1998 Coleman Cheyenne - No lights when hooked to TV

Discussion in 'PopUpPortal TV' started by TheLight75, Sep 8, 2019.

1. TheLight75

TheLight75 New Member

Hi Everyone,

My girlfriend bought a 1998 Coleman Cheyenne a couple weeks ago. I’m helping her test everything, I found that when it’s connected to the TV, none of the trailer lights work - no brake, no running lights, no turn signals.

I’ve checked the voltages on the TV 7-wire pins and they all work.

When the PUP is open and connected to 120V, the forward rocker switch does turn on all of the exterior lights (running & brake), so I know they work.

I’m inclined to assume the PUP connector has failed but I’m wondering if there is a switch somewhere that needs to be flipped in order determine whether the lights respond to the TV wiring or the 120V supply??

If it should just work, what I’d like to know is where the other end of the 12V wire bundle from the 7-wire connector comes out so a I can test each individual wire run from the 7-wire plug.

Thank you for any and all help!

2. GreyFox

GreyFox Well-Known Member

What forward rocker switch? [?:~{] The trailer's running lights and brake lights have nothing to do with the trailer's interior 12 vdc system and only work when connected to the tow vehicle. Something is amiss OR you're incorrectly describing the situation.

3. TheLight75

TheLight75 New Member

Just below the forward slide out on the wall to the tongue storage, there is a red illuminated rocker switch which, when the PUP is connected to 120V, turns on the tongue storage light AND turns on all the exterior running lights and the brake lights. Quick Google search shows this is very common on PUPs.

4. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

Don't know what you searched for but I never heard of a switch like that. The brake, tail, turn, and running lights are powered from the TV not the pup battery. Sometimes people have rigged something to do what you have described.

5. WVhillbilly

WVhillbilly Well-Known Member

We have two pop ups at the house right now and neither have a switch like that.
    You're looking at two separate systems here, the 120V lights have nothing to do with the tail/stop/turn lights.
    Check for voltage with a test light on the trailer side of the wiring connector.
    Simply make sure you have a good ground with the light, hook it to the TV, turn the parking lights on and start looking for voltage.
    It sounds like you have a bad plug on the trailer.

6. GreyFox

Sorry but you're mistaken, Google search or not. Any trailer's exterior running lights and brake lights are powered by the tow vehicle and have nothing to do whatsoever with the trailer's interior 12 vdc system which is powered by the battery or converter when the trailer is plugged into 120 vac shore power.

7. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Coleman’s with a front storage compartment have a rocket switch that will turn on the exterior marker lights if the lid is open. It is to help you set up in the dark. Powered by the camper. As for your lights from the tow vehicle. First thing to do is with a set of battery jumper cables connect one end to a good clean metal ground connection on the tow vehicle. Now connect the other end of the same cable to a good metal ground connection on the camper frame. This will rule out a bad ground connection between the camper and the tow vehicle.
    Just to add be sure you have the 7 pin correctly inserted into the tow vehicle. There is a guide slot that has to line up
    After that check the connections/wires at the back of the camper plug.

8. GreyFox

Sorry but that's not correct. Anytime the trailer is plugged into the TV and the TV's running lights are turned on then the trailer's running lights will also be on regardless of whether that front storage trunk rocker switch is on or off. That trunk mounted rocker switch only feeds the trunk interior light when the trailer is plugged into the TV, when it's not then power is supplied by the trailer battery or converter if plugged into shore power. This has nothing to do with the trailer's running lights which are powered solely by the TV when the trailer is plugged into it. Here's a screen shot of the 1998 Owner's Manual ...

[​IMG]

9. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

I guess mine 2000 Coleman Cheyenne was wired wrong.

10. YellowCityGuy

YellowCityGuy New Member

I'm with Raycfe and the OP. My 1999 coleman had (used to have) a switch that operated in exactly the manner described. If the switch was ON, the exterior lights came on (as well as allowing the front storage light to operate).

When I rebuilt my storage box, I removed the tongue box light and associated switch/wiring.

Regardless of what the book said, that makes at least 3 of us with the same setup; I doubt we ALL had previous owners do the same wonky wiring.