1st timer pup buyers, 2 door Jeep...

Discussion in 'Camper Pre-Purchase Questions' started by NotThePainter, Aug 25, 2019.

Tags:
  1. NotThePainter

NotThePainter New Member

We're a couple approaching retirement age, we are active kayakers and love tent camping. The problem is that it takes forever to load the jeep up and then unload and setup the tent etc.. We don't travel with kids or dogs, just the two of us. However we certainly glamp, our tent is 8 x 16, two rooms, and we love it.

So a PUP seems like the best thing for us. Fall is approaching and the used ones are hitting the market.

The problem is that we drive a 2 door Jeep Wrangler JK and that has a 2,000 towing limit, 200 lb tongue weight. So we are really limited in what we can tow. We also have zero experience towing so we don't want to push the limits.

I had been looking at the Livin' Lite trailers but with them stopping production it seems the supply of used ones will dry up. (Plus we liked the 8.2 model with the small bed and the queen bed, we'd use the small bed for clothing storage.)

A stove, fridge would be nice, but not essential. Especially since we're trying to keep costs low just in case we find we don't like it!

There is a 1998 Coleman Taos nearby that isn't too expensive, well under $2,000 if I remember correctly. I guess those are 1,200 empty so we could tow that.

What other ones should we be looking at? What questions should I be asking? What don't I know?

2. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

. Just a note about dry weight...it does not include the weight of propane, battery, options such as AC or even the awning. Also a thing to note is you really have to look at your jeeps payload vrs the tow rating. In many cases you will be running out of payload before you hit your tow limit.
    You can check out Sylvan sport go trailer. It's not much more than a tent on a trailer, but they are nice and light and can haul gear.

3. NotThePainter

NotThePainter New Member

Payload?

The payload doesn't change when you tow? We're out of luck then. One of the reasons we wanted to tow was that the Jeep has such a horrible payload. We know we exceed it when we go camping and we don't like that one bit. We keep it to 60mph on the highway, even when the speed limit is higher.

I recall seeing the sylvan sports, neat idea, I'll look again.

4. kennedyma

kennedyma Member

Hi and welcome to the forum!!

Two things that helped me when towing with my 4 door were trailer brakes and air bags in the rear springs.

5. Rusty2192

Rusty2192 Well-Known Member

Only the tongue weight of the pup goes against the payloadof the Jeep. As long as you load carefully and balance the load you could carry a lot of extra cargo in the trailer. Just would need to watch the 200 lb tongue weight limit.

1380ken likes this.
  6. Shaman1

Shaman1 Well-Known Member

Despite what brochures say, my '89 Coleman Newport weighs 700 lbs with it's normal camping supplies on the cat scales.