are probably not being truthful about other things. I found this out the hard way.

Also peel back the curtains and check for where the lift systems mount to the 4 corners of the sideboards. On these models they are right behind an upper reflector which was prone to leaking on some.

In my opinion age doesn't matter, it's how well it has been maintained.