2 step, step lighting

Discussion in 'Lighting, Interior and Exterior' started by ill.plainsman, Aug 26, 2013.

1. ill.plainsman

ill.plainsman happy, happy

got the bug to put on some lighting on our flagstaff HW27 ks. the steps have a yellow light next to the steps but it is about chest height and just SHINES in your eyes. my solution was to put a couple of 12 inch led strip lights to the bottom of each step. run the wires back under the camper and then come up into the wall right behind the panel under the radio and hook it up to the night lite floor lights in my camper. works great and being led they should not run down my battery to bad. i'm thinking of running a strip around the back of the camper just so I have lights to park it in the dark. these all come with a adhesive strip on the back of each strip of lights. looks like they should stay up pretty well.

2. JAprilson

JAprilson New Member

I have thought of doing the same thing for the exact same reason. I was also going to try and run some lighting underneath the edge of the pup so that when we are sitting outside,we have a little light and not have that amber light lighting up the campground...and add some ambiance to the night. [;)] I don't know how comfortable I am with drilling anything or running wires...i'm not, at all, electrically inclined....AT ALL! I really don't know of any other way of doing it though.

3. Detroit_Iron

Detroit_Iron Active Member

I have a step light mod here somewhere where I used led strip lights, I was going to wire them in but ended up just using a simple 9v battery with a on/off toggle switch, more than bright enough and self contained without messing with the pups wiring in any way....

4. JAprilson

JAprilson New Member

Detroit....do you have pics of the lighting/? Do you think it would work with a 8' or 10' strip like i described in my previous post? Do you remove before traveling or do you leave it at all times?

5. kmh1596

kmh1596 Wilbraham, MA

I did the same, except I also installed them inside.

I like these switch panels the best. They're made for house power, but work perfectly for 12v as well.

[​IMG]

They have 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5 switch setups. I have more on the way to mod our NTU Niagara.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/White-Square-5-Gang-Button-Light-Switch-Unit-Wall-Plate-/390570471189?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5aefd06f15

As for the lights themselves, user "joeflorida" on ebay has great prices, and the lights were still flawless at 2 years running, both inside and outside.
    For outside/step light,
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/12V-5-X-4-LED-PODs-BLACK-CASE-ANY-COLOR-/360642868078?pt=Apparel_Merchandise&var=&hash=item53f7fd736e

Inside, here is a shot of the square pod lights used:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/5-X-3-LED-In-Line-PODs-BLACK-CASE-Color-BLUE-Lowest-Price-AnywhereFree-Shipping-/400415905156?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item5d3aa5d584

[​IMG]

Sorry, I don't have any shots of the outside, but I had the 4 pod lights on both sides underneath, and a separate blue step light right above the step.
    FWIW, I could run ALL of the LEDs I had inside and out, as well as roof LED lighting, and it didn't draw close to what one Incandescent bulb would draw.

6. JAprilson

JAprilson New Member

WOW!!!!! That's what I want!!!! That looks really good!!!!! I'm going to start looking up that now. Momma always said don't ask these types of questions, but, about what did that cost...ball park figure? [:!]

Another thing...I've never done any wiring...at all...ever...so is there a tutorial on how to wire up some lighting and speakers or radios? Is it easy? Could a beginner do it? I can't quit looking at the picture of your camper! That really looks good!

7. kmh1596

kmh1596 Wilbraham, MA

Check the ebay links, but 5 of the square pods were $10 ($2 each), about the same for the round 4 LED pods for underneath. everything from joeflorida is lifetime warranty, but I haven't needed that yet on a single one of them. The switches were ~$5 each. Wire is not expensive, and being LEDs they don't have to be anything very heavy gauge. Cost wise, I'd say under $75 for ALL of the ones I did in my camper. Was just a matter of the time involved installing them. I wanted to do a clean install, so I took extra time to use wire loom above and below the floor, depending on where it was being done.That, and I kept as many connections as possible inside of the camper, for less risk of moisture.

I will look around tonight and see what I have of pictures of the outside ones and/or any additional pictures of how they were connected. I used junction blocks that an electrician friend of mine had. This way I ran a thick gauge 12V+ and - wire to one spot in the cabinet, and then ran small wires from the LEDs to that, daisy chain style.

Good Luck! Email me with any questions, I'm happy to help where I can.

8. JAprilson

JAprilson New Member

I looked up the switches and the lights and that's exactly the kind of lights I've been looking for! I had to google junction box to see what it was and once I saw it, I recognized it. I don't know anything about wiring lights but I think the best way to learn is to do it. Where would I connec the power to? Somewhere in the breaker box? I already have, I think, 2 little amber night lights that I could probably switch out with these LED's and add more to the interior and the outer.

9. kmh1596

kmh1596 Wilbraham, MA

I shouldn't say "junction box" really.. They were "rails" used in a regular home circuit box, but I cut one in half--one to use as a source of power, one to use for ground. Being that it is 12V, I ran a + wire right from the battery, to the junction box.

I will be honest, if you are not handy with or familiar with 12 volt wiring, or wiring in general, it may be a bigger job than you're in for. I have been wiring car radios (12v) since I was ~12, so I understand that it may not be something everyone is familiar with.

10. JAprilson

JAprilson New Member

Man I really want those lights now!!!! I tried looking on YouTube for videos showing someone wiring up interior lights but nothing. Plenty of articles explaining it which goes over my head. I will keep looking. [RTM]

11. speckhunter80

speckhunter80 Well-Known Member

Step lights are nice. I like that Coleman installed them on Baysides [:D]

12. FirePro911

FirePro911 New Member

Love this post! Thanks for the link to JoeFlorida.

