1998 Coleman Bayside - Stupid Front Storage design

Discussion in 'Camper Restoration Projects' started by quotester, Apr 28, 2020.

1. quotester

quotester New Member

ok, picked up this TT I think in 2010 or 2011, all I remember is that my daughter had not learned to walk and that her 1st fall with me was off the couch onto a nice soft carpet when I had turned to talked with one of the kids, unlike my then wife's 1st experience in this thing, babies make a loud sound when the fall from one of the king pullout's, lol. My daughter was ok, just a bit surprised. I got a real dirty look when I couple not stop laughing.

Anyways, when we bought this TT, the 2nd owner of this TT told me of 2 things that were wrong with the TT, a crack in the storage hatch lid and it could be tricky starting the water heater (still takes me 5 minutes to get the flame to stay on).

I over the years, I had done standard maintenance on it and had it in the shop 3 times for stupid things and we will leave it at that.

Fast forward to now, 2 years as a single dad (I got the TT), and needing a distraction, I decided to look at replacing the front storage unit with a truck tool box as it became apparent that I had some water damage on the driver's side.

Add to my list of ideas, replace the flooring, strengthen the passenger side wall, paint the countertops and cabinets (my 10 year old daughter picked out the colors), put new roof seal on the roof, maybe try to fix the crack on the rear ABS panel for the 3 time and lastly the cracks that now appeared in the lower parts of the roof this spring more then likely due to the rubber seal had come off.

So last weekend my friend's bf and I started to take off the front storage unit, or should I say, got ticked off and ripped parts of it and had to drill or cut screw out due to the rust all the while drinking non-alcohol beer. Well there was water damage, not to mention mold in the storage unit.

I will post pictures of what it was like before we started and where I am at right now with this project. My time-line for closing up the big hole in the front of the TT is the last Thursday in May due to a possible fishing derby in BC and I had said to my friend and her bf that they can use the TT that weekend. I will do the rest of the project over the summer. Which I told another friend whom I sent pictures to this weekend, and he replied that is a big list to be trying..

kmbarreiros and Sjm9911 like this.
  2. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Welcome, and yea the front storage boxs are know to leak. Sounds like you got it covered.

quotester likes this.
  3. quotester

quotester New Member

IMG_20140913_092604.jpg IMG_20140913_092624.jpg IMG_20200425_142554.jpg IMG_20200425_142604.jpg IMG_20200425_142609.jpg IMG_20200425_152608.jpg IMG_20200425_154631.jpg IMG_20140913_085635.jpg On Saturday night I sent pictures of what we had done, to my daughter whom is with her mother this week and I also posted it on my Facebook account. The replies I got were, 'My home' from my stepson living in Edmonton and 'What happen' from my daughter's mother. Really I am doing this for my daughter whom told me she does not want to lose another memory of her childhood right now, so instead of selling it and I figure I will be holding onto it for another 7 or 8 years.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2020
    Keating, kmbarreiros and Sjm9911 like this.
  4. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Welcome.png

quotester likes this.
  5. quotester

quotester New Member

The plan is for the front is, to wall it off and have a diamond plate look, similar to kmbarreiros (https://www.popupportal.com/threads/2001-coleman-bayside-elite.115140/#post-1162831) and at a later date have one or two truck tool boxes on the front. But I am going to have to remove about 4 inches of flooring at the front due to that water damage. I would also like to see about laying down a vinyl or linoleum sheet for the flooring, but honesty the idea using interlocking foam tiles (Canadian tire has black ones for $10 right now) would be cool, but the concern is my slide-out.

6. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah Gold Supporting Member

Welcome from northern Virginia. Your a good dad trying to keep some normalcy for your daughter. I know it’s a big project working on the front storage trunk, but it can be well worth it once you get it finished. You and your daughter have a lot of good memories with it.

