1999 Coleman Santa Fe ABS Roof Repair

Discussion in 'Roof/Floor Repair & Maintenance' started by Daniel Grady Allen, Oct 16, 2021.

1. Daniel Grady Allen

Daniel Grady Allen New Member

Hello All,

I am new here so please forgive me as I know this has been asked before.

Is the best way to repair a 1999 Coleman Santa Fe ABS roof still with the MEK/ABS pellet solution, sanding, and then painting with a truck bed liner?

If not any tips would be great!

-Daniel

2. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Probably not. Most have the best success removing the abs and then painting with grizzly grip. Good luck. Take a look on the roof subfourm, lots of examples there.

3. Eric Webber

Eric Webber Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Welcome. I know that the details from when I did that fix on my 99 Santa Fe are on here somewhere.

Should be about 5-6 years ago

Quick version: I used a drill bit at the ends of each crack in the roof to round out the crack so it stopped spreading.
    ABS (white airsoft pellets) and MEK to fill
    I then put on Fibafuse fibreglass tape to add strength, and covered that with more MEK and ABS goo.
    I then took a white Lego base plate (a nice big flat square that was more than big enough) and painted it with MEK until it softened and became "bendy". Painted the previous spots with MEK and "glued" the lego plate on (both surfaces a bit damp with MEK)
    Once that all set, I prepped the whole roof by lightly scuffing it all by hand and painted with Grizzly grip

It definitely looked like hell - I don't have a good touch with making work "pretty". But it was rock solid still when I sold the camper 2 years ago, and probably the most solid part of the entire trailer

Good luck!