2 way radios should you have them

Discussion in 'Campsite Electronics' started by Taxus812, Jun 12, 2010.

1. Taxus812

Taxus812 New Member

So are those 2mi walkie talkies really worth having in your camping gear?

2. JayAmyJamy

JayAmyJamy New Member

We are going to try them out next camping trip. I figure they might come in handy.

We didn't buy them specially for the trip though. We used to use them around town when we went places. You know, you go your way and I'll go mine at the mall or something. This was before unlimited mobile-to-mobile.

3. suprz

suprz may you never doubt yourself....

I have a pair, we usually use them when i am backing the PUP into a camping site. We havent used them for anything else though. I think they are worth having if you have kids you want to keep track of

4. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

I would agree about the kids point. If you are in one place and they are in another it would be useful in areas with no cell service. Otherwise I don't see much need for them.

5. sg1215

sg1215 my God, my Country, my Family, my Friends, myself

I have a set of radios and like them. I usually go camping and fishing with 1 or 2 other guys. When fishing a stream or lake, 1 guy goes one way the other guy goes the other.
    It's nice to keep in touch for whatever reason.

6. Sundodger

Sundodger New Member

They are also good for communicating between two vehicles. Even though we don't always take two when we do it's easier than fumbling with a cell phone. Also handy with the kids running around and if you find a hot hole fishing you can share it with them. I get a bigger kick out of them catching fish than myself, I've caught plenty over the years, it's their turn. :)

7. Albert and Melanie

Albert and Melanie The "pup" Palace

Yep... I don't much like em, but Albert insists we use them when we have to take two vehicles.

8. Flyfisherman

Flyfisherman New Member

I've had a set of the Motorola Talkabouts for quite some time now and have used them quite a bit. Not only for keeping in touch for two vehicles traveling but more importantly for our fishing. You get split up and wading those mountain slippery rocked streams you could get into serious trouble with a hard fall. Good to keep in contact with one another when your out of sight.

9. Matt O

Matt O Strangers are friends who have not yet met

I have a pair that my Dad and I used while at flea markets. How much for the hood ornament, what size tires are on the van, etc. For some reason, maybe 'cause there was a million people trying to use cell phones, the cell phones didn't get good signals during the day. Of course everyone had the walkie talkies as well and you heard all of the chatter, but it worked.

I haven't taken them camping but we took them to Disney a few years ago. It was funny, my Dad and I know how to use them. For some reason he and I went somewhere and I threw the other one to my DW. I was talking to her but she only hit the "call" button that rang the other one. After she did that a few times I was telling her "the button on the side, press and hold while you talk, then release it". [LOL]

10. FC

FC Central Florida

Yep use them all the time camping. I take the kayak out fishing at sun rise and the wife calles me on the radio when breakfast is ready. [:D]

11. nhcaveman

nhcaveman Barrington, NH

We replaced our two phones in December and switched to Verizon, in order to get the tough, durable phone I wanted, (I'm kind of hard on the phone, dropping it etc.) and get them for free, we had to take Push to Talk (PTT) for 6 months. We do use it, but not a whole lot, and don't know anybody else with Verizon PTT, my son uses the Nextel Sprint/Boost network Direct Connect, it too bad this feature doesn't work with other networks, I'd like it a lot better. I'm keeping it right now to see if we'll use it camping, last year we had T Mobile, and it didn't always get good signal in the CG's we camped at. The Verizon phone, and the PTT feature are like two separate systems, sometimes the 1X (phone) has full bars, and the 3G (PTT) has less, and sometimes it's the other way around, so we'll see if we use it more, if not I'll probably just get rid of it and save the ten bucks a month. If you use them I guess it's worth the extra and you wouldn't need the extra gear of 2 ways, and the range is not limited to the two miles.

12. mdbaird76

mdbaird76 New Member

I use them with my dad at our hunting camp due to no cell signal for 10 miles from where we hunt up near the Allegheny National Forest in Forest County PA. They work great. We are going to the Shenandoah National Park for the 4th of July week, and we will be using them there.

13. You-And-I

You-And-I Ozarks Ɯberland Basecamp

We have a set of FM 2-Way Radio's, we use them quit a bit when camping, events/festivals and talking between vehicles traveling. When we would go camping/festival our daughters and there friends wanted to go off on their own, its an excellent way to keep in touch with them. When your kids get to a certain age, they don't want to walk with mom and dad ... "HOW EMBARASSING IS THAT" [:I] [:I]

14. Taxus812

Taxus812 New Member

Didn't even think of the no-signal scenario. I have two kids so getting ahold of them mis important.

Guess we will have to buy some to have on hand.

Pluss we have six flags season tickets :). I didn't think about using them there

15. fergusonman

fergusonman Member

We have a pair of Motorola with a ten mile range and when the grandkids was younger we used them when they went swimming and they worked real good..The only thing that was wrong was they did not reach out ten miles..about 4 miles was the range, still good for cheap radios....What i was getting ready to say was yes they are a good thing to have.

16. wantingapup

wantingapup New Member

they are great for out in the kayak and you want to draw the other persons attention to something without yelling.
    We also use them when we go skiing with a couple of other families. We all set to the same frequency and the rule is each group of kids when they split off from each other must have a radio with them. This ensures that at least they can contact someone and still stay buddied up.

17. FSHNFOOL76

FSHNFOOL76 New Member

I think they are handy. We've used them car to car, at campgrounds to keep in contact with the kids (even tho they don't always appreciate that) and places like Disney.

18. Flyfisherman

Flyfisherman New Member

The Motorola set I have is an earlier model, have had them for some time now (Talkabout 101), don't remember what they said the range was for them but they never lived up to that. About the best they will do is about two miles ... they start to break-up after that and by three miles, nothing. And that's never changed, they still work as good today as they did when brand new. However, we never fish or hike over two miles from the campsite or truck, anyway, so they are just perfect. And like already posted, many places I go in the mountains there simply is no cel phone reception.

19. TX_F2

TX_F2 New Member

We have a set of 4 of them (1 for everyone) and they stay packed in the PUP. We normally will use the cell phones to keep in contact with the kids, but as somebody already said, the cell signals sometimes are weak or even non existent so it's a nice back up to keep in touch.

20. Bullfrog Bheer

Bullfrog Bheer Active Member

We will take them when we go to a CG that we don't know. At least that way when the kids take off on their bikes, we'll have some communication.