1999 Niagara sway bar success

Discussion in 'Tow Vehicles, Hitch & Towing' started by Spawndn72, May 8, 2017.

1. Spawndn72

Spawndn72 Member

Towed my pup all last year with no sway control and it did ok until you hit 65mph and then it immediately started swaying.
    Bought a Curt friction sway bar and got it installed this weekend. Night and day difference. Tows perfectly. I got it up to 75mph just to see and it never even tried to sway. Will be keeping it below 65mph in the future, just wanted to see how it did if the speed creeps up a little.

So if you have thought about a sway bar, I highly recommend getting one.

theseus likes this.
  2. theseus

theseus Centerville, OH

When you get a larger pup, you suddenly find that sway control is a wonderful thing. I have had it on my previous camper and current one. It makes the ride less stressful.

jmkay1 likes this.
  3. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

I have 2002 Niagara... do not need sway control since I put heavier stuff in cargo storage or toward front part of camper. I never had swaying problems. Make sure that the Niagara or any popups are level while towing and heavier things are always up in front toward tongue. I was up to 70 last weekend and no swaying issues (yes, I have radials).

4. Spawndn72

Spawndn72 Member

Apparently they moved the floor layout around to get more weight up front beginning in I think 2001. The models before that have sway problems due to the layout. I load everything I can get into the front cargo box and it still sways without the swaybar. With the swaybar it is a completely different animal.

theseus likes this.
  5. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

I see... ok try put all your cast irons up in front. [:D]

6. mstrbill

mstrbill Active Member

That happened for the 2004 models, same year the separate "plastic" trunk replaced the integrated storage trunk.