2 way radios

Discussion in 'Campsite Electronics' started by msbrown253, May 28, 2014.

1. Kutseena

Kutseena Running with the wolves

I have a couple Motorola's that work well. We also have CB in the vehicles that is great when cell phones don't work.

2. Strut

Strut Member

I have a pair of Cobra CXT 545 that I picked up at Walmart on clearance for around $30. 28 mile, water resistant, NOAA Weather, and in a nice and compact package.

I really like the USB charger that comes with these, I've used it as a AA battery charger on several occasions.

As has been said before, most of the radios in the same class will have the same performance. Definitely go with a radio that can use standard batteries, the proprietary ones always seem to go kaput when you really need them.

[​IMG]
    https://www.cobra.com/products/max-performance/cxt-545

3. davido

davido Active Member

I'll resurrect the old thread...

I have three Motorola MR350R radios. I've found them to be occasionally useful as 2-way radios, and often useful for weather updates.

For 2-way, often it's to help communicate to a late-comer where we've managed to set up camp. In some cases, that's been me. For example, I meet up with two other people nearly every year to camp in Tuolumne Meadows, Yosemite. Each of us comes from a different state to get there. We arrive within a couple of hours of each other. Cell phone coverage is spotty in Tuolumne Meadows. So it's very useful to be able to call on the 2-way to ask which campsite we've gotten this year.

There are other times that two-way comes in handy, but not as often as one would think.

But being able to get the weather report any time we want... that's very useful. Sure, I could get a cheap weather radio for that purpose. But the Motorolas have it built in, and I do use the 2-way feature once in a blue moon.

So do I recommend 2-way radios? Sure, for the occasional 2-way communications, as well as for the highly useful weather radio. Just make sure that whatever model you get *does* have the weather feature.

I like the MR350 because its range seems great. However, it is capable of chewing threw batteries pretty quickly if people forgetfully use the high-power PTT button instead of the low power button when high power is unnecessary. I suppose most of them will be that way. I prefer using the highest capacity NiMH rechargeable batteries I can find rather than the rather meager-capacity rechargeable pack that comes with the radios. That does make a considerable difference in battery life. The supplied pack is something like 700mAH, and it's not too hard to find NiMH batteries in the 1800mAH range, or better.

Here's a link to Motorola's product info for the radios I have:

http://www.motorolasolutions.com/US-EN/Business+Product+and+Services/Two-way+Radios/Consumer+Two-way+Radios/MR350R_Talkabout_Two-Way-Radio_US-EN