1998 Palomino Mustang roof total complete build

Discussion in 'Roof/Floor Repair & Maintenance' started by smb_racing, Aug 25, 2014.

1. smb_racing

smb_racing Member

Picked up a 1998 Palomino Mustang with a completely bad roof, my wife says I've lost my mind but I think I am up to the challenge. Canvas and upholstery are very nice and everything else is reported to work well, I popped it up partially and found it to be mostly dry inside still and not molded. I will try to keep some up to date pictures and the threads that I have seen regarding these projects have been very helpful. I still welcome any feedback and tips/tricks that may make it easier on me. We have enjoyed our 1993 Palomino Yearling for the past few years but hopeful that this Mustang will turn out to be as nice if not better :)[​IMG]

2. smb_racing

smb_racing Member

This is what I was greeted with upon getting the camper home...
    [​IMG]

3. Dubbya

Dubbya Wherever you go, there you are...

Oooooh! That's not right at all!

Plenty of roof rebuild threads around. Use the search link to find a few you can use and don't hesitate to PM the members to ask for advice either.

4. smb_racing

smb_racing Member

The view from inside isn't much better
    [​IMG]

5. Dubbya

Dubbya Wherever you go, there you are...

Have you considered parting it out and using the money to buy another one with an intact roof?

Mamie likes this.
  6. davekkk

davekkk Active Member

Is it so rotted out that it just fell apart lifting it up? Or did something fall on it like a tree?

7. smb_racing

smb_racing Member

Sorry for the delay in response, I actually have another palomino but wanted a larger pup for us, so whenxi had the chance to trade for this Mustang it was a pretty easy decision. I knew we wouldn't be camping in it this season but the Yearling is still performing well, just a bit cramped. Parting it out wasn't really an option because I couldn't buy another pup for less than the cost of the roof build. So here is what happened today...popped the top on the mustang, what better way to remove a completely rotten soaking wet roof than with the boom truck
    [​IMG]
    In the shop today hooked up the chainfall to remove some components I forgot to remove previously, and this happened...[​IMG]
    Upon deconstructing I found the roof is built so incredibly cheap that I am not surprised it failed...[​IMG]

8. tfischer

tfischer A bad day camping beats a good day at the office Gold Supporting Member

I'd love to know this too

9. smb_racing

smb_racing Member

It appears the damage started due to a leak around the roof vent, the two center cross pieces were rotted in half, both end cross pieces were only 1.5" wide material, the PO said they were camping in it during deer season last year and it snowed, and the additional weight caused it to buckle. The new roof is going to have substantially more cross pieces to hopefully strengthen the structure.

10. Clive

Clive New Member

In manufacture I'm sure they take the cheapest sorry cost effective route. In a rebuild you can afford to use up-rated material, I'd use T section light alloy for the cross braces, no need to go for aircraft grade even pressed galvanized steel spars may be better than weak wood. You can fix wood to the metal for roof lining etc..

11. smb_racing

smb_racing Member

Metal would be interesting to do because it is my favorite material, but I have started with wood so I will continue with it. This was the progress I made yesterday..

All points have been drilled with a Kreg pocket joint, the side pieces are attached to the cross braces using course thread screws and urethane construction adhesive.
    [​IMG]
    Completed upper framework
    [​IMG]
    Framework with lauan plywood bonded with urethane construction adhesive and secures with an air stapler to hold until dry
    [​IMG]

12. smb_racing

smb_racing Member

Nothing exciting happens during the week due to my work schedule, but stripped the aluminum from one side board to use as a pattern, the cheapness extends to those also. New is cut from a solid board instead of being pieced together, laminating it with new aluminum tonight and hopefully assembling the structures this weekend :)
    [​IMG]

13. smb_racing

smb_racing Member

Big progress today, assembled the roof to the side boards
    [​IMG]
    Also placed the assembled roof onto the trailer
    [​IMG]
    Hooked up the lift system
    [​IMG]
    Closes nicely, next need to laminate the foam to the roof and paint the interior
    [​IMG]

14. smb_racing

smb_racing Member

Slightly more progress, bonded the foam down to the wood, most of the major stuff is done. Painting the inside of the new roof this afternoon, if all goes well new wiring will be later this week and canvas reattached this coming weekend, can't wait to see how it all looks when completed. [​IMG]

15. PhillyTitan

PhillyTitan New Member

Great work so far SMB!

16. Jayko

Jayko Jayco 141J aka Big Bertha

Nice work.

17. smb_racing

smb_racing Member

Thanks! I'm getting pretty excited about this Palomino. Painted the interior of the new roof yesterday [​IMG]

18. smb_racing

smb_racing Member

Another busy weekend, ran into some wiring problems but hope to sort them out soon.

Canvas re-attached
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Did some cleaning up on the interior, canvas needs some MAJOR cleaning and some repair but not as bad as I had thought..
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Roof membrane is going to wait until spring unfortunately, weather is turning colder here in Ohio and I'm afraid it wouldn't set up correctly.

19. smittydog32

smittydog32 New Member

Great job on the roof. Wish I would have seen your work before I took mine apart last week. I tried to go back with like materials and no cross braces(mine is a 75 Coleman and did not have any cross bracing to begin with) and it did not work the way I would have liked for it to. I have some sag that I am going to have to reinforce with some sort of bracket inside on the ceiling, or take it all back apart and do something like what you have done.

20. mraymus

mraymus New Member

Not looking for a reply, just posting a "Wow!" That was some amazing work. So, it's now June 22nd. Did you finish this up in the spring? Would love to see the finished project.