1998 Coleman Westlake Roof Sag

Discussion in 'Roof/Floor Repair & Maintenance' started by klinenko, Jul 15, 2016.

1. klinenko

klinenko New Member

Hey guys,

We bought our [PU] about a month ago and have already taken it out 2 times! It's been such a great addition to our family.

For the past 2 weeks, it's sat level in the backyard. It's been raining but no worries, we covered it in a tarp. We went to open it up today only to see that the rubber seal was inhibiting us from opening the door. We were able to push it around to get the crank out and then we realized that the roof appeared to have sagged a bit from front to back. We cranked it up and then when we tried to put the door on and the door wouldn't slide into place. With some shaking we got the door in place and latched in.

Has anyone else had this problem? What can I do to avoid it? Do I need support braces from side to side and front to back under the top? We don't have an AC unit. What's the best course of action.

Thanks in advance for your help!

2. swordfish

swordfish Well-Known Member

Sounds like you need to adjust the roof height so that all 4 corners are equal. This is done by placing a temporary support (short 2x4 blocks of equal length) at each post and let the roof rest on them. Go under the pup and take off the whiffle tree cover. Adjust lock nuts so that all 4 cables are under the same tension as the tightest cable.
    [​IMG]
    You will need a Vise Grip to hold the cable and a wench to turn the lock nut. Pluck the cable to get the same tune as the tightest cable. Now all 4 corners should have the same height.

3. klinenko

klinenko New Member

4. frolin

frolin Member

There were A/C supports that would install on the inside, impossible to fine pretty much now But some have had them fabed out of square tubing at a local machine shop. Then install after painting. Search on here,, i am thinking of doing it at I have some bad sag myself.