2000 Coleman Fleetwood Furnace

Discussion in 'Heating / Cooling Systems' started by infotech, Nov 27, 2012.

1. infotech

infotech Member

The pilot light on the furnace won't lite. I checked the manual for this year and it doesn't mention the pilot light or much about gas use in general. I tried starting it about three different times throughout the day, but never had any luck. The procedure I used was to turn the power selector to gas, turned the gas knob to on - high, held it down and proceeded to punch in the red button about 15 times. It never lit... The heater blower inside the camper turned on, but it blew cold air. Any ideas of what I can do?

2. dpatnode

dpatnode New Member

What is the make and model of the heater. Are you sure you are lighting the heater and not the water heater. The heater should not have a pilot light unless it is pretty old. someone will chime in shortly with more knowledge than me but IIRC there are several things you should check.
    Thermostat, battery fully charged, air intake not blocked.

Hopes this helps.

3. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

Are you accessing these controls via a hatch on the outside (probably street side) of your camper? If so, it sounds to me like you are in the fridge control area. The process you described lights the fridge on propane. Are there red and green rocker switches in there, probably to the right of the gas control? If so, that is all for the fridge, not the furnace.

Since you have a 12-year-old furnace I'm not sure if it works the same way the newer ones do but I'll assume that's true for now. If so, there is no pilot light for the furnace. There is an electronic igniter. You just slide the thermostat lever to higher temperatures until the furnace fan starts and then wait. The sail switch will engage, the gas valve will open and then you'll hear the snapping sound of the igniter. The gas will ignite and hot air will begin blowing out of the grille.

However, there are a couple of things you need to check. First, be sure you have gas in the propane cylinder, that its valve is open and that the lines have been bled of air (run the stove a few minutes to do this). Then, check the thermostat for an On/Off switch. These are sometimes hard to see and very stiff to move. Be sure it is set to On. Also, check under the furnace grille for a Reset switch. Be sure it is set to On. Then you should be good to go.

4. infotech

infotech Member

Thanks for the reply. You are right, I was looking at the refrigerator controls. I found the on/off switch for the furnace and the thermostat. I turn them on and get cold air. I never hear the clicking/popping sounds and the air never heats up. I did light the stove to push all the air out like you mentioned, but still nothing. Is the gas line always open for the furnace or is there a way to shut it off that I may be missing? I've followed the line all the way back to the gas tank, but don't see any thing.

5. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

Did you check the Reset switch under the furnace grille?

6. infotech

infotech Member

Yes, I tried the reset switch. It is more like an on/off breaker switch. When I turn it off, the blower turns off. When I turn it on, the thermostat will control the furnace by turning it on and off depending on the setting, but it never heats up.

7. PNW Family

PNW Family New Member

A thought/question for the more veteran people here that might help him... if it IS getting fuel and there's a spark or ignition problem (such as the igniter board), wouldn't he smell propane coming out the furnace exhaust after a couple minutes?

8. smit1088

smit1088 Well-Known Member

He could be like me and have the battery wired backwards. Then the fan in the furnace will run backwards and never let the sail switch even attempt to send gas to be ignited. With the battery backwards everything else seems to work fine but the furnace. White wire on the Negative and black wire on the positive for Coleman.

9. Fless

Fless Active Member

Ditto on the battery polarity. I had trouble getting the furnace burner to light in my '88 Coleman Sun Valley on battery power and finally determined that someone had reversed the polarity on the battery terminal clips. (My Sun Valley has a manual pilot light; yours probably doesn't; but that may not matter.)

It might help to see if it will ignite properly on shore power first, without a battery, then once that works try it OFF the shore power and ON the battery alone. If you are good with a voltmeter that would help to check the polarity and voltage at the furnace. Be sure that you're getting the minimum required voltage to the furnace, otherwise the fan won't turn fast enough to open the sail switch.

I have also heard that wasps can get into the exhaust and build small nests on the fan blades; although fairly rare, I think, that could keep the fan from spinning fast enough.

Let us know how it's going....

10. rabird

rabird Howdy!

Here's some interesting reading.
    Go directly to the troubleshooting if you must, page 28
    http://bryantrv.com/docs2/docs/hflameservice.pdf

I heard a good whack can help [LOL]

No other gas cut off except for the regulator/gas valve (lower left in pic)

Newer models, the on/off switch is a circuit breaker with blinking led light/diagnostic.
    Probing different parts at the appropriate time with a volt meter may be helpful.

[​IMG]

11. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member

Smit1088 that's awesome!! I'm not the only one Hahaha! I'd like to blame the situation on the PO but not so sure I can! Oh well, a little head scratching as to why it worked perfectly on 110 but not battery and I got it... cheap fix - only cost a little pride Haha!

12. smit1088

smit1088 Well-Known Member

Yeah, I'm always happy to find out others have shared my enjoyment of the mysterious furnace. I did the backwards wiring on our first trip with our first camper. Had duct tape covering holes in the canvas, but we were all so excited to use the camper. So late fall I load the DW and little DD up and while packing I let the furnace run and get it nice and toasty inside. All worked perfect!
    Well let me tell you when your getting ready for bed and the temps are dropping fast the family is looking at you, it is a little nerve wracking. And the wife asking "didn't you check that at home?" always helps. Still fun trip to remember. Now I hope to help others not make the same mistake

13. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member

I know it all too well smit!! After I figured out my "furnace problem" I called my brother to tell him I'd figured it out without him... half way into my explanation he began laughing rather hysterically... turns out he had his hooked up backwards for about 2 years Hahaha. Good times!!