2 hours away from picking up my new F150 ecoboost!

jasf

Oct 3, 2009
jasf said:
A buddy of mine just took his ecoboost from upstate NY to WV & the trip 'puter says 29.5 mpg. Pretty impressive.
Ok no more Saranac before dinner. 25.9 is what that should have said.

turborich

Super Active Member
Jun 22, 2010
Las Vegas, NV.
The ECO Boost is an Awesome engine, Ford really did it right! I have watched all of the videos on it, driven them & think you will really love your new truck. Ford is building the best truck out there IMO. There new line up is awesome.

Dusty82

Super Active Member
Jun 23, 2008
Northern Nevada
We looked at Ford for the same reason as you did, Clueless, when we were looking for a commuter car for DW. She decided on the Focus, and she loves it. The EPA estimate tag said we could expect 35 MPG on the highway and 29 in the city. We've had it since May of 2010, and according to the car's computer, it averages 43 MPG (when she drives it - a tad lower when I drive it.) I can't kick about that at all.

Oh, and yeah...

this_thread_is_worthless_without_pics.gif

Clueless

I use to have a handle on life but it broke.
Apr 6, 2011
Here she is ! Pic's

I finally got a chance last night to snap a few pic's of my new baby. Man... I love this truck. This morning on my way to work I asked it for my horoscope and it promptly gave it to me and then I asked it for a local weather report and it already knew where I was located and gave it to me. I'm liking this SYNC thinga-ma-job. Pretty cool technology. I got a little rambunctious and my average mpg dropped but is slowly climbing back up. Right now it's saying I'm getting 16.6 mpg and all I've had a chance to drive it is all city traffic to and from work. I can't wait to hook my pup up and see how it tows. I'm going to give it some break-in miles before that though.

BTW... I went on my first boondocking camping trip last weekend down to our hunting land for the opening weekend of muzzel loader. It was a great trip but boy it was a chilly in the morning (45 deg) with no heat. I haven't had time to look into it but is there a way to run the furnace off the battery? Or will it run it down too fast?

Here she is!

42849706.jpg

582701a9.jpg

d35da13d.jpg

9643e802.jpg

This is the first time in my life I have ever owned 2 trucks at the same time. I hate to sell my Taco but I need the $$ to put a dent in the payments on my new F150. [:(] Can you tell what color I like? [LOL]

99c8466a.jpg

Clueless

Apr 6, 2011
Thanks Storm. I haven't had time to look in my manual yet but I knew there is a break-in period before towing. I'm sure the newer models are the same as yours. If not I'm sticking with that to be safe. Speaking of which... I couldn't believe it when I learned that these new critters only need oil changes ever 10k miles! Of course that's running syn oil but that is still pretty impressive. On my old Tacoma I had always run Mobil 1 syn and changed it out every 5k miles. I guess I'm a little old school but running 10k between oil changes skeers me a little so I think I'll err on the side of caution and keep it at 5k. lol

Storm Trooper

Home is where you park it!
Feb 14, 2008
Where my camper is parked now.
My 5.4L came with semi-syn and our local Ford dealer has quick lube bays that are actually priced in line with the Quick lube chains.
So, I get the Ford Semi-syn oil and Ford filter for the same price as those quick lube chains down the street.
I tow 90% of the time with my F150 so I change the oil about every 4,000 miles.....
Good luck. Try programming the Sync system with your favorites. Kinda cool to get sports news on your teams, headline news in the sections you want, weather, traffic, stocks, etc., all with one command...

Clueless

Apr 6, 2011
You're right Storm. I added some things to my favorites a couple days ago and it makes it so simple to get just the info you want with little interaction. Pretty cool stuff! Thanks again.

For those of you that wanted an update on the gas mileage here is my latest results. I'm trying very hard to keep my foot out of it but... well.. you know. :)

Hwy driving 70mph I got 23.4 mpg over the weekend
City traffic this morning (32 traffic lights) I got 19.2 mpg (I was a very good boy this morning and drove it like an old man just to see how well it could do. lol)

I just filled up this morning so now I know exactly how much is in it so next time I fill up I'll do my own math to see how it's doing on average.

RotnMom

Am I there yet?
Apr 4, 2011
So Clueless....since I'm not your neighbor OR family, does this put me in line to borrow that bad muther??? [:)O]

[:D]

Bignix13

Mar 23, 2011
LOVE IT!!!!! Looking for a used Ford to tow my popup, my 4 cylinder ranger won't do the job. And having to borrow my buddies truck to tow it it getting pretty old.

Clueless

Apr 6, 2011
MPG Update

Ok folks. Here's my latest results for those of you that asked for updates on the mileage of this ecoboost.

