1998 Starcraft

Volly

Jul 13, 2020
I'm fixing this camper for a client. It was at first to fix some stuff but it has turned into a restore and upgrade.
I call the camper "Giving Camper" as it gives me fits.

So to tell you my tale of woe the following have been done so far:
  • Pressure wash the entire unit
  • Spent several days cleaning all the mold off the canvas while working in over 100 degree heat. I used 30 second cleaner out of desperation and that stuff worked like a champ.
  • Service the AC and test.
  • Replace all the tie downs with new shock cord.
  • Repair the Shelby lift mechanism. This involved replacing 3 cables and rebuilding the unit. The suck factor on this one was really high. It took forever for me to find documentation on it. (I love this site! it has been a wealth of information and has saved me many hours of grief.)
  • Sew up several holes in the canvas and in the clear plastic. Fishing line works great on this.
  • Patch the vinyl over the larger bed with a vinyl patch.
  • Patch 4 holes in the screens with screen tape
  • Pull the fridge and repair the cabinet that a previous person did wrong.
  • Replace all the counter surfaces due to water damage. This involved milling plywood, sanding, filling, sanding again and again, filling again, sanding again, priming, painting, and finally 3 coats of poly. They look fantastic. They are ready to install.
  • Pulling all the cabinet doors off, removing all hardware, sanding, painting. Wire brushing all hardware and using hammer paint to give a different look.
  • Repairing the stove unit - completely rebuilt in plywood with side wings that are held on with French cleats.
  • Replace the outside electrical outlet and box due to the outlet failing and a water leak around the outlet.
  • Welding the pole stay back on the frame so the bigger pullout bed stays up.
  • Fixing the door strike plate - as in building a custom one to work with the existing door.
  • Fixing other electrical issues due to a previous person doing things they should not have done.
  • Replacing ripped out grommets in the canvas.
  • Replaced the wheel cover for the spare
What is left to do:
  • Paint all the cabinets. My client picked out a nice plum color.
  • Fix a leak in the rear corner where the furnace is. I discovered this problem this evening when trying to get to where a suspected ant nest was. It also had to my joy a resident Black Widow spider.
  • Fix the seals around the door.
  • The lower wooden panel on the door has rotted at the bottom and needs to be replaced.
  • Take out the pull out cooler and make it a drawer so things can be stored in it. My client hates the cooler and wants it gone.
  • install peal and stick flooring.
  • Replace the bolt that holds the safety stay for the side pullout.
  • All gas lines are needed to be pressure tested for leaks. I'm being told they smell gas when turned on.
  • License plate holder and light got broken off and need to be reinstalled. I have the parts.
  • Replace the putty tape in the left rear corner to fix the leak.
  • Paint the inside of the cabinets white to make things easier to see. Right now they are the color of the wood paneling.
  • Install rails so the pull out bins in the cabinet next to the door don't jump up and down while the popup is in motion. I have aluminum angle pieces that will work perfectly.
  • Replace all the Velcro that is used in tight corners to help seal the canvas to the camper.
  • Rewire the AC power cord so it is routed via the same path as the lights., Right now a power cord is used to power it. If you forget to unplug it and try to close up the camper, you mess up the paneling inside. My client did that and broke a panel.
  • Verify all running lights are working.
  • See if the wheel on the swivel jack can be raised a couple of inches. Right now when at full raise it is only 2 inches off the ground.
  • I reserved the right to add more. Knowing how Giving Camper loves to give - this list will have more.

Volly

Jul 13, 2020
A few pictures of Giving Camper. More coming soon.

Attachments

• 37569.jpeg
    37569.jpeg
    163.6 KB · Views: 94
  • 37572.jpeg
    37572.jpeg
    157.1 KB · Views: 89
  • 20200707_195025.jpg
    20200707_195025.jpg
    119.6 KB · Views: 87

Volly

Jul 13, 2020
Here are a few more pictures. Hopefully with my list of things to do and work already done the pictures will make sense.

Attachments

• 37488.jpeg
    37488.jpeg
    140 KB · Views: 93
  • 35368.jpeg
    35368.jpeg
    253.6 KB · Views: 96
  • 35825.jpeg
    35825.jpeg
    206.5 KB · Views: 91
  • 35878.jpeg
    35878.jpeg
    273.2 KB · Views: 91
  • 36276.jpeg
    36276.jpeg
    230 KB · Views: 92
  • 36434.jpeg
    36434.jpeg
    252.6 KB · Views: 91
  • 36451.jpeg
    36451.jpeg
    141.4 KB · Views: 88
  • 36714.jpeg
    36714.jpeg
    186.5 KB · Views: 88
  • 36951.jpeg
    36951.jpeg
    293.5 KB · Views: 89
  • 37098.jpeg
    37098.jpeg
    132.1 KB · Views: 97

1380ken

Super Active Member
Nov 7, 2013
Mass
about 40 hours. Yes, I'm getting paid well to do this restore.
Not to be negative but your client probably would of been better off buying a different camper. Usually these restorations are only practical if it is with free labor.

davekro

Super Active Member
Aug 30, 2019
SF Bay Area, CA
Love to see this! I have been doing restoration projects on my 1999 Stardust. It's always helpful to say the model also. From your pics I see it is a Spacemaster. That is the ≈ 12' box model. Amazing work. You must be fast (I am certainly NOT), and I can see you have woodworking talents! We have the same white vinyl sheet flooring as your 'before' floor did. We have not found a suitable pattern/color we like at H Depot or Lowes. We keep thinking staying with a white(ish) floor like the OEM would make the interior 'brighter' and not darken the feel and look more cramped (ours is the shorter 10' box & no slide-out).

Did you need to buy any of the washers 'formed washers' used to attach the bunk canvas bungees to? We are missing a bunch of those.
Again GREAT work!

Volly

Jul 13, 2020
Love to see this! I have been doing restoration projects on my 1999 Stardust. It's always helpful to say the model also. From your pics I see it is a Spacemaster. That is the ≈ 12' box model. Amazing work. You must be fast (I am certainly NOT), and I can see you have woodworking talents! We have the same white vinyl sheet flooring as your 'before' floor did. We have not found a suitable pattern/color we like at H Depot or Lowes. We keep thinking staying with a white(ish) floor like the OEM would make the interior 'brighter' and not darken the feel and look more cramped (ours is the shorter 10' box & no slide-out).

Did you need to buy any of the washers 'formed washers' used to attach the bunk canvas bungees to? We are missing a bunch of those.
Again GREAT work!
I used the grommet kit from HarborFreight. My only pet peeve is I wish there was a hand tool that one could crimp the grommet. MY only option was to make a jig that held the strike pin and press plate so I could use a big c-clamp. It worked but it was a pain. I'd also had to sew back together the fabric where it ripped. I used fishing line which worked like a champ.