1998 Coleman Casa Grande ABS Roof Reinforcement project

Discussion in 'Camper Restoration Projects' started by Bsoder52, Mar 10, 2020.

1. Bsoder52

Bsoder52 Member

I'm calling this one a reinforcement project because my "new to me" pop up has a little exterior roof sag, but no interior sag that i noticed. The plan is to patch the cracks in the exterior with an ABS/MEK solution, sand and coat with a Truck bedliner. Question though.. I ran across this WeldOn 771 ABS Cement product while searching online. Looks to me like a good substitute for making my own MEK/ABS mixture and it's low fumes. Has anyone had experience with this stuff?

https://www.amazon.com/Weldon-10233...words=abs+pellets+white&qid=1583895876&sr=8-3

[​IMG]
    https://flic.kr/p/2iC4b2V

2. Bsoder52

Bsoder52 Member

Well I've been acquiring the needed materials to do the roof reinforcement project. So far I've got a new seal from colemanpopupparts.com, that site is pretty sweet! I've got MEK, some fiberglass screens, liquid nails, and afew other things. Need to order some ABS pellets. If anyone knows a good deal on some I'm all ears.

I keep looking at this roof and thinking...man there must be a better way to get it back to its original form. (rather than just reinforce the sag that's in there now). I think I might wait until my I can move it around in my garage after spring cleaning so that I can open it up and really take a good look at the ceiling internally. Make sure there are not soft spots that need to be patched. I have to admit when I bought it I just looked at the ceiling and should have felt it now that I know what I'm dealing with a bit more.

Wondering though if anyone has done a project to get the outer shell back to it's original shape before reinforcing? I know many have ripped off the outer ABS and then worked on restoring just the innershell, but my outershell isn't that bad so I'd like to keep it. Thinking I could drill holes in it and pump some expanding foam or glue in between the outer and inner aba shells to try to get it to pop out a bit. Then could cover the holes with either ABS/MEK slurry or just bondo. Then do the rest.....thoughts??? I don't want to drill a bunch of holes in it if it wont do anything....LOL. Wish I knew what I was doing a bit more!

3. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Ok , thought i posted on this before, but might have been at work and had to run. Most roofs after tours had a reinfocement put on the inside of the camper. You could buy or build one. Yours doesn't have ac and dosent look that bad. You can try to patch it, sometimes.es it works somtimes it doesn't. Mine didn't. The roof shouldn't leak eben if delaminated. Or get soft. There is no wood in it. If i had my pup still i would strip off the abs. But tours looks good, try to seal it. Also know that under the abs may be foam, so liquid nails isnt a gule safe for foam. Use a plastic epoxy. I think some have a fiberglass underneath, but others dont agree. Unless you cut it open no way to tell for sure. To fix sag, you need the inner brace. To seal it do the rest , good luck.

4. Bsoder52

Bsoder52 Member

I appreciate the insight. Ill have to get my garage cleaned out in order to move the camper so I can open it up and get in and look at the roof. (And feel the roof.. Where it is now I can raise the roof and look inside but would need to climb on the beds to feel the interior roof. not going to do that.
    I dont see any sag inside the the camper roof just looking up at it. There are two layers of ABS on the roof. I hope just the top layer is sagging a bit..if that's the case I'd like to try to fix it. Time will tell.

5. Bsoder52

Bsoder52 Member

6. Bsoder52

Bsoder52 Member

Going to pick up some fiberglass cloth or tape for the impending crack repair / grizzly grip installation. Anyone have suggestions on what is the best fiberglass cloth or tape to inlay over the the larger cracks? Also should that be done in the MEK type crack repair, or in the grizzly grip paint? I've read different approaches that sounded like they worked. Thanks!

7. Bsoder52

Bsoder52 Member

All four corners of the PUP box have cracks. Looks like the previous owner taped them over some fiberglass mesh. Thinking I should Drill a hole at the end of each crack, dremel them out and fill with MEK/ABS or Epoxy. Any thoughts are appreciated since I really don't know what I'm doing. LOL

https://flic.kr/p/2iGnx99
    https://flic.kr/p/2iGqiJa

Sjm9911 likes this.
  8. Bsoder52

Bsoder52 Member

tough crowd

9. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Sound like a plan. Easy enough to do. Will ot work, i dont know. But it will be better then what tou have now!

10. tzmartin

tzmartin Well-Known Member

Probably just some thing pushing up the roof like the canvas. I'm not much help on the ABS work you're about to do. There are a lot of posts on ABS redos. That being said. I'd be temped to raise the roof on a warm day and then put some 2x4's along the area you want the ridge. Lower the roof onto the 2x4's and the the weight arch it out. Install your roof reinforcement then. Again--I don't have this roof but have a lot of uninformed opinion.