1st come 1st served

Discussion in 'First Time & New Camper Owners' started by irishal, Mar 1, 2011.

1. irishal

irishal New Member

Being brand new to pup's we're going to head out for a few days over spring break....probably M-W. Now my fear is that here in OK, there will be nothing available if I don't have the PUP in place the friday night before. How do you guys handle/deal with the 1st come 1st served thing?? We really wanna go to either Roman Nose SP or Osage Hills SP.

Cheers,
    Alan

2. henrywil22

henrywil22 New Member

I'll be honest, I would be nervous of a first come first serve campground. As a matter of fact there is a really nice city campground in Michigan's Upper Pennisula that I would love to stay at but don't just because its first come first serve.

3. Matt O

Matt O Strangers are friends who have not yet met

I have never gone to a 1st come 1st serve campground. I would stay at a place that took reservations but placed you on a first come first serve basis for sites but I wouldn't do it if you didn't even have a spot for the night.

4. Steve A

Steve A A bad day camping beats a great day at work!

Al,

M-W you're likely to get your site. If your schools are anything like ours, not everybody's out the same time.

The question you have to ask yourself is, "What's Plan B?"

5. NJGuy

NJGuy Active Member

Call ahead and ask how many spots are available. If you call in advance, ask the likelihood of being full for a particular date range. Also, week days have fewer campers. Show up as early as possible.

6. sandyaker

sandyaker Rock Hill, SC

I have to ditto both NJGuy and Steve A's comments.

7. Nephidoc

Nephidoc New Member

I have a chaotic schedule and never seem to be able to reserve a campsite.
    I have never "not" gotten a site even on a Fri/Sat if I get there at the crack of dawn.
    There is always someone leaving and if your there sitting (think vulture) you'll get
    a spot.

Stan

8. jeffanddeb

jeffanddeb New Member

We just did this over Presidents day weekend. Holiday weekend bad idea. We got in for Fri. Night but there was nothing available for Sat. Night. The ranger said if it wasn't a holiday weekend it would of been better. I needed to get my camping on so one night was better than no nights. :)

9. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

Unlike some of the others in this thread, I have never made a reservation. I love FCFS campgrounds and seek them out. When I'm not boondocking (camping outside of a formal campground) FCFS is the way I prefer to go. In all my decades of camping I have only been stuck a couple of times. If you can go to a CG on Monday morning you are almost certain to get a spot. Since I'm retired I almost always camp from Monday morning (arrive at the campsite anywhere from 10 AM to 2PM) to Thursday or Friday afternoon. Just know the area and have a backup plan even though it probably won't be needed. I don't even make reservations when I go on 4-6 week "long-loop" touring trips. I simply can't be bound to such an inflexible schedule.

10. Beerlifter

Beerlifter Oklahoma, It's not just for Indians anymore!

Being from Oklahoma and having had to deal with the FCFS problem we have here I can tell you GOOD LUCK!!!!!! Your best bet is to go to WWW.ReserveAmerica.com or WWW.Recreation.gov and find an Oklahoma CG that you would like. Problem #2 is Oklahoma just put the reserve system into place this year so there database isn't up to date yet. There is, however, some CG available at both reservation sites.

Not knowing exactly where in Oklahoma you are located I can't really help you with a campground but I can tell you that Roman Nose SP will be a hard place to get into that particular week. If your are interested I know a few small areas that are free (boondocking) or easy to get into. Just respond back here or drop me an IM and I will let you know.

Once again GOOD LUCK on your FCFS . As I stated before I have been there done that and DIDN"T have a plan B and it wasn't pretty!!!!

11. 05rocky

05rocky New Member

I personally have used recreation.gov and have had good luck with the system. I haven't been to Osage SP but have heard good things from the people I work with who live nearby. M-W shouldn't have a problem getting a site.....

12. irishal

irishal New Member

Beerlifter, we're in OKC. I used those links and got a spot at Cedar Lake in Eastern OK. Reviews of the place were pretty good.

13. 05rocky

05rocky New Member

Cedar lake is beautiful, you will love it!

14. missnanc

missnanc Give me the fresh outdoors!

[2C] I don't bother with the 1st come 1 served CGs. We've always made reservations. As tent campers, I didn't want to waste my time, rushing from work and loading up our gear and then driving at least hour or more only to be told "there'e no room at the inn". Now as a pup camper, I still feel the same way. Don't want to waste my time driving around trying to find somewhere to park. Once, some relatives were to meet us at the same CG, we got a spot ( had reservations), they didn't. (I'll never forget as a child, my parents took off to the Smoky Mountains, when it was less populated with hotels, only to find "no vacancy" signs, Daddy drove back home and that wasn't a short trip either). [:(]

15. kozmos

kozmos New Member

Good info, thanks. We've always tent camped and never really had to think about these things. When looking for a place to pup camp this Memorial Day Holiday I quickly found out about reservations and fcfc. With the wife, kids and dogs I'd much rather know I have a spot waiting unless it's a CG I'm familiar with and feel confident in. We haven't had out new pup out yet and if we can't until Memorial Day, our first outing will be at Table Rock State Park. We were hoping to get out a couple times locally before then. Osage Hills was one spot as well as Cedar Lake (we've tent camped there before).

16. starcrafty

starcrafty Guest

You know I do believe that just like a town/city of Springfield, there is a Table Rock SP in every state in America! [LOL]

17. Albert and Melanie

Albert and Melanie The "pup" Palace

Irishal, you're gonna LOVE Cedar Lake... it's a fabulous place. Well worth the long drive to get there. We reserved a spot at Sequoyah State Park for Spring Break week yesterday. It's pretty up that way too. I'm SO ready to camp!

18. cwolfman13

cwolfman13 Active Member

I have never reserved a camping spot in my life. Granted I am usually boondocking so if the spot I'm hoping for is taken....I just keep cruising up the forest road to another. For me, it's all a part of the "adventure". There are a couple of actual developed CGs that DW and I frequent, and they are all 1st come 1st served....personally, we've only hit a snag once where we were unable to find a spot. It was a CG we are particularly fond of in southern CO and it is pretty small.....and we didn't arive until around noon on a Saturday. Fortunately, plenty of boondocking in that area as well, so it was no sweat off our backs.

We're planning a trip to the Grand Canyon for next year and will probably make reservations for that.....though I've heard there is good boondocking outside of the park in the national forest. We will most likely do the North Rim which should be a bit more mellow as well.

Also, I've found there to be much fewer people camping during the week than on a week-end....I would imagine you would be ok on a Mon-Wed....particularly this early in the season. It's not exactly prime time yet.

19. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

We always make reservations to where we are going. Do not want to take any chances.

20. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

Finally, a kindred spirit! cwolfman13, you are my kind of camper.