2-3 inches from top, just stops?

TigerTom

Jun 4, 2020
I have a 2003 Coleman Fleetwood Utah that just stops at about ~2-3 inches from the top to fit the door. I measured the distance to be about 40 inches of lift and I've heard it needs to be about 40-43 inches and that would fit the door.

I've done some things too:
a. I adjusted 3 of the 4 pulleys underneath the camper to ensure they are all the same height. Originally, I thought that moving all the pulleys would give me that height but, no difference at all! I measured that all 4 corners lift to the same height within about a 1/4 inch.
b. Cleaned a serious squirrel nest after taking off the wiffletree cover (looks new).
c. I greased the wiffletree with red grease and raised and lowered the roof (with the cover on). This is where I discovered that the 4 cables and harness attached to the wiffletree only traveled about 4/5 of the way to the stop nut at the end. (I can see that it did not travel through the grease at the end.) So, I have plenty of more turns but it just stops!
c. I've inspected all of the pulleys around the camper with it up.
d. The cable tightens and relaxes (barely enough slack to move those pulleys) so the cables don't seem super loose.
e. The wiffletree screw is not bent and the screw is in good condition.

I'm not sure, this camper had been used for years and then about 10 years ago was put away according to the previous owner. Being somewhat mechanically inclined and totally motivated, I thought I could fix the problem, not fitting the door.
So, I'm really puzzled here, only other option I see is doing the dealer adjustment at the wiffletree, but I do not think that I have enough to adjust it.
Tom
2003 Coleman Fleetwood Utah

GreyFox

Super Active Member
Oct 10, 2018
S Ontario
I have a 2003 Coleman Fleetwood Utah that just stops at about ~2-3 inches from the top to fit the door. I measured the distance to be about 40 inches of lift and I've heard it needs to be about 40-43 inches and that would fit the door.

Seems you heard wrong. ;) Download this Fleetwood Lift System Repair Guide and you'll note on Page 48 that Measurement "A" for your '03 Utah should be 46" - 47" - explains why your entry door won't fit. :rolleyes:

jnc

Welcome from New Hampshire
Oct 1, 2014
South Central New Hampshire
This may help a bit. If you look where the cables go into the frame there is an adjustment for when the cables get stretched. And the spreader bar with all the cables should go all the way to the Stop Nut.

TigerTom

Jun 4, 2020
This may help a bit. If you look where the cables go into the frame there is an adjustment for when the cables get stretched. And the spreader bar with all the cables should go all the way to the Stop Nut.
I did that on all 4 and really no difference? I decided to move one of the pulleys in to level it all out to within 1/4 of an inch as that corner was about 1" higher.

TigerTom

Jun 4, 2020
Seems you heard wrong. ;) Download this Fleetwood Lift System Repair Guide and you'll note on Page 48 that Measurement "A" for your '03 Utah should be 46" - 47" - explains why your entry door won't fit. :rolleyes:
Thanks GreyFox, yes checked that, and it goes to almost 43! Check. I still need 2-3 inches and that seems to be about the amount of distance the spreader bar needs to travel to the stop nut. Not sure what is making it stop without taking the whole thing apart!

danny2020

Jul 22, 2020
Minneapolis
I wonder if TigerTom figured this out. I was having the same problem but now the top is stuck in the up position. Pop-up is a Coleman/Fleetwood 2003 Sun Valley. I have an upper drive hub extension kit ordered, the bolt, spring, etc are worn.

When I bought it a few months ago, I noticed the whiffletree cover wasn't fully attached to it's rails - closest to the lower hub/rear frame it was loose. I had to cut the sheet metal to fit, trimmed about 1/8". After that when I ran the whiffletree to raise the roof, it was binding near where the whiffle block meets the lower hub. So 'fixing' a probelm created a new one. I think the whiffletree cover was intentionally left loose on that end *because* it caused binding. Not sure how to correct it. I think the whiffle block strikes the wood and causes the binding in spite of the cover being in place.

Attachments

• IMG_20200809_131520027.jpg
    IMG_20200809_131520027.jpg
    246.5 KB · Views: 5

GeoG100

Aug 12, 2020
Denver, CO
I think my door doesn't fit because the electric winch stops just short. But I am going to rip out the electric and put in a manual crank. I don't trust the electric when in remote areas. The gap in the door also makes the camper roof shift to the door side - increasing the gap. Which also lets heat out. One problem is creating about 4 problems so I hope this really works to replace the winch.