I just spent the day researching and buying LED's for the whole pup, inside and out. Was searching for blue LED's to run under the pup as accent lighting and for the steps when I found this thread. I already run blue LED's under my Durango at night as accent lighting and have been wanting to run them on the pup also.

My plan is to wire them inline with the tail light/running light harness to the Durango, that way when I turn on my lights at night, then hit my LED switch for the Durango, the LED's under the camper will also come on. So in essence, when the pup is hooked up, my current LED switch will turn all the LED lights on.

Then I will also wire the pup LED's to a separate switch from the 12v panel so I can turn them on in camp at night once the Durango is unhooked. That way there will be a soft glow under the pup all night.

The 5x4 LED Pods will be dedicated as accent lights and I'll use one of the 5x3 in-line Pods on a separate switch as a dedicated step light.

Already ordered a set of each from JoeFlorida. Also ordered all the T10 red and amber LED's for the running lights and porch light, a set of Bargman LED #07 series tail lights, LED bulbs for all lights inside pup, including shower, a 68 LED Utility light for the front storage compartment, plus a ADCO 22895 Dupont Tyvek Cover and a 3 set PopUp Gizmo covers.

Been real busy here......lol!

13. msbrown253

msbrown253 Mike in CT

I really like the pod lights! I just ordered a set of 5. 2 will go inside, one by the steps as "night lights", so if someone needs to get up, there will be just enough light to see, without waking everyone else up. Maybe the other 2 in some of the darker storage spaces?? Hmmm......

14. Kawartha-Camper

Kawartha-Camper New Member

I run solar strip lights under the pup and solar lanterns around the awning, also running another solar strip inside , there's two tiny solar panels we stake in the ground outside the camper, works great !

15. ill.plainsman

FIREPRO, how did that work out. with the strip lights under your Durango. I see you are just using them for accent lighting but I am going to put a 16.4 foot strip of LED's under the back of my pop up so that when I get to a camp site at dark I can see tables and power boxes. I was wondering if you can see much with your blue ones. should I angel them or let them aim down or out to the sides. I'm hoping to see things in the dark up to 3 or 5 feet away from the camper. I have asked on this site and other blogs but know one knows for sure. this is an expensive set of lights to glue on and then have to tear them off cause they didn't shine out enough. I'm trying to make them invisible from the truck but have plenty of light on the ground. any help would be helpful. [8D] [8D] [RTM]
    I'm going to hook them up to the nightlight sw in the pup. or maybe to a dimmer sw close to it so I can dim them and run them all night if I want, for affect once I'm camped. they will only run off the trailer battery 12v power.

16. FirePro911

FirePro911 New Member

They glow all around the Durango, but not enough to see things away from it. The ones on the Durango are flexible strip LEDs. They are about two foot long each and are under the doors on both sides.

I can take a pic tonight of them turned on for you.

17. ill.plainsman

that would be cool. these are 5050 led flexable strip lights. supposed to be as bright as can be. where I am going to mount them is right on the frame. it is powder coated and I just need to wipe the film off the coating and I can point them down or point them out. to angel down I will have to make something to put the angel to it. they have a sticky back adhesive by 3M that is supposed to really hold. [PU] [PUT]

18. FirePro911

FirePro911 New Member

Here they are, sorry for the ugly pics though. lol!

I have regular LEDs under it. Have had them on there for about 3 years now. I see that I have some burnt out bulbs now and will them out to a new set. Maybe put the 3 Inline led pods under there from JoeFlorida when they come in. I ordered 5 on the 3 inline led pods and will only use one as a step light. So I can mount the other 4 under the Durango to see how they look. It sits up so high that the angled lights on them should spread the light out real good. I'll compare the 3 Inline with the 4 led pod ones to see which would look better under there. At that price, I was going to buy more anyway.

Heck, he even has boat LED kits at great pricing. Plus LED's for an aquarium. I have blue LED Christmas lights on my saltwater reef tank as moonlights, I can change them out to one of his sets. With blue LED lights at night, the fish still sleep, and you can see all the weird night critters that come out on the reef.

I'll put one under each door and space them apart enough so the angled leds do not overlap to much if at all. They should be in this week and I'll put up some more pics then of them. I use these light for night driving just for accents. I also have some blue ones mounted under the dash that glow onto the floorboards at night while driving.

[​IMG]

As you can see, these do not provide enough light to shine out anywhere except under the Durango.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. ill.plainsman

Firepro , thanks for the pics. looks like you mounted them right next to the floor pan on the very outside? and like you said they are blue. so I would not expect them to shine out. thanks i'll have to get my son over here some dark night and have him help me hold them in place and turn them on. guess that will be the only way I can make sure they shine out. thanks again. ps don't tell my son or he will insist on doing his Durango with lights like yours.

20. FirePro911

FirePro911 New Member

Here are the JoeFlorida LED's. The first pic is the inline ones with the 3 LED's, 2 of them being angled. The second pic is the Pods that have 4 LED's clustered together.

I'm now sure if they are what I want as they seem to focus the light like a flashlight and not spread it out like the ones in the above pics of the Durango. I'll have to play around with them to see if I can diffuse the light and spread it out more for a glow and not a spot.

I'm holding each one off the floor at about the same height that they would be at on the pup.

My intentions were to use one of these to light up the step area and then the other four to replace the ones on the Durango.
    [​IMG]

These I want to use on each corner of the pup to light up under it.
    [​IMG]