1998 Viking 2460 ST Popup Camper Remodel Project

ndillon

Jul 13, 2014
14704450192_d66e62efca_h.jpg

On July 12th we picked up a 1998 Viking 2460 ST. I found this camper on Craigslist for $1,800. We drove 2 1/2 hours to check it out, not knowing if we would actually come back with it or not.

We ended up settling at $1,550. So we hooked it up and brought her home. Any my new hobby was born.

She has a shower, casset toilet, heater, AC that is cold, water heater, on board water storage, queen bed, twin bed, electric lift system, 3 way fridge, twin propane tanks, brand new rails, and an awning that was never used.

14518081949_60c006fd14_h.jpg

14681739926_73daefc83b_h.jpg

14681758576_8a605da6b2_h.jpg

14520300177_5e471ae683_h.jpg

The outside is in good shape. Just need to be cleaned really well. The graphics are pealing and I will be taking them off and replacing some of them.

14518124348_d5f2eadc64_h.jpg

14701590971_80da7c9909_h.jpg

14701598931_2cbaacc5d1_h.jpg

14702377564_7a4a6cc9cd_h.jpg

14518107089_2102054b35_h.jpg

On the interior, everything was in really good shape. Except that there was some mildew growth from the previous winter. This almost made me walk, but I was determined that I could get it out. My wife told me I better be sure that I could.

14702398464_da1a586763_h.jpg

14518118770_628d4f6a9e_h.jpg

14724690693_f23f7990b0_h.jpg

14702422364_5a7276388c_h.jpg

14704529222_0153f2cb24_h.jpg

So this is what I am starting with. Lots of work to do, but in great shape in my opinion.

I have already jumped right in and plan to paint the inside, lay a new floor, redo the counter tops, install a radio with controls to turn Off/On speakers inside and out, voltage meter, etc.

So I hope you enjoy these and there are already several updates to share form the first week.

ndillon

Jul 13, 2014
My first step was to jump right in and take the cabinet doors off and counter tops.

I thought about removing the cabinets completely, but it seemed like too much work. I am just going to paint around everything.

14702479504_ffe8bab97b_h.jpg

14724755773_876ef25705_h.jpg

And here are the counter tops in the shed awaiting a resurfacing. They are in really good shape, just ugly.

14726603933_cb55758c63_h.jpg

ndillon

Jul 13, 2014
Next I got to cleaning on all that Mildew and Mold growth. I had heard that the Bass Pro Shops soultion was good, but it was on back order.

First I tried a bottle from Wal-mart made by Campco. Nope.
Next I got some Iosso from Amazon. Nope.
Finally I went with Clorox Outdoor bleach. Winner.

Before photos:

14711175105_f162b61b58_h.jpg

14524729997_5127cb32bd_h.jpg

After Photos:

14704601732_ab0d7a4816_h.jpg

14518217218_8fd652075b_h.jpg

Wow. What a difference. A weight was lifted off my shoulders.

ndillon

Jul 13, 2014
Yesterday me, my wife, and my mom went out and found new fabric to cover all the seats and make new curtains. Ended up costing me $105 for all the fabric. More than I wanted to spend, but my mom is great with sewing and it will make a HUGE difference. I forgot to get a couple pics of the fabric, so more on that later.

Also yesterday I decided to start cleaning out between all the cabinets as I get prepared to paint. As I moved closer to the entryway door, I noticed a very soft spot that I had not paid attention to till yesterday.

So I took the door off to find that the wood was soft and rotten.

14731174093_4e48247c90_h.jpg

I rolled back the flooring to see how far back it went, luckily it was not too far.

14524674869_c3f598b80f_h.jpg

So I cut back the flooring to good wood where it met a cross member of the frame.

14688343116_cd0410d82a_h.jpg

Cut out the bad piece. You can see the rotten parts on the ground below.

14731198783_62b7c2b5b0_h.jpg

Cut a new board and put it down with liquid nails. My son was eager to test it out.

