1998 Starcraft Spacemaster Wiring

Discussion in 'Wiring' started by Erik Bowdish, Sep 8, 2020.

1. Erik Bowdish

Erik Bowdish New Member

I recently bought a fixer upper pop up camper because the size and price were right. Part of the rebuild includes a new roof, which I have pretty much done. I (stupidly... I know) didn't take pictures of all of the wired connections going to the roof. The overhead lights connect into the 120v system through a kill switch and blue/white wire on the roadside front lift arm. Near the roadside rear lift arm, there are two sets of wires coming from the bottom of the camper up. One is green/white and is the running lights that are on the roof. The other is red/white and is what I'm confused about. There is a kill switch at the top of this rear lift arm and the picture I do have shows the red/white wire going under the cover (to I assume hook into the kill switch). I believe the red/white wire should be connected through the kill switch to the overhead lights to run on battery power when not plugged in. I'm a beginner when it comes to electrical work, so I just want to get a sanity check. If I hook the red/white wire directly into the overhead lighting circuit, will it cause any electrical issues (tripping breakers, etc.)?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. NMroamer

NMroamer Well-Known Member

What ever you do DON'T connect any interior lights to 120 volts. You need help from someone who knows how to wire the camper.

3. eoleson1

eoleson1 Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

The blue and white wires come from the converter, but they are 12 volt DC, not 120 volt. The red and white wires might go to the bunk light outlet (if there is one). Follow them back to their source if you can.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2020
  4. Erik Bowdish

Erik Bowdish New Member

Sorry, NMroamer I wasn't clear in the wording in the first post. The wire comes from the converter so it is 12v DC. My question was if there would be separate wires coming to the overhead lighting from the converter for using the lights when plugged into a campground outlet vs. running off of the onboard battery. Based on eoleson1's answer, I don't think that is the case. There is not a bunk light outlet that I am aware of, but I'll confirm that. I'll also see if I can trace the wires back. Thanks for the responses!