I have the sister unit to your Bayside. Thankfully my 04 model has a molded plastic trunk completely separate from the actual camper. So somewhere down the line they learned from their mistakes. Good luck with your project and I hope you have many more years with it.

quotester likes this.
  7. fourhallatts

fourhallatts Well-Known Member

Good luck with your repair and welcome to the portal from Central NY.

quotester likes this.
  8. br1anw

br1anw New Member

hi. I did that with a Cheyenne also based on kmbarreiros. I replaced the front and the box deck with PT plywood and covered it with screwed on vinyl panels. Still want to put on diamond plate.
    Here is my short post. Feel free to contact me with questions. It wasnt really that hard. just took a lot of measuring before cutting :)
    https://www.popupportal.com/threads/another-cheyenne-front-rebuild.121423/

quotester likes this.
  9. kmbarreiros

kmbarreiros Active Member

Wow you guys and your super fast timeline...I spent a few hours working on mine today and all I have to show for it is one wall and my father in law realizing we may have to make a bunch of changes to the bottom dinette cabinet that we just finished installing.
    Please post plenty of pictures.
    I can not wait for mine to be done/usable. Tomorrow should be a nice day so hoping to get the fridge and cabinets around it installed.

Orchid and Sjm9911 like this.
  10. WVhillbilly

WVhillbilly Well-Known Member

Only fail I see in all of this is the NA beer.
    Carry on.

Kyle R Thorson likes this.
  11. kmbarreiros

NA beer?

12. WVhillbilly

No alcohol

13. kmbarreiros

Ahh yes...well I am not much of a beer drinker but there is always a Mt. Dew near by for me.

14. quotester

quotester New Member

ok, have not had a change to do much work, but this weekend I did put some time in. Thursday I was sanding off the rust, Friday night I painted part of the front frame where I will be placing the storage platform sheet on and Saturday I had plans to work with my friends, but sadly due to one of my friend's mom falling at her place on the front steps, they rightfully backed out to tear down those front steps and build a new one for her. I was on my own these last 2 days. Maybe tomorrow they will help

This week picked up, 3/4 & 1/4 sheets of marine plywood at Windsor Plywood. $150 and $115. I was going to use the 3/4 for the flooring and the 1/4 for the front fire wall. lol, the 1/4 was a brain fart, should have gotten another 3/4 sheet, but I realised it after the store had closed. I also picked up 3 - 2x10 treated 2x4s that I was going to build a frame out from the fire wall and put 1/16 diamond plate (4x8 $140) around that frame. Not bend, sadly, I can not afford that. I am going to cut and put metal trim to seal it. I am still thinking of using the 1/4 for the front of 2x4 frame to reinforce the front that will only have the 1/16 plate attached to it..

So, Saturday.. not as productive as I would have liked. Started the measuring for the the 3/4 sheet I was going to make for the floor where the storage box use to be. Ran into a problem.. the problem is that the left side length from the rear beam (red line) to the end of the front was 4 mm longer then the right side. It threw me into a loop trying to come up with a idea of how I was going to handle this. Was I going to try to adjust the piece of inside flooring I had planned to take out to even it out? Was I going to cut a shorter length and place sealant into where there would be a gap? Was I going to cut a shorter length and put in a U channel bar with wings to kind of hid the gap? It actually cost me 4 hours of time, trying to think this thing out. I guess my ADHD drugs were not working on Saturday. I finally got to the point where I decided I needed to stop thinking about it for a while and start to pull the lino/vinyl flooring to take my mind off of it. Which I did for the rest of the day. I wanted to keep the lino as much as one piece as much as possible. So I got to the mid slide out point by the time I called it quits for the day. I decided when I got home to check out this site again for another that would jar me back into a productive mode with that stupid old storage box floor. by the way, if you were wondering why I did not go back to the old floor and measure, it was due to it was a moldy wet broken mess. So looking again, I came across jman's posting again. He had shown his measurements for his storage floor cutout, but in metric and I grew up using imperial and kind of glazed over the 1st time I saw it a couple of weeks ago. So I decided what the hell, lets go down the metric measurement trail instead of the imperial and see how jman's measurements would work (aka board 12) on Sunday. board 12.PNG

