20# vs 30# vs 40#?

Discussion in 'Heating / Cooling Systems' started by ill.plainsman, Sep 20, 2014.

1. ill.plainsman

ill.plainsman happy, happy

just wondering :smile_question1: who here has changed over to bigger LP tanks? I already have a couple of 20# propane tanks on the front of my Flagstaff. auto transferring set up is nice for a weekend incase I run low on saturday night but for running weeks at a time in cool to cold climates has anyone adapted to bigger tanks.how long do they last you under what conditions, at what temperature inside. are the outside temps. consistent or do they vary a lot. any help would be appreciated. [2C] all opinions gratefully accepted. [2C]

2. swordfish

swordfish Well-Known Member

It's a matter of whether you have the space on your A-frame to accommodate a larger tank. 20 lb tank seems just right. A larger tank also needs a different fastening hardware. I can only have one 20 lb and one 10 lb without being in the way of the swing tongue jack.

3. BelchFire

BelchFire I speak fluent vise-grip

I think the main difference between you and me is 1) I don't have a heater and 2) we don't camp weeks at a time. But I've actually considered changing from a 20# tank to a 10# or even a 5# tank. We're weekend campers, so 20# lasts us all season. When my grill dies, I get a refill and put it on the p'up, then use the partial one on the grill. I've never run out at a campground.

I agree with swordfish; if you have room and an excess of tongue weight capacity, then it's only a matter of making the change to the mounting hardware and maybe extending the pigtail(s). Two 30# tanks would give you 150% of your current volume and you'd be doing yourself a favor not to carry more than you need if 60# would be enough. Personally, 40# tanks seem awfully big for a p'up.

4. generok

generok Well-Known Member

I have dual 20# tanks. I've run the furnace set at 65F when it was 25 degrees out. It eventually roasted us out, and ran for long runs, but it burned about 2/3 of a tank per night. During the day, we normally don't run the furnace. The amount of LP we use for the fridge and cooking is trivial compared to the furnace demand.

If I did more cold season camping, I'd opt for bigger tanks. But, when the temps drop, so does our fishing demand, so we simply have no need to use the PUP. I almost considered using the PUP for Moose Camp... maybe next year. Then I would have needed to really crank down the heat to make the dual tanks last 6-7 nights, and use the TV to top off the battery once or twice.

5. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

When we're cool weather camping we keep the heat set at about 55 or 60 degrees, overnight, and turn it up just a little as we get up. We just 'converted' from tent camping this season so we're used to cool nights while camping, but it is nice to have the edge taken off of the cold.

As for "how long will the bigger one last"... a pound of LP is a pound of LP. So a 40# tank should last you about the same as 2 20#'s do now.

6. HiFiDave

HiFiDave Singin round the campfire

Besides the two 20 lb tanks on the tongue, we carry a 40 pound tank in the truck for the fire pit or "back up".

7. ill.plainsman

thanks guys. here is the deal, I'm retiring in November so from now on I'll be able to do a lot more camping. we to camped only weekends and not much more. no weekday camping and no long trips cause of the job i had. carpenters only get a little time around christmas and labor day. the rest of the year I'm building homes or apartments. well not any more. the DW and I are going camping. we have a 2005 F250 with overload bags under it and a 2013 High Wall Flagstaff. it's really a nice set up. but we have only camped at electric provided parks. I want to get back to some nice off grid camping spots. electrically speaking I have 2 group 27 batteries on the tongue and i thought i would get a solar panel and have unlimited [almost] electric. at least 12volt. water I would get a couple more collapsable 6 gallon containers but heating and cooking i'll need gas. rear hitch weight I think I'm good, I don't drive like a nut case. so if you have taken to boondocking or just like a warm camper have you done anything? I would like to stay out a couple weeks if possible. I'm already changing out my lights to LED's thanks. again, just trying to see how long to expect on different set ups.

8. Heartman_wa

Heartman_wa Active Member

We regularly go for two weeks at a time even here were you need a heater even in August. 2 20# last us the whole time and we BBQ, use an oven, water heater/shower it's the battery that goes first. We have change the heater thermostat out for a programmable digital one and that helped.

9. ill.plainsman

so you put a new thermostat in and you can get 2 weeks out of 2- 20's. amazing. I'll see about that. do you let it get in there or is there some reason a digital does better.

10. Heartman_wa

Heartman_wa Active Member

You can program the digital for time as well as temp so it doesn't run or goes to a lower temp during sleep time 68 evening and 58 from 10:00 to 05:00 then back to 68 till 09:00 then off or how ever you want it. It also runs a much shorter time and no more big fluxes in temp.

11. ill.plainsman

[8D] cool. i figured [;)] that but i just wanted to make sure i was thinking [2C] like other people.

12. Jayko

Jayko Jayco 141J aka Big Bertha

[{}=]We have been camping into the 30' We have run the furnace, hot water heater and stove ( meal prep) all day. Heat set to 65, hot water set on high. In those conditions, we got about a day and a half off a 20 pound tank.

We have now added an electric space heater, and heated mattress pads, utilizing the electric we typically pay for. The furnace is set to come on, should the space heater not be able to keep the space at a comfortable temp. This gets a full weekend (plus) out of a 20 pound tank.

Additional consideration of increasing tank size would be the amount of weight you will be adding to the tongue.

We have considered adding larger tanks, but typically one can find a propane vendor near by. Being somewhat of a tight wad, and tired of constantly upgrading things in and for my pup; considering how much larger tanks cost, it's easier to take off the 20 pounder, haul it to town, and refill it.

13. ill.plainsman

thanks Jayko, i was wondering how long other people get on a 20# bottle. so your getting a 2 day weekend. thats what i thought i might get though i haven't tried it really . we have been out only a couple times and i wasn't sure how long it should last. we like it warm so were concerned how long it would last. we are hoping to be on the road for some time and i didn't want to be changing out the tanks every day. i always carry a 20# spare. it's in the back of the truck.