14524891437_819c78d4ce_h.jpg

Put the old flooring back to keep it level with the other flooring that I am going to cover over. (I think)

14708162791_c33362d2bb_h.jpg

And here it is with the door back on and a couple pieces of the new floor as a sneak peak. (But it did not stick worth a damn and I am going to have to work on that.)

14524657580_c56db75f4e_h.jpg

And that is it for the first week. I am going to take today off because it is raining, and my wife might kill me if I don't take a day's rest on it.

ndillon

Jul 13, 2014
PhillyTitan said:
So far so good! Did you find the roof leak?

We have had several days of rain since I set it up, including a few heavy down pours and heavy rain yesterday, and have not found any roof leaks. I suspect that this was due to rain getting in around the door. The previous owner said that they never used the awning which would have helped prevent that. Also when I was re-installing the door, I noticed that the door was never properly installed from the manufacturer. One of the screws does not even bite into the wood.

My plans are to apply silicone caulking all around the door, inside and out and monitor it closely.

PhillyTitan

Mar 18, 2014
ndillon said:
We have had several days of rain since I set it up, including a few heavy down pours and heavy rain yesterday, and have not found any roof leaks. I suspect that this was due to rain getting in around the door. The previous owner said that they never used the awning which would have helped prevent that. Also when I was re-installing the door, I noticed that the door was never properly installed from the manufacturer. One of the screws does not even bite into the wood.

My plans are to apply silicone caulking all around the door, inside and out and monitor it closely.

The mildew on top of the canvas in the front bunk is indicative of a roof leak. I'd check that center seam on the roof very closely.

ndillon

Jul 13, 2014
PhillyTitan said:
The mildew on top of the canvas in the front bunk is indicative of a roof leak. I'd check that center seam on the roof very closely.

My bad, I thought you were referring to the door. If the mildew came form a leak and not from being stored away wet, then it is small.

There are two other spots of concern. Both are on the entry side corners. One is behind where the cassette toilet sits. It has appearance of being wet in the past (waffling panels and such), but has remained dry throughout the last week. The other corner is of bigger concern with a bit of mildew and mold growth on one of the 4" x 12" boards that serves as a seat support. So I will be replacing that. But again, not moisture as of yet.

I will definitely check that middle seam on the roof out. When I get around to the outside, I am going to be caulking up every nook and cranny I find.

PhillyTitan

Mar 18, 2014
ndillon said:
My bad, I thought you were referring to the door. If the mildew came form a leak and not from being stored away wet, then it is small.

Even what appears to be a small leak could be worse than you think.
If the interior roof has a plastic cover over the center water may be getting channeled down to the ends of your pup and getting into the walls and floorboards (only overflowing onto the canvas). If left unchecked the floorboards can rot out and loosen the lifter bolts and pulleys. Then you'd have a real problem. After the next storm, check the plastic cover for water (you can probably just pull it off). Then lift up the bunks and check for moisture on the plywood. If you're seeing either then there is a roof leak that is worse than it appears.

It could be the caulking on the center roof seam or the seal around the A/C has failed, but I'd get that nipped as soon as possible before it turns into cancer.

zinger60

Sep 7, 2008
Northern IN
We have a 2002 Viking 2465ST that looks similar to yours. We have a slideout so the floor plan is different. We have the same interior upholstery but our counters are a little bit different even though they are green. We also have the same shower as you do. When we went to look at ours 6 years ago, it was the first pop-up we had ever really looked at. When I saw the mold in the canvas on one of the bunkends, it almost turned us away too. The man had explained that is brother had borrowed it shortly before that, used the shower and popped it down before the canvas dried out. I was so afraid that the mold would not come out but everything else was in excellent condition so we bought it. The first thing we did was worked on getting the mold out. We tried some things but the only thing that worked was bleach. We changed the vinyl floor which updated it a lot. We have loved our little camper ever since and have only had a few problems come up since then. If you have a front storage box, you might want to keep an eye out for cracks in the lid. We had a few of them that you couldn't really see. The time that we caught it was when we were getting ready to go camping one time and saw that the floor in the corner of the storage box looked wet. Well, it was more than wet, it was completely rotted through. We had to replace the whole floor in the box and then patch the holes in the lid. I had heard other Viking owners had the same problems. We just noticed the other day that there are several small cracks in the area next to the lid. Keep posting pics of your remodel. I would love to see how it's coming along.

