1999 Coleman Sea Pine - Cross Bar Idea for Awning

Discussion in 'Cargo Carriers / Bike Racks / Other Storage Option' started by vbjornsson, May 19, 2021.

1. vbjornsson

vbjornsson New Member

Hi Pop Up Portal, my family recently picked up a '99 Sea Pine and we wanted to install an awning on it. I wasn't very interested in getting an original style Coleman awning, so I decided to get an ARB awning and a set of crossbars to install on it on.

It wasn't until I was starting to lay out the cross bars that I learned that they weren't designed for ABS roof campers. This lead me to doing a bunch of research online, but I still don't have a super clear answer on what I should do.

My plan is to install the crossbars with some larger aluminum plates under the feet on the inside and the outside of the top to distribute any load. The main goal of the crossbars is to provide a solid mount for the awning, and maybe carry very light loads.

The top seems in great shape and very solid. I have tested the edges with my weight a bit and I feel like I could stand on the outside perimeter of the top without issue. I'm just worried based on what I've read on this and other forums, as the consensus seems about 50/50 on putting roof racks on these ABS tops. I've also found pictures in the original Coleman catalog with these tops loaded with bikes and gear, so I don't know what to believe.

Does my plan for mounting these crossbars seem safe?

My backup plan was to just get a the Coleman awning that slides into the rail, but I almost feel like that would stress the top more than what I'm planning to do, since it just hangs from one point and flops around.

coleman-seapine-rack (1).jpg

coleman-seapine-rack (3).jpg

coleman-seapine-rack (2).jpg

2. theseus

theseus Living the Darkside... Silver Supporting Member

Since you don’t have the A/C unit on your pup, I assume you don’t have the internal brace for it. That would have been nice.

I would be extra careful about water proofing when you drill your holes.

The old brochures showed a small car on the roof, but UV eventually kills them.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  3. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

It looks like it has the ac brace from the top. And it looks likes there all in on the idea as its layed out and bought allready. If the top still has the abs on it , there would be no way I would ever put a hole in it. I would get an ez up, oh, i did do just that when i had the pup.

You can do it and it may work out perfectly. Im just saying I wouldn't.

theseus likes this.
  4. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah Gold Supporting Member

Here are my thoughts. Your roof, looks like it is in fantastic shape something many ABS roofs don't have now. At least all the ones I've seen. If you were to screw holes in the top and your roof starts to crack and delaminate you are going to be seriously kicking yourself later. With that said, it's your camper, and your roof looks solid you "may" luck out. If you do decide to drill holes, be extra diligent about sealing those holes. You don't want a single drop of water getting between the ABS and foam.
    I know if it was my roof, I would not touch something that is clearly working. Then again I've had a ton of issues with my alumitite roof due to manufacturer shortcuts. So I'm VERY sensitive to what could happen. I only trust pamphlets with a grain of salt.

Raycfe and xxxapache like this.
  5. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah Gold Supporting Member

Something I started to think about. Instead of screwing it down, could you somehow length the foot and glue it down. Some popup manufacturers started gluing the bike tracks down vrs screwing to save the roof from potential leaks. Just trying to come up with another way around your problem.

6. vbjornsson

vbjornsson New Member

Sjm is right, it actually does have the internal brace installed, so that is a plus.

Although I did purchase the awning and rack already, the awning pictured is the one off of my Jeep. The new one is still in the box. So although I was pretty set on doing this, I'm not all in yet. I can always return the awning and sell the crossbars or something.

I was planning on sealing it with something like Sikaflex or 3m 5200.

7. vbjornsson

vbjornsson New Member

Also, what exactly is the main concern with drilling holes in the top? Is it mainly water damage and leaking, or is there something I'm missing.

8. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Its the abs roof itself. If any moisture gets between the abs and the foam core, it will expand and contract with the heat and delaminate the abs from the core.

9. vbjornsson

vbjornsson New Member

I really appreciate all the insight everyone. I decided to go against people's advice, but I think it turned out well. I used 3M 5200 fast cure sealant under the load distribution plates and around the edges of them as well. The rack feels really solid and held up well for the first trip last weekend. We'll see how it holds up over time.

Attached Files:

Rusty2192 likes this.
  10. Rusty2192

Rusty2192 Well-Known Member

Looks great. If you want to be extra safe you can squirt some self-leveling lap sealant (Dicor or Proflex) over the bolt heads. The bare tops of the bolts are the only thing that would scare me a bit in case there may be any gaps in the 5200 around and under them.

11. vbjornsson

vbjornsson New Member

Yeah I was a little worried about that. I started trying to apply the 5200 over the bolts but it was a pain. I'll check out the self leveling sealant.