2 Issues to fix

Discussion in 'Camper Restoration Projects' started by dhutchings, Jun 20, 2020.

1. dhutchings

dhutchings New Member

Dear fellow campers,

this is my first post and I am as of today the proud owner of a 2006 Palomino Mustang Pop Up Camper.

There are 2 major things bugging me with the camper and I would like advice on how to fix it and if I took it to a professional what would it cost.

1. The Vinyl Floor has a very big tear in it and I would like to replace it without taking out the cupboards. Please see picture attached. How do I do it or do I get it done? What would someone charge me to take out the cupboards and replace it all or can I do it?

2. On the rear of the camper the silver strip is coming off and the back is pealing. How can I fix this? Please see pic.

Thanks and I am looking forward to seeing your suggestions.

If you own a viking and live in Steinbach and we met at Falcon Lake please PM me.

Thanks

David

Attached Files:

2. Jimbow

Jimbow Well-Known Member

Let's tackle the flooring. The easiest fix are peel and stick tiles from either the orange store or the blue store. (Home Depot or Loews.) You may need to tack down some 1/4 round molding at the edges and remove and replace the door threshold. Start in the morning and post a picture at lunch time.

kcsa75 likes this.
  3. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Instead of peal and stick I personally
    would use vinyl plank flooring. just cut around the cabinets. You may need to trim around the crack some if it sticks up so the floor lays flat. I can't help on the back wall.

4. dhutchings

dhutchings New Member

Hello Jimbow,
    thanks for the quick response and I am certainly keen to try it. Do you have any pictures of someone else that has used moulding?
    Thanks
    David

5. dhutchings

dhutchings New Member

Hello jmkay,
    may I ask why and how to I stop it sticking up?
    David

6. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

I would just take a utility knife and trim around the slit to take out the section that is sticking up. As far as the vinyl plank flooring, if you get the floating floor style it doesn't have to be glued down so can ride above your existing floor. In my experience the peal and stick flooring although easy doesn't always do so great in the constant temperature fluctuations a camper can experience especially if it gets really hot in the camper. My summers can see temps in the 100's sometimes with high humidity and in storage that camper can get even hotter. The glue has a tendency to get soft and things can shift.

Sjm9911, neighbormike and kcsa75 like this.
  7. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Well-Known Member

When you push the vinyl cut down, will the edges touch? If so, there is a vinyl seam sealer (used to join vinyl flooring) that will glue the flooring together. Do a little at a time and weight it down to hold flat.

8. Anthony Hitchings

Anthony Hitchings Well-Known Member

if you put new floor over old floor, check that you don't have to trim the bottoms of cabinet doors

9. Jimbow

Jimbow Well-Known Member

Attached Files:

10. tzmartin

tzmartin Well-Known Member

Also nothing is square so your first run needs to establish a straight line otherwise it may look strange when you're done. Maybe make the floor seams parallel to the door threshold.