2000 Coleman Fleetwood Bayside Elite Tour Reno!!!

Discussion in 'Camper Restoration Projects' started by ryguyFam, Apr 23, 2018.

1. ryguyFam

ryguyFam Member

Hey everyone!

Well, I was lucky enough to be given a PUP from my parents, and it needed some work. We began the process a couple weeks ago, and have been working on it on weekends and in free time. Lots to be done, but most of the demo is complete. Pretty decent condition, given its age but certainly needs some work. Canvas is in decent shape, few holes need patching. The front box is in need of a redo but that may be next year, depending on what y'all's think. Here are some pics!

2. ryguyFam

ryguyFam Member

IMG_0315.jpg IMG_0314.jpg IMG_0313.jpg IMG_0312.jpg IMG_0311.jpg IMG_0310.jpg IMG_0309.jpg IMG_0308.jpg IMG_0307.jpg IMG_0306.jpg

3. kmbarreiros

kmbarreiros Member

Wow nice job, it is nice to see what some good weather can do to lift morale and get stuff done. Also demo is so much fun and satisifying
    To answer your question about the wall between the box and the cabin mine was so soft and rotted that it basically fell apart. The bolts on the side brackets were so rusted that every one broke off. Since I knew I was redoing it with out the box and no access doors I just ripped it out. And at this point the box was already removed.

Here is southern mass the weather has finally turned and the rest of the week and next week will be nice also. I didn't work on the popup but I got a bunch of other odd and ends done. I had a friends quad taking up a bunch of space in my shed that needs to go. So my dad helped me get it out and to the garage got it back up and running and back together for him to take. Now with that out of the shed I can start working on getting my lawn tractor out and then getting all the canvas and cushions out of the shed. I need to first wash all the canvas then my mother in law will start working on them. I will post pictures of those. I don't think I will be touching the actual popup for a about a month. Me and my dad are in the middle of redoing a a small utility trailer and need to get that finished also.

ryguyFam likes this.
  4. kmbarreiros

kmbarreiros Member

For the tongue jack I would say anything you find that is bolt on and the swings up should be fine. Check Harbor Freight too.

ryguyFam likes this.
  5. RVAcampcouple

RVAcampcouple New Member

Happy I found these two threads, just purchased a NTU 2001 Bayside with similar issues. Everything is fine functionally, but there's some noticable water damage in the front box area and quite a few cracks to the plastic on the box itself (I believe the previous owner jack knifed it when backing up.

Planning on just using and enjoying it for the season, then hoping to replace the rotted wood, and update the flooring/cabinets/countertops after the season ends. Unfortunately, my truck will have to be evicted from the garage for the winter until I finish, but I don't want to tear the PuP apart when I could be using it.

I will be following closely!

ryguyFam and jnc like this.
  6. Mamie

Mamie Active Member

That's a good plan.

ryguyFam likes this.
  7. mamba42

mamba42 Member

Nice job so far. Excited to see how you rebuild it.

ryguyFam likes this.
  8. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

I know you mite not want to hear this but I truly believe you can save yourself some time & energy by fixing the storage box while you have the interior open.

ryguyFam likes this.
  9. ryguyFam

ryguyFam Member

Yeah it prolly makes the most sense to redo it now. Sigh.

Plan is to take the slide all the way out, finish getting the last of the old floor out, along with the pump. Will have to patch the holes that the water and propane and such left. Have a lil repair to do to the slide, pulled the aluminum channel off the top of the wall a lil when pulling the wall board off there. Should have just left the wall, would only have had to patch the hole where the shower was. You know how it is when you get on a roll

I do have a question, how do you get the door threshold free. Mine must be glued really well...

After that it’s flooring time. We picked up a couple boxes of the relatively cheap vinyl wood look stick and peel tiles in darkish grey. Excited to get that down and see it finally start to come together. After the flooring, the walls need to be done, and I had a mind to do no cabinetry until later on in the season as we want to have it usable for Memorial Day weekend.

Still trying to figure out what I want to do about electric. I have the power source, functions. This PUP will be electric only if anything, almost debating attempting to pull everything but the actual trailer lights, but that seems drastic. Just not excited to figure out how to do the walls in a way that I can wire in a few outlet boxes but leave extra I guess to move stuff if/when I do cabinets? Honestly not even sure how I will actually do the walls. Found this plastic 4x8 board that seemed a good idea but was expensive. Brown hardboard was cheap but will fail like a sponge I feel like. Probably going to end up shoring up the walls with some new studs and do the semi-perm outlets there. Lots of room in there with nothing! Eventually we want to rebuild the dinette, some cabinets, etc. one thing at a time lol.

So I think that about covers the hopes and dreams, the aspirations. Few things on the docket to finish up before I make a final call on the front box. Might be budget more than anything, although the wife is really into this project (score!) so we will see. Appreciate all feedback, new ideas, and goofiness. I will do my best to keep this thread updated whenever possible, and I look forward to sharing experience and ideas soon!!

jnc likes this.
  10. ryguyFam

ryguyFam Member

Man what a rambling post (previous)...reads a little rough lol. Was posting on my phone while enjoying the heat out on the porch yesterday, always a lil more difficult to edit when on the mobile.

I also need to do a repair in that exposed wheel well. Hopefully the other side under the dinette is fine, will know soon.

OH! And the brakes! No clue about them. There ARE some under there it looks like, but seems like they are not connected. How big a deal is that? Worth repairing or replacing? I don't think my parents ever towed it with the brakes working. I borrowed it a few times and never had them. Not the greatest since I presume they are there for good reason, but not sure how critical they are, nor how much it would be to fix. Throw another project in the pile!

