1998 Viking Saga 1906

Discussion in 'Camper Pre-Purchase Questions' started by Maycat, Feb 5, 2018.

1. Maycat

Maycat Member

Hello folks!
    I just came across this on Craigslist:

https://chico.craigslist.org/rvs/d/viking-tent-trailer/6484950764.html

(if the link is gone it was a 1998 Viking Saga 1906 for $2350 )

The price seems reasonable, although higher than NADA guides.

Any thoughts on this popup? Anything special I should look for?
    Anyone with major problems with this model/year?

Thanks in advance,

Tanya

Last edited: Feb 12, 2018
  2. myride

myride Well-Known Member

NADA is just a "guide", prices change depending on location, condition, options etc. To be honest that unit looks / seems pretty clean BUT seems a bit overpriced for its year. After conversion (US to Canadian) that works out to just a little less than I paid for my 2004 Utah in pristine shape.
    All depends on how its been cared for and what the buyer is willing to pay though!
    Viking makes a good unit, I looked at them before I bought my previous Palamino.

Maycat likes this.
  3. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

Maycat likes this.
  4. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

It looks like a nice little pup. Its lite but also lite on storage. The price seems a little high for me. Happy Camper hunting.

Maycat likes this.
  5. Maycat

Maycat Member

Thank you for all your input folks! I will see it this week and feel them out. As far as pricing most of them around here seem very high priced and are in poor condition. I had someone hang up on me last week after I offered higher than NADA guide for his mildewed, 20 year old camper he got for free! I'm getting frustrated and was going to give up for a while when I saw the Viking. Nada says high is $1650.

Most common listing : " $3,000 for 1992 camper in great condition. Needs roof, had torn canvas and tires. No low ball offers" How do you keep your sanity looking for a popups?

For a good laugh, my favorite posting so far:

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/scz/tro/d/starcraft-21-pop-up/6483730314.html

myride likes this.
  6. BikeNFish

You can't be too patient when shopping for a pup. I was looking on and off for two years before I purchased mine.

omahadlr and Maycat like this.
  7. DJS12354

DJS12354 Well-Known Member

Greetings from NEPA! Take your time searching and be willing to travel some to find the right pup for you. It's out there!

Maycat likes this.
  8. GreatBigAbyss

GreatBigAbyss Active Member

Look, I don't know where you are located, whether you're in a cold state or not. Where I am, people don't sell pop-ups in the winter, because it's too damn cold to set them up. People start shopping in April, so I find that is when most of the pop-ups get listed. Certainly, I bought mine in April, and I had plenty of selection. May and June are also good months to look. If I look today on Kijiji (kinda like Canadian Craiglist), then there is 1 pop up ad. Not much selection at all in January/February.

So, wait a couple of months, and you should have more choice.

Obviously if you're in a warm state like California, Arizona, Florida, etc, just ignore the above. You're good to shop year round.

Maycat and myride like this.
  9. myride

myride Well-Known Member

Maycat, "most" people are more prone to a lower offer this time of year. Keep the faith a reasonable seller will come along. Go look at the Viking and decide if in fact you can live with the size/options. THEN let them know what the NADA pricing is and maybe offer something your more comfortable with. Just have a price in mind and don't let the heart rule the head as they say.

That craigslist post is priceless!....It looks soooooo well cared for, needs chains, tires, de-rusting....hubs are in "great shape"...not to mention the rear latches...wonder if they even DO latch..lol. All for the tidy sum of 2000.00
    I can't stop grinning wondering what color the sky is in their world!

Last edited: Feb 6, 2018
    Maycat likes this.
  10. Maycat

Maycat Member

:D

11. Maycat

Maycat Member

"I can't stop grinning wondering what color the sky is in their world!"

Yep! Priceless. Most of them are like this. **sigh**

12. myride

myride Well-Known Member

...not surprising. ..I restore classic cars as a hobby.....used to be able to pull really good projects out of farmers fields for next to nothing..."just get it off my property"....then along came Barrett-Jackson and now they all figure they're sitting on a goldmine. ...*sigh*

Maycat likes this.
  13. Ladiesman

Ladiesman Active Member

Craigslist is full of scammers these days. Especially the rv section and the Boat section. I have had the best luck with Face Book market place. I avoid craigslist now. The only thing i use it for is to try and get an idea of what things are going for.

Maycat likes this.
  14. CamperChrissy

CamperChrissy Well-Known Member

I'm going to go against the grain and throw out another suggestion: if you want to start camping soon, then just focus on finding one that is good enough (meaning acceptable condition for a reasonable price). Don't worry about age or floorplan or features. Then maybe you can start camping sooner. Then just keep searching for the perfect camper which, as many have said, might take years. I ended up doing this, although by accident. We bought the one we thought we wanted and then after just a few trips, realized we needed a bigger/better one. So now I have the luxury of browsing Craigslist, while still having a perfectly nice camper to enjoy.

Maycat likes this.
  15. GreatBigAbyss

I dunno...I wouldn't go out and just buy the first one, unless that first one happens to meet your criteria. If you've decided in your head that you really want a 10' box, don't go out and buy an 8' box just because it's available. Generally speaking, there are only so many floor plans, and I find that most of the 8' boxes have a similar floor plan, as do the 10' boxes. What it comes down to are features and condition. Does it have an ice box, or a fridge? Does it have a water tank with an electric pump, or is it a hand pump? Can the stove be moved outside, or is it fixed inside? Does it have an awning? Is the canvas, roof and floor in good shape?

We got lucky in that the first trailer we looked at was exactly what we were looking for as far as size and features, it was within our budget, and in decent enough condition. But that was after a couple of months of browsing on Kijiji (Canadian Craigslist). As I mentioned before. Around April was when the trailers for sale started flooding in. I would at least wait until then.

16. Maycat

Maycat Member

I love the comments and suggestions! Thank you!

I'm impatient right now, we have a big trip planned in July and I want to stop worrying about this. Once I get something in my head I struggle letting go. I have wanted one for around 10 years. I almost died a few months ago from a serious random illness (DRESS Syndrome) and realize that life is too short to wish for something and not do it. Also, after being sick my joints are still inflamed and RA is in my future so tent camping isn't going to work anymore.

I know my needs:
    Must not unfold to more than 20' to fit in the National Park campgrounds we go to
    Be 2000 lbs or less to tow with our maximum tow capacity of 3500lbs with 4 adults and 2 large dogs, and a week's worth of food.
    Have a minimum size bed of at least 1 queen size
    10-12' length folded
    Refrigerator instead of Ice Box
    1995 or newer
    No soft or spongy flooring and no major renovations needed as I am work full time and go to school
    No mechanical issues or rust
    Tires in good shape
    No bad smell
    No bad gut feeling from seller

Wants:
    Heater - AC a plus but that isn't common here
    Trailer brakes - I can install if needed
    Step to enter
    Would love roof racks for bikes or kayaks
    Storage but don't see much in that size
    Awning
    Additional Gaucho couch seating
    Swing galley
    Easy access to Fridge
    Privacy curtains
    Prefer less than $2000 and not much more than NADA Guides unless some reason.

There is a really nice one around 100 miles from me but I don't think I can swing the price, nor the time to drive out.

https://sacramento.craigslist.org/rvs/d/05-fleetwood-coleman-tent/6487194199.html

(if link is gone, it was a 2005 Coleman Yuma for $3400)

If I see another 1985 trailer that needs work for $3000 I may throw my iPhone! :mad:

Last edited: Feb 12, 2018
  17. BikeNFish

Maycat likes this.
  18. GreatBigAbyss

Those seem like reasonable needs and wants. If you can be no more than 20' unfolded, then go with a 10' box. A 12' box will be between 22' and 24' when unfolded. A 10' trailer will probably have 1 queen and 1 double bed. 1400lbs dry seems to be the sweet spot for a 10' trailer. Ours is 1400lbs dry, and 2200lbs loaded with propane, battery, and camping equipment, therefore easily towable by our 3600lbs tow rated minivan.

Focus on the floor layout and the condition. Some 10' trailers will have a gaucho, some will have a long countertop. Ours has a long countertop which I prefer, as it is a place to keep clothes bins, food bins, etc. when camped. It also provides more cabinet storage than a gaucho. If you find a trailer that is in good condition but without a gaucho, consider going without the gaucho. You listed it as an option anyway. You don't necessarily need the awning or the roof rack, as those can be purchased and added later, same with the privacy curtains. Try to be non compromising about the fridge and the heater. Those are harder to retrofit after.

And, for even a 20 year old camper in really good condition, I wouldn't consider $3000 to be unreasonable.

Maycat likes this.
  19. GreatBigAbyss

When we bought our 10' Palomino Pony, the guy selling it had it listed for $4000CAD. I negotiated him down to $3500CAD. Anywhere between the $3000-$4000 range depending on condition and features, is a good price for these units I think.

This Fleetwood should be a superior unit (better built) than my Pony. The Fleetwood in the ad looks pretty ideal as a first camper. Like any camper that is 13-14 years old, it won't be perfect. But as long as the damage is mostly cosmetic (like the peeling cabinet by the heater) and not structural (like a soft floor) then it should be easily rectified. A rip or hole in the canvass can be sewn or patched. So this one looks like it has a cabinet instead of a gaucho. But it has an included awning, and looks like a water tank with electric pump. Oh, and new tires are a nice bonus that will defer an expense for you for a few years.

It doesn't hurt to contact the person in the ad and ask him if he (or she) would accept $2800 (or whatever your max budget is) before driving down to take a look at it.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2018
    Maycat likes this.
  20. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

I my neck of the woods a 100 mile trip to check something out is considered an excuse to take a ride.. Its a Half day event done on a weekend so we take all day by taking the long way have lunch & dinner on the road stopping at the places that look like the Townies hangout in. I also think that camper in Sacramento fits most your needs & will at least get you in the game.

Maycat likes this.