2000 Starcraft Spacemaster Wiring Troubleshooting

Discussion in 'Wiring' started by Kent Schrad, Sep 24, 2019.

1. Kent Schrad

Kent Schrad New Member

Hi all. First post here. Bought a 2000 Starcraft Spacemaster with some mice damage as a fall project.

The DC system wasn't working and I've troubleshooted it to this point where I am looking for a tip. Quick rundown on what I've done:

Replaced the battery and fuses.
    Plugged into shore power and seems like the converter is fine (lights work on shore power).

The issue seems to be at the battery connection and/or the connection to the trailer. I hooked the battery positive to the black wire that goes to the pup and get power. So the issue with how it was originally connected is to the trailer harness (or it is fauly).

I've attached the schematic (with my drawing of where Im confused). If I splice the battery to the wire into the camper I have power.

The issue seems to be that when I connect it to what runs to the TV it goes to the top right prong on this harness. With the 4 flat connection nothing touches this harness and power doesnt go back into the PUP.

Attached is the picture of that harness. First off, what plug is this? I searched and found a 6 square but that doesnt touch the two right most prongs.

Second, the previous owner connected a 4 flat to this. It seems like I could just scrap this harness and change it to a 7 pin? Would like to set up a trickle charge back to the battery if possible.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. Kerry L. Calkins

Kerry L. Calkins New Member

Kent:

I have a 1995 Starcraft (model is Comet). I just installed a new Parallax Converter. I learned a few things in the process, and some my be of value to you.

Questions:
    1 - What kind of converter do you have?

<Note: My old converter was a MagnaTek (which was acquired by Parallax), but it did NOT have a 12v circuit from 12v side to charge the battery using shore power (110v stepped down to 12v). My new converter does. One of the reasons I upgraded. Converter trickle: If battery is low it sends 12v, until it is close to full, then sends low trickle charge 2-3v until the battery is at 12-13v.>

2 - With the PUP plugged into shore power, does it trickle charge your battery? <Note: You can do voltage test with multi-meter on the red wire from converter (the one that has the inline fuse) to battery (+). If charging should be 12-13v. >

3 - Regarding the schematic (pic) you attached:
    A - I assume that as you look at the battery (from the battery front ... left to right in diagram) the left side is (+) and right is (-). In the schematic (about your red arrow) ... my take is ... (a) the 12v red wire from converter with inline fuse should be the trickle charge wire,
    (b) Not sure about the other solid red wire from converter. I see no purpose as relates to the trailer /truck connector cable. Remember the truck trickle only goes to the battery not the trailer converter.
    B - I assume in the schematic that the connector in upper right corner is the Trailer (frame side) in frame plug.
    C - On the schematic the solid wire from the bat (-) that ends in a open connector ... should be where the (+) 12v trickle from truck alternator connects into PUP through the truck/trailer connection. In my PUP, the female trailer side, on lower left is the (+) 12v from truck.
    < Note: My truck connector is 7 pin round. My trailer connector is double flat 7 pin (same as yours). Rather than change the trailer side plug to round 7 pin, I use an adapter from round to flat at the truck side of my connection cable secured with wire ties.>

3. Kerry L. Calkins

Kent ...

Other things I learned was Bonded Ground vs Bonded Neutral. In my PUP and with my Parallax converter, the shore power 110v (which inmy case is transformed down to a 30 amp service) is a bonded ground. That is to say that the 110v source power is grounded on the house or camp ground side and NOT grounded to the trailer. The 12v converter output and the whole 12v side of the PUP is a bonded neutral. That is to say that the 12v side is grounded to the trailer frame only. In my PUP, the main ground on converter box is NOT wired to the frame. All the white neutrals and the battery (-) are grounded only to the trailer frame. In my old MagnaTek the converter box was grounded to the trailer frame. This was because the old converter had separate 110v and 12v sides. You could only use 110v or 12v not both. It had a switch for 110v / OFF / 12v.

4. Kerry L. Calkins

Kent ..

I hope this makes sense and provides you with some assistance. Let me know if you have questions.

Kerry

5. Kent Schrad

Kent Schrad New Member

I realized there was another thread with this similar question. But I figured out my issue, and it was that the Starcraft harness on the trailer tounge only had a 6 pin pigtail attached to it and it needed the 8 pin. I bought this and it solved my issue. Thanks for the response though!

RV Pigtails 40025 Starcraft 7-8 Way Pigtail - Blue, 36" https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007NWW8ZI/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_Yv2JDbA2YX6WN