2 different max towing weights?

Discussion in 'Tow Vehicles, Hitch & Towing' started by Gremalkin, Sep 10, 2013.

1. Gremalkin

Gremalkin New Member

My owner's manual for my 2007 Suzuki XL7 has the max towing capacity at 3000 lbs.

However, https://docs.google.com/viewer?url=http://www.trailerlife.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/Trailer-Life-Towing-Guide-2007.pdf states 3500 lbs. The Suzuki forums reference a 3500 lb. limit as well.

Any idea why the difference?

EDIT: Think I figured it out. US is more conservative on ratings, for whatever reason. 3500 lbs. seems to be the towing capacity in other countries.

2. Haybale

Haybale I'd rather be camping!!

Are the references related to a particular towing package or engine or transmission option?

3. steved

steved New Member

As eluded to, max towing has a batch of different factors...gearing, transmission, engine, cooling, etc.

I would trust the owner's manual before internet lore...call your dealer and they should be able to tell you by researching the VIN.

4. br00n0

br00n0 New Member

But if you plan to tow a 1,500 - 2,000lbs pup, you don't even need to ask yourself the question.

And at 2,500 lbs, the choice of popups you have is huge!

A 3,000 or 3,5000 lbs limit, as far as I'm concerned, is not an issue with popups. Unless you plan to go big or you have a big family and lots of stuff to pack.

My 2 cents...

B.

5. Storm Trooper

Storm Trooper Home is where you park it!

Those towing guides by Trailer Life and others frequently have mistakes.
    I have found way too many errors and/or omissions over the years to trust them.
    Go by what your manual says or contact the manufacturer (not the dealer).
    The only towing guides I do trust are those written by the manufacturers themselves.
    IE: Ford, Jeep, Dodge, Chrysler, Nissan Guides found in the First sticky in this section.
    http://www.popupportal.com/index.php?topic=35792.0

6. Gremalkin

Gremalkin New Member

Not sure if the difference was due to different options. Didn't really see different weights in any one source. Don't think there are too many options for the XL7 that year. I'm sticking with the 3000 number.

All this research and work!! It is so much easier to pick a tent and throw it in the back of the car! My air mattress worked great for the back issues. Spouse needs a CPAP to sleep at night, which is what started the camper upgrade decision. Guess we could always tent camp at an electric site with an extension cord. Or get a generator for dry docking and/or dispersed camping. Even a battery setup for the CPAP would work in a tent. But everyone in the family is sold on the camper idea. A popup will be luxury camping! lol

7. JamesRL

JamesRL New Member

You can find many campers that you can tow safely, both new and used. My older barebones Coleman has a 10 foot box, queen size and double beds, and weighs 1250 lbs dry, you could easily tow that, I did with a Mazda MPV rated at 3000 lbs.

If you like tent camping, and don't need bathrooms/showers and all the latest gadgets, you will be fine.

8. Sumoman

Sumoman New Member

On my Land Rover I can tow approx 5500lbs in High but it goes to 7200approx in Low. Which frankly I should have used on some of those inclines going to Yellowstone because I slowed to 35 anyway

9. steved

steved New Member

We looked into the LivinLite QuikSilver "tent" camper, and even the larger unit weighed under 1500#s...one weighed only 800#s, and was fairly decent size. The only issue I had with them was they didn't have the model I wanted in stock, and summer would have been over before we received it.

http://www.livinlite.com/pdf/QS2013Web.pdf