1st Time PUP Owner - '72 Starcraft Starmaster 8

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by usonian, Mar 21, 2014.

1. usonian

usonian New Member

Hello from Phoenix everyone, and thank you for indirectly influencing me to purchase my first PUP! [:D]

After lurking on the forums for a little while and building my confidence about caring for a vintage PUP, I finally purchased our family's first, a 1972 Starcraft Starmaster 8!
    [​IMG]

This was a Craigslist find from a second owner who had bought it in 1976. It isn't in perfect condition, but I think it will be a great first PUP that functions well enough for us to get some use out of it initially and become a fun resto project. The owner had just replaced the entire canvas for about $1000, so $1400 for the entire thing didn't seem like too bad of a deal.

[​IMG]
    The camper is almost entirely original (in some good, and some bad ways!) and still has the great 70's burnt orange and yellow interior :) I'm not sure if we'll keep it exactly that way, but it's nice to start with something that has been modified very little. I love the simple, vintage body shape! The frame is in great condition (no major rust), there aren't any soft spots in the floor and it pulls nice and straight.

There are a few things that I'm looking forward to learning how to fix from you all on this forum:
    1. The main lift cable snapped when I tried to raise the roof enough to get the supports out, just after I finalized the purchase. This will need to be the first thing that gets repaired so I can keep working inside.
    2. Some aluminum siding is pulling away and there is some dry-rotted wood, although not a ton (at least from what I can tell initially)
    3. The lift supports are pushing down on the wood in the corners but haven't pushed all the way through
    4. The wiring job is a little funky - most of the interior and exterior wiring (lights primarily) is exposed and running outside of the panels.

For the most part though, this is a good little trailer and is a prime candidate for a (slow) restoration. Thanks again for inspiring me to make the leap and I look forward to contributing as much as possible!

Our 1972 Starcraft Starmaster 8 Gallery

Justin

2. Rodger D.

Rodger D. New Member

Hola Justin

Welcome To The Land of Pop Up's.

1. If you keep it as original in appearance as possible - the unit will have more favorable
    comments and value

2. The lumber and etc is at your local big Building Supply Ware-house ( Lowes and such ).

3. The upper left top of this site is OWER's MANUAL's. Click on it and click again at StarCraft.

3a. There is Owner's Manual's and Brochures. It was the serial number that got changed
    every year and its matching litature - not some much the Pop Up. This means if the information
    on the site is a year ( or two ) off - still look at it.

4. Take note of the vehicles to tow the weight of The Pop Up's.

3. ripleyandrew

ripleyandrew New Member

Welcome to the portal. I bought a new popup last year. It was my first popup but I can honestly say it has nowhere near the character of yours.

4. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

[:D] Welcome from southeast Connecticut. Glad you stopped by PopUp Portal. [CP]

5. GeorgeHahnemann

GeorgeHahnemann Active Member

[8D] Welcome from Wes Central Ohio. [SUN] Happy and Safe Camping. [CP]

6. cook18729

cook18729 Member

We just passed along a 1971 Starcraft Starmaster 8 to some friends of ours last year. It had the original canvas and the body did not look as nice as yours does at this point but we enjoyed the heck out of it for about 2 years after doing some work on it. Ours cost us $300. We got it to see if we were still interested in camping, and guess what? Of course we were!! Not a bad camper to restore as it has plenty of room and the layout is nice. :)

7. pandpcamper

pandpcamper Lifetime camper, newer to pup

Welcome from Northern IL. Looks like a project happening! Have fun. Love the color of the sink.

8. corona

corona Member

Hello from LI,NY

9. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

Welcome from the great Pacific Northwest.

10. cook18729

cook18729 Member

As a followup to my previous post, we added new tires and wheel bearings, did some body work and repaired a few spots in the canvas. We added a converter and 12v lights, a powered roof vent, a small dorm size fridge and a small microwave. That was it and we were off camping! [:D] [CP]

11. novagirl

novagirl retired camper

Welcome from another vintage Starcraft owner in Michigan. I love your original interior. We left ours original too because it was in good shape. Have fun and keep us posted.

Sent from my KFTHWI using Tapatalk HD

12. campermom

campermom Member

Welcome from Florida [:D] I love the vintage colors. Have fun!!!

13. Jayko

Jayko Jayco 141J aka Big Bertha

That's one Groovy camper man.

14. ex-tenters

ex-tenters New Member

Welcome from the NW 'Burbs of Chicago.

WL

15. cztardust

cztardust Active Member

I have the '76 Statmaster 8... Taking it out for the first time after refurbishing it last summer. Yours looks fantastic!!! Anything I can do to help let me know :)

16. vike-king

vike-king My worst camping trip ever, was terriffic!

Welcome from NW Ohio! Gotta love vintage classics!

17. MRFIXIT

MRFIXIT New Member

Welcome from Vail, AZ. Like seeing the older ones being kept up and used :)

18. cannibal

cannibal New Member

The old pups have a charm to them!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

19. ccptbo

ccptbo Well-Known Member

Love the PUP! Looks to be in great condition and well-kept! I think someone else on here has one of those too, but cannot remember who!
    Doesn't look like much you have to do to it, and you can be out enjoying it!
    Have a wonderful camping season and make sure to post some pics of your trips!

Melissa

20. Byrd_Huntr

Byrd_Huntr Well-Known Member

Good find! Have fun with it.