2000 Coleman Sun Valley Cable needed

Discussion in 'Lift Systems' started by Rob Hibbard, Aug 3, 2011.

1. Rob Hibbard

Rob Hibbard New Member

Hi gang,
    I posted my broken cable problem several months ago and got a LOT of good info. I finally got the cable out and ran into another problem--my local dealer says Coleman is out of business and out of parts inventory as well. I've gone local to try and get a new cable but the problem isn't the cable, it is the one end that has the bolt with the cable attached to it. No one has that part! Help! My popup is a 2000 Coleman Sun Valley that sleeps 8. The cable runs under the whole trailer and is easily accessible. I remember everyone saying NOT to try to repair the old cable, but I gotta find a new one too! Course repairing it doesn't mean it would go through the pulley system. Where can I find a new cable?
    Thanks for any assistance,

Rob Hibbard

2. dgeddes

dgeddes Member

Try a different dealer, I'm thinking this dealer isn't trying hard enough to get you a part. If they think you are going to pay them to fix it they might try a little harder. Some folks have had luck with Beckley's in MD, they bought a lot of the remaining inventory when the factory closed.

http://www.beckleysrvs.com/

And there are others in this forum that have been able to make their own cables, hopefully one of them will help you with a source.

3. Shaman1

Shaman1 Well-Known Member

Rob that year Coleman has 1/4 in stainless steel aircraft cable. If the cable is ok, what part is the problem? The crimp? Bolt? Sorry I can't visualize the part you need.

4. papachaz

papachaz New Member

you can get new stainless cable at Home Depot, Lowes, Ace Hardware, as well as the crimps. i had one break and just went to HD and bought some cable, taped the end to the broken end, pulled it back through, looped it through the eyebolt and crimped it. was easy enough. I called the closest RV dealer to me to price cables, and his answer was they make them when they need them. heck if he can do it, i can do it, and so can you!

5. dgeddes

dgeddes Member

6. Shaman1

Shaman1 Well-Known Member

That's what I thought as well, but not certain that's the reason for the question.

7. Rob Hibbard

Rob Hibbard New Member

Cable I can get--I used to work at an Ace Hardware myself. The problem is the cable is broken between the ends so I need not just the cable but the threaded bolt at the end that has the locking nut on it. This lets you adjust the tension of the cable once it is in. The cable is crimped into a tube that is attached to the bolt. The bolt with the tube is the problem! I'll try the dealership mentioned. Thanks!