ndillon

Jul 13, 2014
PhillyTitan said:
Even what appears to be a small leak could be worse than you think.
If the interior roof has a plastic cover over the center water may be getting channeled down to the ends of your pup and getting into the walls and floorboards (only overflowing onto the canvas). If left unchecked the floorboards can rot out and loosen the lifter bolts and pulleys. Then you'd have a real problem. After the next storm, check the plastic cover for water (you can probably just pull it off). Then lift up the bunks and check for moisture on the plywood. If you're seeing either then there is a roof leak that is worse than it appears.

It could be the caulking on the center roof seam or the seal around the A/C has failed, but I'd get that nipped as soon as possible before it turns into cancer.

Currently I have all the bedding and cushions out of the camper while i clean it down. The plywood on the beds them selves do not have ANY signs of water damage. So that is a positive.

ndillon

Jul 13, 2014
zinger60 said:
We have a 2002 Viking 2465ST that looks similar to yours. We have a slideout so the floor plan is different. We have the same interior upholstery but our counters are a little bit different even though they are green. We also have the same shower as you do. When we went to look at ours 6 years ago, it was the first pop-up we had ever really looked at. When I saw the mold in the canvas on one of the bunkends, it almost turned us away too. The man had explained that is brother had borrowed it shortly before that, used the shower and popped it down before the canvas dried out. I was so afraid that the mold would not come out but everything else was in excellent condition so we bought it. The first thing we did was worked on getting the mold out. We tried some things but the only thing that worked was bleach. We changed the vinyl floor which updated it a lot. We have loved our little camper ever since and have only had a few problems come up since then. If you have a front storage box, you might want to keep an eye out for cracks in the lid. We had a few of them that you couldn't really see. The time that we caught it was when we were getting ready to go camping one time and saw that the floor in the corner of the storage box looked wet. Well, it was more than wet, it was completely rotted through. We had to replace the whole floor in the box and then patch the holes in the lid. I had heard other Viking owners had the same problems. We just noticed the other day that there are several small cracks in the area next to the lid. Keep posting pics of your remodel. I would love to see how it's coming along.

I did not mention it above, but the cover on the box has the exact same issues. The guy that sold it too me already took the time and taped it and sealed it with fiberglass. The seal on the entire box is completely worn and falling off, so that will need to be replaced. The box itself on the inside probably needs to be replaced, but that will be a winter project. As for the lid itself, I would love to change it to a diamond plate box that I see others going with, but that is expensive and will be a future project. As for now I just want to make sure that it is dry.

My main focus right now is the interior in hopes of a early fall trip or two. I will then shift my focus to the wheels and bearings, then the outside condition which will involve removal of all the graphics and evaluation it a paint job is required.

ndillon

Jul 13, 2014
Just a quick update. I have really been busy at work, 3 year old, 2 month old, and lots of rain.

Any who. I ended up pulling up the toilet in the corner and patching another section of the floor. I have redrawn the toilet area in Sketch up and am going to rebuild that box due to water damage.

As for now I have pulled up all the flooring and will be painting and applying the new floor this weekend coming.

Here is where I am at now.

ebu6u2eq.jpg

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Dubbya

Wherever you go, there you are...
Aug 2, 2011
Steinbach, MB
Yep, that's a full featured camper right there! FWIW, you're only a few screws away from having the cabinets out so why not remove them? It'd sure make redoing your floor a lot easier.

If you want to do some reading, I tore my '96 2060ST all the way down to the frame and completely restored it with a full floor and new walls.

Haven't painted it yet but I'm definitely considering diamond plate on the front and rear when the time comes.

I'm sure you'll find a few useful tidbits in my resto thread.

http://www.popupportal.com/index.php?topic=56883

I'll keep an eye on your progress so if you have any questions, fire away!

ndillon

Jul 13, 2014
Lots of work has been done. Just wanted to share. I will try and fill in the details later.

y7e9a3ep.jpg

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk