1999 Coleman Niagara Awning repair

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Repairs & Maintenance' started by Spawndn72, Oct 7, 2019.

1. Spawndn72

Spawndn72 Member

My bag awning fell off the camper this weekend. The thread holding the bag to the rubber strip finally gave up the ghost. The bag and the rubber strip are fine.

We rarely used the awning as it seemed to be more trouble than it was worth. For the most part it is in very good shape, but the poles aren't exactly smooth when extending them and if the wind got up, it was pain to try to put it back up, etc.

So, how easy is it to sew the bag back to the rubber strip?
    And is there a better option if I buy a new one? - One that is easy to extend and put back up if the wind gets up?

2. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Truth, is , i ment to fix mine but never did. I did get a portable screen shelter. Easier, and cheaper. Some use the speedy stitcher to sew it themselves.

3. Bultacobill

Bultacobill New Member

My awning is at an auto interior shop having them same piece repaired and a new bag zipper replaced. I will let you know how it turns out and how expensive it is when it’s done.

Ferlee and Sjm9911 like this.
  4. Jenkamus

Jenkamus Active Member

I made an awning but my husband didnt want a bag hanging off the side. We just slide it off and fold ours up and lay it on the bunks before we lower the roof. When we set up, we just slide the keder rope in the awning track.

5. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

Same thing happened to me. The thread all rotted out from water and sun damage over the years. Bag was salvageable, as was the keder strip. I bought a speedy stitcher and some thread. Took me the better part of a day or two to finish. It was super slow going, but in the end I got it all sewn back together. When you are done, put a little bit of Dawn or similar dish soap on the strip - makes it easy to slide back into the channel.

Ferlee likes this.
  6. Ferlee

Ferlee New Member

How did it turn out and how expensive? I'm debating whether to buy a whole new awning or just repair it

7. oceanstater

oceanstater Member

I brought ours to an auto upholstery/sailboat shop. They stitched it up by machine with heavy duty thread. $100.

Ferlee likes this.
  8. Steveo4090

Steveo4090 Well-Known Member

Have you seen fiamma awnings? I was looking at them for our pup before we sold it. I hated the bag awning. Hate with a capital H...

Fiamma awnings aren't cheap but they're easy to use and no more bag to deal with. I'd assume the f35 is the right one for a pup.

https://www.fiammausa.com/en/fiammastore-en/manual-awnings/f35pro-1832290489.html

The f45 is the version with a crank out handle. That's the one I was looking at, but it's considerably more vs the f35. The f35 is completely manual, like your current awning but without the bag.

9. Bultacobill

Bultacobill New Member

A2111475-60EB-4D08-B36A-A0292A605BDE.jpeg 28E93F3F-9845-402B-A1E6-76C7FF511DD4.jpeg
    So the auto repair shop went out of business. I then took my awning to a lady that does sewing. My son is an aircraft mechanic and he has this lady stitch new interiors for his projects so I figured she could fix the awning. I ordered a zipper on line that had larger teeth then the original. She was able to sew the zipper in as seen in the attached photo. She also stitched the part that goes into the track back on with plastic thread that looks like fishing line. She broke 3 needles trying to make it work. It did work but I put 5 rivets with backing plates evenly placed along the track for added strength, as you can also see from the photo. We used it on our recent trip and we had powerful winds and heavy rain and it held up well. Price for the zipper was about $35 and the labor I can’t really say since she did it as a favor for my son. A879CF0D-7A82-49EF-9142-0015E31F7515.jpeg

Ferlee and Sjm9911 like this.