1998 Coleman roof clicks up but won't stay.

Discussion in 'Lift Systems' started by Cmiszczuk, Aug 12, 2019.

1. Cmiszczuk

Cmiszczuk New Member

Hi.
    I have a 98 Coleman Casa Grande and I'm having roof issues. From my Google searching it seems my issue is unique in that I DO hear the usual clicking noise during crank up but the roof doesn't stay. (so resetting the catch likely won't fix me?) I can secure the crank handle with a bungee cord to the bumper and the roof stays up no problem, but as I'm now planning to sell I was hoping i could understand what would be required to fix this.

2. tzmartin

tzmartin Well-Known Member

I have your same model. The ratchet tab is the problem most likely. The little spring is broken or loose or the tab is worn out. You'll need to pull the back off to have a look.

It's not expensive to DIY but will take some time. I'd clean the brake wheel with some brake cleaner while you're in there.

You'll need to Remove the spare tire and bumper. The tire cover has a metal cable you'll need to remove as well. I believe there are 6-8 screws underneath and about 8-10 rivets to drill out on the top edge. Be very careful as you slide the plastic out. There is glue tape under the aluminum sill/flange on the top side of the panel. You can gently set the whole assembly to the side just be mindful of the the wires that will be everywhere.

Good luck. Let me know if I can help.

3. megcabra

megcabra Well-Known Member