I'm running 87 octane on this latest tank full. From what I understand the mpg could go up considerably if I wasn't a cheap ******* and used 93 oct instead. lol I might fill up with 93 on the next tank just for the hell of it and see if it really makes much difference. I only have about 500 miles on it so it's still breaking in. To be honest I'm more than happy with the mileage it's getting right now but IF it gets a little better as it breaks in I'll be even happier.

Now keep in mind that I'm normally a some what aggressive driver and if I didn't have the "instant mpg" display showing on the screen I would most likely be getting worse mileage. I like this "instant mpg" display because it's helping me be a little more conservative in my driving habits. I hate seeing it drop down to 5mpg when I take off from a stop. [:!] But it's nice to see it spike over 30mpg when I coast. [;)]

A rough description of the terrain being traveled each day consist of 35% moderate hills, a small mountain with a 6% grade for 1.5 miles twice a day and 65% flat areas.
Hwy driving @ 65mph I got 24.3 mpg driving a total of about 50 miles with the cruise control set. (this makes a huge difference)
City traffic (32 traffic lights) I'm getting a solid 18.6 mpg

Not too shabby! But did I mention the POWER that this thing has? [:O] [:D]

Storm Trooper

Home is where you park it!
Feb 14, 2008
Where my camper is parked now.
That is good news and not even broken in. Most are reporting about the same or a little better in the city and highway as well.
That ecoboost gets 4 mpg or better in the city than anyone else's V8.
A number of comments have been made about the poor gas mileage when towing. It seems that is because they do so well non-towing that people expect them to do better towing. When people are towing and using all of that engines 365 hp, gas mileage will drop to the level of the V8's.
If I were towing full time, I might want to go with one of the V8's, but for a vehicle that you may use 10% of the time for towing, look at all the gas you save over the life of the truck.
Keep letting us know how it goes when it's broken in.

Bobby999

Runnin' with the pack!
Jan 24, 2009
That sounds great Dave. I'm jeolous. Remember you can't tow till 1000mi. I think that towing a pup you should get great gas mileage over any TT or Hybred.

Clueless

Apr 6, 2011
Storm Trooper said:
If I were towing full time, I might want to go with one of the V8's, but for a vehicle that you may use 10% of the time for towing, look at all the gas you save over the life of the truck.
Keep letting us know how it goes when it's broken in.

Yup. That's why I went with the ecoboost. 95% of the time I'll be commuting to and from work and I needed the best mpg I could get and yet have a truck that will tow anything I would realistically hook up to it. And in my case it's my little 2,000 lb pup. lol I wouldn't even care if I get 10mpg when towing the 5 or 6 times a year I might hook the pup up. But I can tell already (seat of the pants) this thing won't even down shift towing our little pup out on the open road. I tell my DW it's my "sleeper". lol It doesn't sound powerful and I don't get on it much, but it's nice to know it's there if and when I want it. lol

Thanks Bill - I can't wait to get it broke in and hook our little pup up. I just told Fly in that other thread that It'll be nice to actually see over the top of our pup when we tow it now. lol My Taco was a little vertically challenged you might say. [LOL]

Edit:
I forgot to mention in any of my post that I have the 3.55 limited slip rear end in this truck in case anyone wanted the full scope. From what I understand the 3.15 would have given me better mileage but when towing it would have gone down considerably as it would have to down shift constantly. I could have gone even higher and got a 3.73 rear end but I'm not going to be doing a lot of heavy towing.

Flyfisherman

Super Active Member
Mar 4, 2003
Shallotte, North Carolina
Clueless ~ I'll be watching your posts about the truck. Somewhere down the line I'll have to be replacing the GMC ... and I've driven Fords before! Like you, I was pleased they (Ford) didn't take a dime from the Giverment! Since I've driven pickup trucks for so long now (I don't know how to act riding in a car!), no doubt I'll be keeping on with a pick'em up.

What's the engine specs on that particular F-150 you have(?) Like you, I figure towing was a small percentage of the miles driven. So I'd rather have good mileage with regular driving about and let it drop towing, I'll just factor that it in on a cost of a trip.

Bobby999

Runnin' with the pack!
Jan 24, 2009
Clueless said:
Edit:
I forgot to mention in any of my post that I have the 3.55 limited slip rear end in this truck in case anyone wanted the full scope. From what I understand the 3.15 would have given me better mileage but when towing it would have gone down considerably as it would have to down shift constantly. I could have gone even higher and got a 3.73 rear end but I'm not going to be doing a lot of heavy towing.

I have the same diff as yours 3.55 LS. even though they gave me an off road package? Go figure. So Dave, can I borrow Hal for awhile? I need to change my sig to my new TV, but I'm afraid I'll loose my avitar