IMG_20200503_172548.jpg IMG_20200510_172437.jpg front storage .jpg

WVhillbilly likes this.
  15. quotester

quotester New Member

Sunday aka today, got up and tried to get my daughter to join me working on the trailer. Yesterday, my friend's daughter and her hung out while I worked on the trailer. But today, no friend, and my daughter was not interested. So we comprised, her and I went back to my friend's place where the trailer was to pick up my work phone I had forgotten and I came back home and dropped her off with a phone while I went to work on the trailer. I had to make a detour to home deport to get a measuring tape with metric on it, and that killed a hour of my time. So got back to the trailer and started to measure again, but using metric numbers. Stupid thought actually worked and stopped me from 2nd guessing myself. I measured 221.6 x 67 cms for the storage floor board as I knew I wanted the floor to over hang a bit more then both length (.8 each side) and width (I can not remember) in case in the future I decided to put some flashing/trim around the storage floor board. Due the imbalance of left and right measurements, I decided to trim down the 67 down to 66.5. I cut the sheet and also one of the 2x4 to a length of 220 to see if that would be the length of the fire wall sheet I would have to cut. Both pieces worked. Now I am going to paint the front floor board (we will call it the exterior floor from now on) with blue marine paint that my daughter picked out. Figured the board is more exposed to the elements then the interior floor boards, so I can get away with painting it. Now I just received pictured of my friends (gf and bf) whom went to help out the gf's mother.. they got done real early and instead of coming helping me, they went fishing, lol. The SOBs :). But they got to try out a new trolling motor. So tomorrow it is likely cutting the 2x4 frame if Windsor is not open to pick up another 3/4 board, and maybe laying the new floor. I picked up a remnant vinyl 12x12 roll.

Seems there is no word on whether the fishing derby next week is going to happen or not. So I am taking that as a 'No' as the government has not even open up the campground where it takes place for nighttime camping. So I gained another week to complete what I had set out to do this reno round. New front, new floor and hopefully paint cabinets.

I forgot, the 1st thing I am going to do tomorrow is cut out 5 inches wide and 220 cms in length of interior board and replace it. As you may or may not see if the pictures, the right side around the electrical cabinet is a bit beat up with water damage near front and the right front wing has broken off too. The plan is to cut the section out, and put in the new section and glue it to the old section with
    LePage PL Premium 295 mL Waterproof Interior/Exterior Construction Adhesive and screw it down with self-drilling screws. I cut most of the new piece today before calling it quits.
    IMG_20200517_193108.jpg IMG_20200517_193327.jpg IMG_20200517_193330.jpg IMG_20200517_193333.jpg IMG_20200517_193336.jpg IMG_20200517_193339.jpg IMG_20200517_193417.jpg IMG_20200517_194449.jpg IMG_20200517_195724.jpg

kmbarreiros and Sjm9911 like this.
  16. quotester

quotester New Member

Well did some more work yesterday, this time i had my 2 friends helping. We were looking at replacing the water damaged front section. There was two trains of though, hers and ours. Ours was to replace the whole front length 5 inches back. Hers was to 1st just put a sealer over the section on the right hand side and not remove any wood and her 2nd opinion was if we wanted to remove any wood, stick the small section on the right and not try to the whole length as the left side was ok. Respected everyone's opinion, but the OCD part of me, saw the far left tab was starting to expand, so since it was my trailer, I decided to go with my original plan of cutting 5 inches back along the whole front length. lol, my idea was not the greatest :). Due to having to try to manoeuvring the jig saw and saw reciprocating we did a bad job of a clean line cut on the interior floor. Opps.. lets just say we have gaps that are going to require a bit more
    LePage PL Premium. We have random gaps for 1mm to 3 mm. The all around plan also was to place a board or t-bar underneath along the seam of the old floor and the new. IMG_20200518_152941_MP.jpg IMG_20200518_152954_MP.jpg IMG_20200518_193843.jpg IMG_20200518_193850.jpg IMG_20200518_193859.jpg

kmbarreiros likes this.
  17. ezakoske

ezakoske Active Member Gold Supporting Member

Quite a project....
    Thanks for documenting it for those of us that still need to do something with our storage boxes at some point!

Erik

18. WVhillbilly

If it looks the least bit rotted, tear it out and replace it.
    Or you'll just be doing it next year.

19. kmbarreiros

Wow yours has just about the same amount of damage as mine had.
    I ended up replacing about 15 inches into the cabin on the front and about 13" in from the back.
    I also replaced a good portion under the fridge. And this is not mention the front box floor was completely replaced.

20. LarryGoesCamping

LarryGoesCamping Member

This is great keep up the good work and Intel on your progress! Thanks!