Last edited: May 1, 2018
  11. ryguyFam

ryguyFam Member

Here is a list of planned purchases so far linked to respective sellers (including the flooring we have already bought):

1000lb swing away bolt-mount tongue jack
    wheel levelers
    wheel chocks
    100ft 1/4in bungee (big enough?)
    4 bungee hooks
    2 tent support tips
    2 stabilizer jacks
    2 boxes flooring

That's enough right there to keep me busy, but that doesn't even include the rest of the reno lol:

-pull dinette and finish pulling up old floor (anyone need the water pump? mint cond.)
    -repair wheel well
    -patch service holes
    -repair dinette
    -get threshold out without damage (!)
    -put down flooring
    -shore up walls/add studs for paneling/electrical
    -electrical?
    -install walls
    -remove/rebuild front box?
    -repair brakes?
    -need new bag for awning, awning itself is in good shape, but the bag is closed with carabiners [LOL]

Last demo day (from pics), I pulled all the water system including tank, and most all of the propane. I did leave one run from the very front to where an outside stove goes next to the door, which I can hopefully utilize. Will have to find a stove! Also, the wife is planning the color scheme, so will be doing the cushions for the dinette at least, and the curtains and valences. Not sure if we will build in another bench, but again that will be down the road if at all. Kinda thinking we would use removable storage bins like the plastic closet organizers before actually building in cabinetry. I don't hate the idea of having solar panels and more batteries but that is a long ways off. I do need to keep that in mind as I build though, especially the walls and electrical.

I think that about covers all the plans so far. In a more readable format. Yeah. Thoughts? Suggestions?

12. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

X 2 easier to repair now than wait . (my opinion from past experience)

ryguyFam likes this.
  13. ryguyFam

ryguyFam Member

Yeah definitely, just read through a couple detailed posts on the repair process. Pretty discouraged lol. I think I could do it but not in time to do some camping in a few weeks. Wayy too much work, and gotta keep that work/life/family balance in check. I think I may do the same as Stang65fst and do just diamond plate or something similar, maybe even just cap it off. Sucks though, I think I would rather fix the front box back to original, but it just seems like too much...ugh! It'd be cool to cap the front off and then build a separate storage box in front, potentially even reusing the ABS. Seal the camper box off from the storage...

14. Libbybeans06

Libbybeans06 New Member

Not sure how this forum works yet... just joined today! We have a 99 coleman Bayside and the front box was almost rotted completely off. (just bought it and didn't realize it was SUCH a PROJECT!) Interested in how you're fixing the storage box... our is a disaster and is currently sitting on our front curb waiting for the garbage man :(

Attached Files:

ryguyFam likes this.
  15. Stang65fst

Stang65fst Member

RYGuyfam can you get some pictures of the slide out mechanism for me. Just curious...this will probably happen in the future of my popup. Want to see how it is all put together.

Also if you want to see storage box items and how they are put together check my thread out http://popupportal.com/threads/t-train-coleman-utah.116036/

Now that I read the entire thread you have already seen what I did.

The future plan for me is to extend the front frame by 2 feet and add a "basket" so that my storage space is versatile to what I am hauling be it storage totes with camping gear or our dirt bikes. Which might mean an axle swap as well.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2018
    ryguyFam likes this.
  16. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

Here is a link to a very detailed box build. http://www.popupportal.com/threads/front-storage-box-repair.90016/

ryguyFam likes this.
  17. ryguyFam

ryguyFam Member

Thanks for the feedback everyone!

@Libbybeans06 - stick around and you will see plenty of great info referenced by other members, as well as whatever I end up doing. Check out the threads linked in the previous posts!

@Stang65fst - yeah I will grab some pics of the slide as I pull it out, should be by the end of the weekend. Anything in particular you'd like to see? I really like how your diamond plate front came out. I am leaning towards something similar for mine, thinkin about some sort of white plastic instead to help match...appreciate you sharing everything!

@jnc - that is the exact thread I was talking about when I said I was discouraged lol. I would love to do that exact repair/rebuild, but just won't have the time prior to campin' time I feel. Hopefully I can cap it off at all in time. I harbor some desire to keep the plastics from the box and either modify or rebuild the box later in the season or over the winter. All depends on how my current build goes and how much I miss the storage. I honestly think I might not miss it since the inside will also remain so empty to begin with (building cabinets and such later in the season - again if at all, see how it goes).

18. Stang65fst

Stang65fst Member

Nothing in particular, just curious how it all is put together and works. So when the day comes to rip mine apart I have some clue.

Thank you, I thought about making a mold and laying a preimpregnated carbor fiber but my wife thought that might be overboard, my buddy however was all in. My wife should know I go overboard on most things. I have not told her about the toyhauler conversion next.

ryguyFam likes this.
  19. ryguyFam

ryguyFam Member

Sure, will document the process well as I can. It seems pretty straight forward, there is a stop made of angle iron or whatever that is bolted towards the interior of the camper box on the dinette that hits a couple aluminum braces, and it looks like you just have to remove that in order to pull the dinette all the way out. There are four bolts (the four on the inside in a line) on the dinette floor that you have to remove to take it out, then I think you just pull it out all the way off the tracks. Will be doing that tomorrow or maybe even later tonight.

I think I am going to then pull the front box off and redo that front wall. I am still torn I guess since I could potentially redo just that bulkhead between box and camper, but I will probably just take the whole thing off. Yeah.

20. Stang65fst

Stang65fst Member

As you will see I also redid the front way with marine grade plywood and then stained it and poly.

ryguyFam likes this.