2000 Coleman Fleetwood Bayside Elite Tour Reno!!!

Discussion in 'Camper Restoration Projects' started by ryguyFam, Apr 23, 2018.

1. Stang65fst

Stang65fst Member

Nice progress! Thanks for close up of slide system.

ryguyFam likes this.
  2. Whoodatguy

Whoodatguy New Member

This is incredible! Im glad I came across this thread! Keep up the great work and I look forward to seeing your end result!

3. ryguyFam

ryguyFam Member

Thanks all!!

I haven't made much additional progress since the last post, I got wrapped up in other projects and plans. No camping on the immediate horizon (other vacations planned) so there hasn't been a pressing need. Essentially still trying to complete the electrical before putting the walls up, but after that she's ready for use! Not complete, but ready to use anyway. Still have a couple minor issues to address as well, such as the small crack in the wheel well and the bumper fiasco. Have a few more holes to patch in the canvas as well.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  4. kmbarreiros

kmbarreiros Member

Same here, my camper has been sitting now for about 4 or 5 weeks and have done nothing. Really anxious to get working on it again. Its been one thing after another and this stupid weather isn't helping. Hopefully next week I will get working on mine again.

ryguyFam and Sjm9911 like this.
  5. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Eek, I have a trip planned in 3 weeks, and I am not close to finished. I will get it operational, but not what I planned.

ryguyFam likes this.
  6. ryguyFam

ryguyFam Member

That's always how these things roll isn't it?

I finally have a trip planned so have some motivation to finish it in my free time (ha funny). Currently trying to find some plain old white plastic panel to mount over the power inlet port so I can install the new receptacle, then need to wire that into the transformer that also needs to be built into a small cabinet. Once that is complete I can finally put walls up, and then it is done enough to at least use. Will keep y'all's posted.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  7. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

One question: what is the reason for keeping flimsy plastic wheel well? One ripped thread would complete demolish the wheel well. You can put wood over the existing wheel well if you want to.

ryguyFam likes this.
  8. GrueMaster

GrueMaster Active Member

I designed one to match the existing hole up to the new receptacle so I don't need to create any new holes. Find a 3D printer and print it. I printed mine solid and it is very rigid. I then painted it with Krylon (green to match my canvas). Will post photos when I can.

ryguyFam likes this.
  9. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

I have the panel that came off the front storage box where the water heater door was if that will help. After the end of September I will also have a Bumper I could sell you.

ryguyFam likes this.
  10. ryguyFam

ryguyFam Member

Halford - keeping the wheel well for now, hadn't considered making new ones since only one of them is a little cracked. The well is exposed on the inside as well, so easy to access. I will probably eventually replace the plastic with something new, but until then it is too low on the project totem to worry about much. Duct tape. :)

GrueMaster - brilliant idea, I didn't even think of that. I am very interested in the idea, but have no access to a printer that I know of. And I have no clue how to use OpenSCAD or anything, but am a software engineer so I could probably figure it out. Problem is, can't figure it out before this trip likely so kinda in a pickle. I wasn't going to make new holes in the camper, was going to just affix some abs or whatever I could find to the camper wall, and cut a hole in that to put the new receptacle in, which I suppose I could do temporarily with a thin bit of wood or something, so I can continue along until I can figure out the 3D print thing. I would LOVE to have a reason to convince the wife we need a 3D printer!! Wheels are turning now!!

jnc - thank you so much for the offer, and it is especially helpful that we are both in NH! I will probably take you up on the bumper, not sure about the panel though. I might go the other way described above, until I can custom print a solution. Maybe if I could get the panel as the temp solution...hmmm...

11. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Is it the outside net port? A peace of aluminum flashing in white should work?

ryguyFam likes this.
  12. jnc

I'll be parting out a lot of the Niagara so let me know if you want any other parts.

ryguyFam likes this.
  13. GrueMaster

GrueMaster Active Member

Since you are on the other side of the country, when you get your 3D printer, you can tell the wife it was my fault. :p
    Mine is still miffed that I have 2. Not sure what she will do when my 3rd arrives next week.

ryguyFam and jnc like this.
  14. ohiopopup

ohiopopup New Member

I am getting ready to start a project on a Niagara, do you have parts still? not sure what I am going to need in total yet, getting ready to open this thing up for the first time in 6 years. I do know the front box needs completely redone but who know what else.

15. jnc

I'm still camping in it so ya I have a complete Niagara except the proper axle. Its does show it's age with bumps & bruises.. I am using some of the parts on a custom build but let me know what your looking for and I will let see what I can do.

16. kmbarreiros

kmbarreiros Member

rcguyFam, any update did you get to actually use it?

17. ryguyFam

ryguyFam Member

Hey everyone!

Wow, been a while! So yes kmbarreiros, I did end up getting to use it. I got the wiring completed, used beadboard for the walls, got the outlets in, etc. It is bare in there, and the front box is open to the main box, but it was certainly functional! We enjoyed it a couple times.

As it has a way of doing, life plans changed. This pop up actually went BACK to my parents, we swapped them for the '07 Jayco Jay Flight 31 BHDS travel trailer they were trying to sell; long story short, we moved (not far) houses and there was a gap that we needed housing for, so instead of renting for a while we just camped in the trailer. My parents continue to use and enjoy the pop up. They aren't the type of people to continue working on it, so it will likely stay in it's current shape until the wheels fall off. I am happy with it though, it was an awesome experience and love the way it ended up.

For more info, lol, that travel trailer we have now is WAAYYY too big for our family - its nice 'camping' in it but it is too much for my truck, and storing it at the house is difficult (i.e. paying to store it down the road so I don't have a hulk in my driveway or shoved into the corner of my property). The plan is to trade it in for either a new hybrid or pop up. Probably won't need to DIY a new pop up that much lol, but hey. I will post a new owner's thread at that point. Stay tuned!

Sjm9911 likes this.